Another Attempt at 3D

Started by lo_res_man, Tue 15/04/2008 04:01:55

Previous topic - Next topic

lo_res_man

Heres is my latest attempt at 3D modeling.

Its not very good, but I like to think it is much better then the first one I put up here.
So anything you can say would be welcome, but informed critiques would be most beneficial.
Thank you
Lo_Res_Man
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

None

I must have missed your first ONE? Please reply with a link to your old topic thread? As for how it looks, only thing I don't like is the cone at the bottom, something about the way it's colored seems incongrous with the rest of the uh, rocketship?
7/10 Stars[*******''']

cat

I like it! It looks like it has been taken from a Wallace and Gromit movie  :D

Buckethead

hey nice for a 2nd attempt! You got a nice shape going on. Can we see the wireframe? Then we can critic on the modeling it self.

lo_res_man

Heres the wire frame in an isometric type view.
ShonenAiGuy
This isn't my second model, just the second model I have shared with this admittedly wonderful community. The nozzle of the rocket is actually the same material as the the fins and nose-spike, so the incongruities must be from lighting.
THIS was my first model, http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=31717.0 and the first model that looked like something,

The Restroom Wall

None

You did that in ANIM8R?  I always found Anim8r interface counter-intuitive. As in, I'm too stupid to use it properly! LOL, I'd love to see you use Anim8r in combination with Google Sketchup Pro, then export it to a high-class render/lighting program, would be majorly sweet.

lo_res_man

I would but the reason I use anim8or is that its FREE. Google Sketchup Pro costs over $200, not in my budget. As for lighting I haven't delved into that part of anim8or,s so the problems are most likely inexperience, things a 'high-class render/lighting program' are unlikely to solve. But thanks for the compliment.
The Restroom Wall

None

Not gonna mention, illegal downloads, not gonna, not gonna, not gonna.  :o

lo_res_man

Not gonna do, illegal downloads, not gonna, not gonna, not gonna. 
That would be. . . dishonourable. >:(
Except Abandonware. ;)
The Restroom Wall

Captain Lexington

All right, Lo Res Men! We can start a club! "People Too Honorable to Download things Illegally Except Abandonware."

I think it'd just be us.

I tried Anim8r back when Moray was fritzing out on me, didn't like it so much.

For free, though, I used Moray for years.

Now I use Blender.

I'd recommend either, but Blender moreso.

Of course, that is, if your unhappy with Anim8r. And it doesn't seem like you are.

I'm just rambling on and on and on and on...

EDIT: Where are my manners?

Very nice! Those graphics are perfectly workable in a 2D adventure game, my only criticism is in design: I would myself make the rocket skinnier. That's all.

InCreator

Nothing much to crit here.
With minimal poly count and a minimal idea, you achieved maximum result making a minimalistic model.

It looks nice, if that's what you want to hear.
But there's nothing to improve or change, in my opinion. It almost feels like when someone draws circles 8 hours a day, for 40 years, and then, one day - draws another circle & asks what people think about it.

It's simply well done.
You can model a cartoony rocket.

Try something more challenging next time.

And - http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

lo_res_man

Actually its like someone who drew circles for a few years, tried to sculpt a sphere couldn't do it, couldn't do it, stopped tried again, did a cube, but couldn't grasp the sphere, then FINALLY something clicked, And then they did this. This is simplistic yes, but its the most complex thing I have ever done in 3D.  It took me about 12 hours. I am already working on another thing, and it will be more complex then this.
The Restroom Wall

Stupot

I feel it should have four of those little yellow things (i don't know what they're called) instead of 2... for symmetry's sake mainly.

I don't have a lot else to add other than it reminds me of Magikarp!

lo_res_man

Well, I was 'instructed' to do something more complex, so here is my next attempt. . .

I don't understand why the bump mapping doesn't bump the entire castle. . .
The Restroom Wall

InCreator

* Don't know which software you use, but castle bump map might be partial because of improper or missing UV map. In 3ds Max I would probably group whole castle together and apply UV mapping to whole. UV map also seems to fail on tower crenelations
* The ground/sand looks a bit too low-poly and boring. Sharper texture and more bumps could fix it.
* The handle is clearly too large for such a small bucket. But maybe there are toys like this? Not sure really, it just looks kinda weird.
* The shovel looks magnificent. Even a bit out of the place since everything else looks very simple and "doable in few minutes". But shovel is much more complex and... well, if I had to remodel it, I wouldn't know where to start.
* Moving bucket a bit lower on Z axis, through ground plane, would give more realistic look - like it were inside the sand.
* Shadows?

Anyway, it looks quite cool. A bit smoother (chamfered) edges on castle, higher camera angle (too much empty space on image) and it would be perfect.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk