AGS 3.0.1 now available!

Started by Pumaman, Wed 16/04/2008 19:45:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Electroshokker

BUG REPORT

*EDITED*

the move-on-mouse click functionality doesn't seem to be working anymore after changing a room. (I can click anywhere on the walkable area, the character doesn't move!)

Only when clicking on an object, it seems to get back to normal, as any following clicks on the walkable area DO make the character walk to that spot again.

I thought it had something to do with the view being locked, but it turned out to be unrelated.

After a changeroom the character is unable to move when clicking on a walkable area (to test, I've put a walkable area over the entire room).

------------------------------

After a lot of testing, it hit me that this problem ONLY occurs if the player character's starting room is room 1.

I removed all code in this room, but STILL the problem persists.

I can bypass the problem by starting in another room (if I make the player character's first room room 2 or so, everything works as it should.

Pumaman

Sounds like there's something happening in your room 1 that is disabling the mouse. Did this problem start happening when you upgraded to 3.0.1? Were you using 2.72 or 3.0 before?

freshpaint

I'm not certain whether this helps or confuses: I had problems with clicks in room 1 too (on a gui with buttons). No error messages, but it seemed like the program kept forgetting the button names and not executing the click code.

Traced it to testing using a save file.  This was probably a dumb thing to do (and is probably not your problem) but I'd been relying on the engine to let me know that it couldn't use the save file because something had changed (which it always seemed to do other times, even for what seemed like trivial changes).

I hadn't noticed it with other rooms.  This may be a clue (or may help someone else avoid chasing a non-problem for hours and hours!).

Pumaman

Yeah, the save game thing is a difficult one about how strict it should be. On the one hand, I don't want to invalidate all save games every time you change the slightest detail, but on the other hand by not doing so it can lead to strange occurrences like this.

Electroshokker

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 27/04/2008 17:02:53
Sounds like there's something happening in your room 1 that is disabling the mouse. Did this problem start happening when you upgraded to 3.0.1? Were you using 2.72 or 3.0 before?

I was using 3.0, then a 3.0.1 beta, then 3.0.1

I never noticed this problem before, but then again, I've switched starting rooms quite a lot to build up/debug each room.

I've tried renumbering the room but no luck, still the same problem.

I'll see if I can store all room 1's settings and rebuild it from scratch. Dunno what could've caused this.

I can send you a copy of the roomfile if you like, Chris, if you promise not to show it to anyone else.

Pumaman

If you enable the debug console with the ` key, does it log a line when you click to walk but nothing happens?

Are you sure there's not some sort of transparent GUI in the way that might be absorbing the mouse clicks?

Uploading the room might help, but it could well be a combination of the room and the global script and maybe the GUIs or something, so really you'd need to upload the game for me to be able to have a good chance of tracking the problem down.

Electroshokker

I've traced down the problem to my own Scumm VerbCoin GUI module. (*cough*)

Apparently, when I use the 'act' property to force an interaction upon an object, all following mouse clicks are 'bugged'. (non-responsive) untill I click on an object again.

:) well, I guess I better get to figure it out and fix it asap!   ;)

Chris, I do however seem unable to call the debug console with the ' key. I suspect it has something to do with my keyboard being belgian period (AZERTY). I've tried switching it to US keyboard settings, but no luck.

Any chance of making the debug console work on a different key combo? Ctrl+C maybe?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk