Possible to make a Dragon's Lair type game with AGS?

Started by Renodox, Tue 15/04/2008 21:20:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Renodox

I've just recently seen a playthrough of the game "Braindead 13" on YouTube and it gave me some ideas for game plots for that that kind of game.  Unfortunately, I don't know if it'd be possible to make something like that on this system.

Other games in this Genre are "Dragon's Lair 1 & 2" and "Space Ace."  Does anyone know if they can be made on AGS?

TwinMoon

Dragon's Lair is certainly possible.

It does require of lot of experience scripting.

GarageGothic

It should be quite easy seeing as there's little to those games than pre-drawn animations triggered by correctly timed keypresses. You main concerns will be:

1) How to display the video. External video such as .AVI files may seem the way to go, but they often cause problems on machines with different codec packs installed (Diamonds in the Rough couldn't even start on my computer before I deleted the intro video). Users will also be able to watch all videos directly from the game's folder using media player. And as far as I know, the issue of a short black flash between in-game and video playing hasn't been solved yet. The FLI/FLC doesn't have this problem though, and may even be quite appropriate if you use less than 256 colors. However, I'd recommend using sprites instead, and a full-screen animated object, so you can use the View editor to synchronize sounds. And it will allow you to also animate the screen WHILE the player makes his choice.

2) To write a special function that triggers a timer and waits for either the player to press a key or the timer to end, and then plays the appropriate video and updates the game state. It's not as difficult as TwinMoon makes it sound, but it's something you should plan thoroughly so it's generic enough to work in every situation without dodgy location specific hacks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk