Prillerman Avenue in Production

Started by cerchier, Mon 14/04/2008 21:35:49

Previous topic - Next topic

cerchier

Hello all,

I've spent quite some time, over a year, playing the games here as well as reading the forums.  In the past month I've decided to learn the AGS system and make my own game.  This will be my first game--excuse the graphics, I hand drew with paint and will pick up better skills, shading, lighting, better looking gui's, how to draw hands  ;D as I progress.

Prillerman Avenue is a Horror Survival game that begins with the main character, who is called John Doe as he can't remember his name.  John was on his way to a blind date which normally he would avoid, but at the insistence of a friend he decided to go.  The game begins as he awakes in a hospital and tries to understand how he came to be there.  He soon learns that to trust either the patients or the staff is a gamble that can mean the difference between life and death.  John tries to make sense of the info they reveal bit by bit, such as The Investors, called saviors by some and devils by others, the problem with time in the hospital, which can fluctuate and to get trapped in the wrong time most likely equals certain death.   John must make his way to Prillerman Avenue, and the Investors,  to solve the mystery of his circumstances and a way out of the nightmare.

Prillerman Avenue is the first in a 3 part series. 
Part Two is The Investors, where John finds The Investman Building and must make his way through it, gain the knowledge he needs to survive, and come out alive. 
Part 3 is Untitled and will revolve around him using what he knows from the Investment Building to try and finally end the nightmare.

When will it be released?
ETA: that previous time is no longer feasible.  Will update with appropriate date as it nears.

Is Prillerman Avenue the definitive title?
Prillerman Avenue is the title for the first game.

How many acts does the game have?
I'm not sure what this means but I will say 4 as there are 3 floors and 1 part outside.

Will it be free?
Yes

- graphics 65%
- puzzles 70%
- scripting 55%
--story 100%
--sound 0%

Update:
First Part:  100%
Second Part:  80%
Third Part:  0%
Fourth Part:  0%
Welcome to the Monkeyhouse.

ShadeJackrabbit

Wow! The graphics may not be the best ever, but the story sounds great!

cerchier

Quote from: ShadeJackrabbit on Mon 14/04/2008 22:24:17
Wow! The graphics may not be the best ever, but the story sounds great!

;D Yeah, I think you're being a bit nice about the graphics but thanks about the story.

I'm working on a few new rooms tonight so I'll try to improve the look.

Ubel

The graphics look nicely old school. Not Sierra/LucasArts but AGS old school. Reminds me of a lot of some of the older AGS games. Sure, they're not the best around but they're not horrible either.

The story does sound very good. Good luck with this!

Angel Dust

I might be keen to do some graphics for this if you want. I'm no pro but I've been mucking around drawing sprites and backgrounds and think I'd like to try something. Since my game ideas are going nowhere at the mo would you be keen to have my aboard?

cerchier

Thanks Pablo.  It's coming along on time so far.

Angel Dust-What did you have in mind?

vertigoaddict

This looks like a lot of fun, my imagination is kicking in and I automatically see better graphics... so, if you never got 'round to actually improving them, it'd be fine (of course, that's just me)

The second image reminds me of Helen in 'clock tower' (PS USA)
The concept reminds me of Silent Hill.
The current graphics remind me of 'Bestowers of Eternity'
Maybe it's just because I'm such big fans of these games, but that's a good thing.

Good luck with this!

Angel Dust

Quote from: cerchier on Tue 15/04/2008 15:54:12
Angel Dust-What did you have in mind?
I meant I could do all the art for this. Seems like a real great plot and I would like to help make it look better. I am working on a background and a couple of characters at the moment. I'll send them, or post them here, when I'm done and you can tell me what you think.

Dualnames

Well, ok you two. Get going with it... Anyway, it doesn;t look awful and it has a lot of blood in it. Which i like to see.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

cerchier

Thanks VertigoAddict.
Dualnames it's still going on schedule.

Angel Dust--It seems like it would better if we collaborated on the second game so we can go from the beginning since I'm well into the second part of this game(been working on it all morning).  That way the second game will be an improvement on the art :)

Snake

Hey, this sounds like it'll be a good game!

Pablo is right, it looks very old-school AGS - which I love very much. I miss AGS games that look like this. You don't see them very often anymore ;)

It reminds me of early Reality-on-the-Norm.
It also reminds me of Men in Brown - which I used to like very much...

hmm, maybe I'll go play that one now...

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Angel Dust

Quote from: cerchier on Wed 16/04/2008 16:56:02
Angel Dust--It seems like it would better if we collaborated on the second game so we can go from the beginning since I'm well into the second part of this game(been working on it all morning).  That way the second game will be an improvement on the art :)
While I would like to get in on this first episode I understand you probably want to get it out without the added, and most likely fairly large, delay. There could always be an Ep1 Redux I guess  ;D
Anyway heres a background and with a character in it. It's my first attempt at a background and about my 3rd at a character so it's not perfect, and I would add more detail and props (like a light for the mysterious light source  ;D)  to the background, but maybe it's a start?

cerchier

Thanks, Snake.  I hope it will be.

Angel Dust, wow.  I'm reconsidering my previous statement.  So let's say we went through with this, and it will be a delay, how soon would you be able to complete the art?  To give you an idea of where I'm at, there are currently 10 rooms on the first floor, but 4 deal with time shifts so they are similar rooms that have been altered---for example Hallway and Hallway1.  There are 4 characters on that floor.  The second floor is what I'm working on now so I can't give you accurate numbers.

Angel Dust

So there are 6 individual rooms on the first floor? Shouldn't be too tricky. That first room took a little while, about 6 hours, but only because I'm still learning how to use GraphicsGale, do shadowing etc. Subsequent rooms should get quicker and a better finish. The time shifts (sounds interesting  ;D) will probably be pretty easy since the room geometry and shading will be in place. Probably just a matter of coloring (maybe do them grayscale or a sepia tint?) and different props for those ones. Characters I can go pretty fast with. Will only the main character be walking or will other characters need walk cycles too?

I also made a little animation for that guy in the room there of him coughing blood. Would you like little details like that and do have any ideas of what other animations you might need?

Just give me some drawings of the rooms with prefered colours, if you have any, and we'll see how I go. If it takes too long well we can just use them later but I think we should be able to do this.

Edit: Oh yeah how many inventory items do you need too? I doubt they will be that hard but still it's something to consider.

Cluey

It's good that you've found a good artist for you project (just don't lose the retro AGS feel), and there need to be more horror mystery/thriller games to outweigh all the farce.

Angel Dust, you should try to keep conversation pertaining to the development to PM, otherwise this thread could get very long with just two people talking lol.
Aramore
My webcomic.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Cluey on Fri 18/04/2008 13:57:26Angel Dust, you should try to keep conversation pertaining to the development to PM, otherwise this thread could get very long with just two people talking lol.

I've got you all trained so well ;)

Take heed to what Cluey said please!  It's great if you two hookup for this project ... but take the "team" part outside this thread and leave it for updates and the like.

Thanks.

brokenbutterfly

Angel Dust's art is great!! But I really hope you will keep a bit of your own art, cerchier, because even though it's old school, and some people don't like it, I really do!

It has its own style, compared to Angel Dust's which is too smooth, too beautiful... how to explain?  :-\ Don't take me wrong, I do like both.

Apart from that, I'm really looking forward to playing this game, nice storyline, and thanks for making it survival horror! There aren't many of them in AGS. Shame because I love chillers  :-*

cerchier

Thanks Brokenbutterfly.  I love survival horror too and Angel Dust's art but I think we will collab on the next game.

CosmoQueen

Very original story, I can't wait to play it! :)
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk