AGS 3.0.1 now available!

Started by Pumaman, Wed 16/04/2008 19:45:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Play_Pretend

Hey Chris, what about my bug? :)  The voice actor lines-producing tool won't recognize "narrator" as a character in the dialogs.  It gave me one error for each time narrator was used, even though the game runs fine with it.

rock_chick

Don't want to be a nag but when the download page is updated will it say you're downloading the current version because even though the installer downloads are for this version it still mentions it as 3.0?

Vince Twelve

Just a minor issue that was giving me a little trouble for a couple days.  The drop down menu at the top of the script is incredibly useful for me, but the other day, it stopped recognizing functions beyond script line 10,000 and I couldn't figure out why.  I thought it might have been an issue with scripts longer than 10,000 lines, but then I figured out that in the function around that line, I had an un-terminated bracket in a comment block.  Something like:

/*
blah blah blah
function something(){
*/

Simply closing that bracket made the whole thing work again, but it was giving me a headache for a while.  It seems like the editor should avoid comment blocks when making the function name list.  Terribly minor, but just pointing it out!

Pumaman

QuoteHey Chris, what about my bug?   The voice actor lines-producing tool won't recognize "narrator" as a character in the dialogs.  It gave me one error for each time narrator was used, even though the game runs fine with it.

I'm not ignoring you, I just haven't had time to investigate that one yet. I didn't want to post a reply to it until I had something definitive to say :)

QuoteDon't want to be a nag but when the download page is updated will it say you're downloading the current version because even though the installer downloads are for this version it still mentions it as 3.0?

Well, 3.0 really includes 3.0.x because you can think of the original release as 3.0.0, and the new one as 3.0.1 -- and the text on the download page applies to both. So "3.0" seems to cover all bases ;)

QuoteI thought it might have been an issue with scripts longer than 10,000 lines, but then I figured out that in the function around that line, I had an un-terminated bracket in a comment block.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

fovmester

I love the new zoom function!

I think I found a bug though:

I imported my game from 3.0.0 and now all of my rooms have a black border in the editor. It is like the background is smaller than the room size. See this image:

When I try to reimport the background image I get the question if I really want to import this background since it is of another size than what is already there and all my hotspots and so on will disappear. My guess is that this is a bug related to the zoom function. When I zoom the amount of black frame changes and it even vanishes at the highest zoom level. Could it be that the size of the room somehow becomes different from the background because of the zoom?  There is no problem when I run the game, it is just that I cannot import a new background over the old ones. Which I need to do since I want to change almost every background in my game (my new lcd revealed that the colors are too bright).
The background size is normally 640 x 480, but the same black border appears also when the size of the background is larger.

subspark

BUG: It seems that timers might be broken.
I can't get the following code, taken from the manual, to work:

Code: ags
SetTimer(1, 300);
  if (IsTimerExpired(1) == 1) {
    Display("Timer expired");
  }

The only way around it I could find was to do this:
int fbtimer = 1; 

if (fbtimer == 200) {
    fbtimer = 0;
    }
  else if (fbtimer == 0) {}
  else {
      fbtimer ++;
    }

I'm working on getting a test game to you for those unresolved bugs, Chris. Internet finally gets relocated 7pm tonight so no more webcafes.

Cheers,
Paul.

SSH

Quote from: subspark on Wed 23/04/2008 08:03:58
SetTimer(1, 300);
  if (IsTimerExpired(1) == 1) {
  }

If you put SetTimer right in front of the if statement, you'll keep resetting the timer to 300.

Megoru

Hi there, this is my first post here. I've downloaded AGS 3.0.1 but I can't get it work. It throws an IndexOutOfRangeException when I click "Finish" on the Start New Game wizard.

I tried formatting my laptop cause I was also having problems with a .net framework update but I'm still getting the same error.

AGS 2.7.2 seems to work fine.

Here's the stack trace:

---------------------------
Adventure Game Studio
There was an error creating your game. The error was: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

Error details: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

at System.Globalization.DateTimeFormatInfo.InsertHash(TokenHashValue[] hashTable, String str, TokenType tokenType, Int32 tokenValue)

at System.Globalization.DateTimeFormatInfo.CreateTokenHashTable()

at System.Globalization.DateTimeFormatInfo.Tokenize(TokenType TokenMask, TokenType& tokenType, Int32& tokenValue, __DTString& str)

at System.__DTString.GetSeparatorToken(DateTimeFormatInfo dtfi)

at System.DateTimeParse.Lex(DS dps, __DTString& str, DateTimeToken& dtok, DateTimeRawInfo& raw, DateTimeResult& result, DateTimeFormatInfo& dtfi)

at System.DateTimeParse.TryParse(String s, DateTimeFormatInfo dtfi, DateTimeStyles styles, DateTimeResult& result)

at System.DateTimeParse.Parse(String s, DateTimeFormatInfo dtfi, DateTimeStyles styles)

at System.DateTime.Parse(String s, IFormatProvider provider)

at System.Convert.ToDateTime(String value)

at AGS.Types.SerializeUtils.DeserializeFromXML(Object obj, XmlNode node)

at AGS.Types.Settings.FromXml(XmlNode node)

at AGS.Types.Game.FromXml(XmlNode node)

at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.LoadGameFile(String fileName)

at AGS.Editor.Tasks.LoadGameFromDisk(String gameToLoad, Boolean interactive)

at AGS.Editor.GUIController.ShowNewGameWizard()
OK   

rock_chick

With this many bugs would it be a good idea to change the download version on the website back to 3.0 until this version is a bit more stable?

Also on a slightly unrelated note, I once imported a normal size background for my game for a room and it said it wasn't the correct size yet nothing seemed to be a problem but that was with 3.0, anyone else had this happen or is there a thread for mentioning these things for that specific version?

Pumaman

QuoteI imported my game from 3.0.0 and now all of my rooms have a black border in the editor. It is like the background is smaller than the room size. See this image:

That black border is just a visual artefact, it's nothing to worry about.

QuoteWhen I try to reimport the background image I get the question if I really want to import this background since it is of another size than what is already there and all my hotspots and so on will disappear.

Is your game resolution still the same as when you first imported the background? With the room open, check the "Visual" section of the properties pane and verify what Resolution, Width and Height the room is. Then, double-check the Resolution in the Game Settings, and match this against the new image that you're trying to import.

Do they all match up?

QuoteBUG: It seems that timers might be broken.
I can't get the following code, taken from the manual, to work:

As SSH says, you're constantly resetting the timer so it will never expire. Where is this example in the manual?

QuoteHi there, this is my first post here. I've downloaded AGS 3.0.1 but I can't get it work. It throws an IndexOutOfRangeException when I click "Finish" on the Start New Game wizard.

Hmm, what locale are your Regional Settings set to in Windows? (in particular, the date and time formats)
This looks like a problem trying to interpret a date/time, but I haven't seen any reports of this before.

QuoteWith this many bugs would it be a good idea to change the download version on the website back to 3.0 until this version is a bit more stable?

The only bug that has been reported where 3.0.1 is worse than 3.0 is that the Demo Game doesn't compile. I'd agree that this is a fairly serious issue, but I'm not going to roll back because of it.

Ghost

Re Baseline:

The room's 740X320 at 320x240 resolution. The walkbehind area is for a bench covering a square (top left 500/180, bottom right 50,200), and the baseline was set to 195.
As described, I set that line while in the largest zoom, and it disappeared when returning to the default second marker.

I tried to reproduce the effect but haven't found it to happen again, so it might've been a system glitch caused by too fast mouse movement or whatever...

rock_chick

Quote from: Pumaman on Wed 23/04/2008 19:20:11
The only bug that has been reported where 3.0.1 is worse than 3.0 is that the Demo Game doesn't compile. I'd agree that this is a fairly serious issue, but I'm not going to roll back because of it.
I know this may have been asked before and the answer is probably yes but is this an issue you're working on? For me it's no big deal but it might be for people who've never used the program before or hardly at all.

I just thought all the reports of problems were probably bugs so that's why I said what I did, didn't realise they actually weren't.

Off topic but why did you feel the need to change the interface in 3.0 from 2.72 so drastically? I found the older one much more user friendly and involved less coding.

Gilbert

Quote from: rock_chick on Thu 24/04/2008 10:22:06
Off topic but why did you feel the need to change the interface in 3.0 from 2.72 so drastically? I found the older one much more user friendly and involved less coding.

As explained by CJ in the original thread:
Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 15/01/2007 23:24:45
What does this have in store? Well, there have been various requests for features in the editor that simply weren't possible because of the editor's design, and its code was so messy that I was having trouble understanding it whenever I had to make updates.

So, I decided it was time to cut the losses and rewrite the editor from scratch. This alpha preview release is earlier on in the development process than where I'd normally unleash something on the public, but since it's a major change I thought it'd be good to get feedback early in case there are any big problems with it.

I've tried to design the new editor to be more Visual Studio-esque, so now rather than having a tree list with the main panes on it, and then sub-lists of Views (for example), it's all combined into a single treeview. You can also open multiple windows.

Personally I don't like the new editor either (I like AC roommake more :=), however as it's CJ's choice and already many people have been feeling comfortable with the new interface that why not?

subspark

I on the other hand LOVE the new interface and aside from it looking and behaving astronomically more professional, I feel it reflects a more modern game development environment.

TOP work Chris!
Cheers,
Paul.

Megoru

Quote from: Pumaman on Wed 23/04/2008 19:20:11
Hmm, what locale are your Regional Settings set to in Windows? (in particular, the date and time formats)
This looks like a problem trying to interpret a date/time, but I haven't seen any reports of this before.

Mmmh italian? Am I supposed to change something in my os? Never messed up with regional settings...

Well I'm a noob so I'm going to practice with the 2.7.2 version until a solution come up.

Mr.T

When working with Game.TranslationFilename I have to manually copy the TRA files
in the root folder of the game, or else it works only with the compiled files in the
compiled folder (where the TRA are compiled).

When importing GUI it works fine, then on reload of the game in the editor the sprites
are all stretched. (exported GUI with AGS 3.0.1, imported with AGS 3.0.1)

Seems like it rescale sprites to 320x240 I have to manually re-assign to each sprite that
it is 640x400, 640x480, 800x600.

Pumaman

QuoteI tried to reproduce the effect but haven't found it to happen again, so it might've been a system glitch caused by too fast mouse movement or whatever...

Hmm ok, well do let me know if you find a way to reproduce it.

QuoteI know this may have been asked before and the answer is probably yes but is this an issue you're working on? For me it's no big deal but it might be for people who've never used the program before or hardly at all.

Yes, I am planning to release a 3.0.2 update with the demo game fixed and some other bug fixes quite soon.

QuoteI just thought all the reports of problems were probably bugs so that's why I said what I did, didn't realise they actually weren't.

Most of them are bugs, but they are bugs that also affect 3.0. Therefore, 3.0.1 hasn't made the situation worse.

QuoteOff topic but why did you feel the need to change the interface in 3.0 from 2.72 so drastically? I found the older one much more user friendly and involved less coding.

As Gilbot has shown, there was a lot of discussion around this originally when the new editor was launched. That's all in the past now, so I don't think it'd be very useful to go over it again.

Quotemmh italian? Am I supposed to change something in my os? Never messed up with regional settings...

Well I'm a noob so I'm going to practice with the 2.7.2 version until a solution come up.

I've done some more investigation on this and it seems to be a .NET Framework bug if your Short Date Format has spaces in it -- I can reproduce the problem by changing my Regional Settings to be "dd MMM yyyy". I'll look into a workaround to fix this.

QuoteWhen working with Game.TranslationFilename I have to manually copy the TRA files
in the root folder of the game, or else it works only with the compiled files in the
compiled folder (where the TRA are compiled).

When importing GUI it works fine, then on reload of the game in the editor the sprites
are all stretched. (exported GUI with AGS 3.0.1, imported with AGS 3.0.1)

Seems like it rescale sprites to 320x240 I have to manually re-assign to each sprite that
it is 640x400, 640x480, 800x600.

I'll investigate these further.

QuoteI was trying out the Voice Actor tool, and when it went to export the text file, it brought back a bunch of errors saying "Unknown Character Name: Narrator", one error for each time I'd used Narrator: in my dialog scripts.  It ran fine in-game, so is this something I'm supposed to change just for the Voice Actor tool, or a bug?

I can reproduce this if I use "Narrator" in the dialog script; it's fine with "narrator". I'll get it fixed.

Quote* Preview option in Views doesn't display Flipped images; the original facing is displayed.

I can't reproduce this, it seems to work fine for me. Can you provide an example of this not working?

QuoteBUG: When I position a label on a gui, the game draws it about 5 pixels below where it was placed in the GUI editor.

I've traced this to a problem with the TTF font renderer, and will get it fixed.

azulencendido

Well, this is my first post here. Beside all the technical issues with the new versions (3.0x etc), i want to say a couple of things:
1. i'm amazing with the community forums because i've seen a really mature people (most of all, he!)  working for make the AGS the best FREE game development software. So i think you are the best community. ;)
2. I think we need keep supporting CJ, because doing all this hard work and besides FREE for bastards like us, is because CJ (i think) must love bastards like us!!!! ;D
3. The new Zoom Buttons, Transparent Buttons and the Drag and Drop settings, and the all new features on AGS 3.0.1 are indeed excellent upgrades, i don't see the need to return to 2.7.2 style.  3.0.1 looks more professional.
4. Long Live to AGS and its community, thank You Guys , and thank you CJ, for your dream!!!! :'(  (read this line with Mickey Mouse's voice, TY)

Pumaman

Hehe thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it :)

subspark

Welcome azulencendido!
We too share your excitement for AGS and this wonderfull community!

Cheers,
Paul. :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk