Flower girl (almost freakin done!)

Started by toonaholic, Tue 08/04/2008 17:10:15

Previous topic - Next topic

toonaholic

This is my first game using AGS, it is actually my first game ever. My motivation was really to learn more about scripting.  I really wanted to draw something that was really pop cartoon like.  It may sound weird by my game is based off of a picture I drew that I liked.  My inspiration is 1950's and 60's cartoon backgrounds.  I started the game way before I had a plot so I am kinda making it up as I go along.  But here is what I got so far.

story:
There is a little village atop a mountain that has been plagued with a horrible wind storm during planting season.  There seed carts have been blown away. And they have no seed to plant for the harvest.  A little girl who for now I call flower is sent down to the valley to retrieve some seed from an ancient storehouse in a cave.  When she gets there she finds the cave not as accessible as she had hoped. Of coarse she meets all sorts of creatures that can help her if she can help them. I have been working on it for less than a month and I am hoping to have it done in less than 2 more months.  I am also struggling with how much animation I should put into it. 

so here is the new text I am playing around compare with the above image.  I am not sure this will be the final but I think it looks neat.

this is my new character I just added yesterday. (notice my new save icon, it is supposed to be a life preserver but I am not sure how well it comes out or makes sense. I plan to post the whole bar in critics lounge when I figure out what the heck to do with the restore icon.)

update on music 4/10/08: I think I figured out what to do for music my sisters husband has some good instrumental pieces that I hopefully can use.  I just need his permission, which I am pretty sure he will give me.

My hope is to get some old comic book artist friends of mine to make characters for the game to promote themselves, and to use as promo at cons. getting their art is also slowing me up. because I don't even know what they are going to draw and I need to work em' into the story. 

update9/14/08:  well I took break for a while. and recently came back to finish my beta version of flower girl.  I expect to have the beta up soon to play and hopefully get some feedback and maybe some pointers. considering this is my first game I am pretty happy. so I guess this update is to say expect it sooooooon! 

Progress

Story: 100%
Puzzles: 85%
Dialogue: 40%
Game Screens: 99.9%
Music:100%
Sound Effects: 80%
Animation: not too sure how much I want maybe 40%
Scripting: 60%

SSH

Make sure you import a font, as the default one jars with your artwork. But otherwise, it looks cool (as I said on your blog ;) )

toonaholic

Quote from: SSH on Tue 08/04/2008 17:19:45
Make sure you import a font, as the default one jars with your artwork. But otherwise, it looks cool (as I said on your blog ;) )

I know I have been experimenting with some but haven't found the right one yet. thanks

bicilotti

egamer

I always like it when people come up with new, original icons for look, talk, walk, etc.  If you could come up with icons for save, restore, and exit, rather than just text, that would be very nice.

miguel

Hi Toonaholic,
the drawings look pretty cool and professional, as for the animations I would add as much as you can because it really boosts the quality of games.
Good luck
Working on a RON game!!!!!

toonaholic

Quote from: egamer on Wed 09/04/2008 05:06:38
If you could come up with icons for save, restore, and exit, rather than just text, that would be very nice.

I think maybe your right I just wanted to avoid using the little disks with the arrows. I need something representative save, exit and restore that someone won't look at and be like, what the heck does that mean?

Quote from: miguel on Wed 09/04/2008 13:43:34
as for the animations I would add as much as you can because it really boosts the quality of games.
Good luck
I think what I may do is release a version with minimal animation and then go back and add some more inbetween frames to cycles and cut scenes after the whole game is worked out and not  so buggy.  considering I am doing the whole thing by myself  and I want to focus more on what I can do than how frilly I can make it. I will keep you all posted on my final decisions.

Vince Twelve

This looks charming as hell.  I love the characters!  Keep up the good work!

Ali

This looks super-cool. I think you should stick with 'Flower Girl' it's a lovely name. Good luck with finding a musician and a more suitable font.

CosmoQueen

I love the way this looks! Flower is really adorable!
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

toonaholic

thanks guys! I am really glad to hear you all like my characters.  and maybe I will stick with "flower girl" as a name. at this point nothing else really seems to fit. although flowers really don't have much to do with the plot. the reason I called it flower girl is because the first time I drew the character she had a flower in her hand and I needed a caption for the pic. http://bp3.blogger.com/_Po5KTaJnV94/R-0oOx6JGpI/AAAAAAAAACM/Bt_-ni6U5SQ/s1600-h/flowergirl_final_small.jpg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk