AGS 3.0.1 now available!

Started by Pumaman, Wed 16/04/2008 19:45:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

I'm pleased to announce that AGS 3.0.1 is now available for your downloading pleasure.
This version is a minor update, but includes several fixes and changes to improve the stability and usability of AGS 3.

Assuming no serious problems are found in the next few days, I'll make it official on the website.

Changes since AGS 3.0:

* Added zooming and mask transparency to the room areas editor
* Added ability to drag and drop sprites to other sprite folders, like in 2.72
* Added ability to drag and drop views between view folders
* Added ability to delete views and view folders
* Added "Go To Definition" right-click option in script editor, and fixed cut/copy/paste context menu options not always being enabled correctly
* Added Create Voice Acting Script option, to generate a file containing all voice speech lines for each character
* Added draggable baseline to the Walk-behinds Editor to make it more user friendly
* Added "New sprite using last sprite" and "Replace sprite using last sprite" options to sprite manager, to allow you to quickly grab multiple frames off a single source image
* Added "Sort sprites by number" option to sprite manager
* Added "Sort by number" option to room list
* Added File.Exists, File.Delete, String.IsNullOrEmpty, DrawingSurface.GetPixel, DrawingSurface.DrawStringWrapped, Game.InSkippableCutscene, Game.SkippingCutscene, System.NumLock, System.CapsLock, System.ScrollLock commands.
* Added back Match Brace feature in script editor
* Added new room template dialog for creating new rooms.
* Added back Ctrl+G/Ctrl+H as shortcuts to get to the global script and script header
* Added PaletteLockedToRoom property on sprites to allow you to easily remember if the sprite was imported against a specific room (8-bit only)
* ListBox.FillDirList now supports $SAVEGAMEDIR$
* Changed the Ctrl+X debug option in-game to make it more user friendly
* View Preview now scales down large sprites to fit inside the preview window
* Removed limit on number of phenomes per file with PAM voice speech
* Increased max script modules to 50
* Double-clicking a room object now opens the sprite selector
* Editor will now remember the file path that you import fonts from, and display it as a property on the font
* When adding a new frame to a view, the editor is now more intelligent about the default sprite that it chooses for the new frame
* Attempting to display messages with extended characters in SCI font will now render those characters as a ? rather than aborting the game.
* Editor now prevents you from deleting sprite folder if sprites in it are still in use
* Editor plugin API: Added new OpenEditorForScript, ShowHelpFile, GetSpriteImage and DrawSprite methods; added RoomController and SourceControl operations; added Views property to Game object
* Added AGSE_PRERENDER plugin event to allow characters/objects to be modified just before they are rendered
* When you double-click a script error message or use the drop-down function list, the script editor now does a better job of highlighting the relevant line.
* Increased size of function list drop-down in script editor
* Improved pathfinder dealing with narrow winding walkable areas
* Added right-click Flip option and shortcut key 'F' to flip frames in view editor
* Added preferences option to set the default directory where new games are created
* Assign To View window now remembers the last view number used
* Editor now prompts you to save the current game before loading a different one
* Editor now remembers the position of the main two splitters when you quit
* Made some improvements to reduce music stuttering in some complex rooms
* New engine command line parameter -noexceptionhandler to disable the AGS exception handler (for plugin developers)
* Object properties now show "BaselineOverridden" as a separate setting to clarify the baseline behaviour
* Improved the way some editor dialogs look when run with Large Fonts (> 96 DPI)
* Removed left/right loops compile warning, and instead a single frame in the left/right loops is automatically created
* Harmonised speed of fade-in/fade-out between D3D and DX5 drivers
* Fixed FadeIn not showing characters/objects if you changed the game state since FadeOut
* Fixed Quick Import Multiple Sprites not remembering the import directory
* Fixed intermittent crash if a view preview was active when you saved the game
* Fixed speech colour being random if you used SierraWithBackground speech without a custom text window GUI
* Fixed plugin API screen drawing events, and implemented support for them with D3D driver
* Fixed intermittent crash starting engine with debugging enabled
* Fixed built-in save/load/quit dialogs having transparent borders in 8-bit games
* Fixed mouse wiping away dialog options background in 8-bit games
* Fixed some issues importing 8-bit sprites locked to a room background
* Fixed FadeIn not dealing with letterbox borders correctly if SetFadeColour had been used
* Fixed room editing pane being closed when you built the game after editing the room script
* Fixed ChangeRoom moving the character before fading out with some transitions and the D3D driver
* Fixed crash importing characters with Run Next Loop flag set on a view; and fixed invalid character export files being generated for characters with Run Next Loop flag set.
* Fixed engine crash on startup with D3D driver on some graphics cards in 16-bit games
* Fixed GetViewportX/Y not working properly in room Before Fadein event
* Fixed compile error with custom icons that have all 13 Vista icon formats
* Fixed IsKeyPressed not working properly with A-Z keys on non-qwerty keyboards
* Fixed script editor not to do a matching bracket check when you close a bracket inside a comment or string
* Fixed bug in editor when replacing a room background with one of the same size but with the game now running at a different resolution
* Fixed Object.Animate not working with RepeatStyle=2
* Fixed crash loading game into editor if a translation file contained a duplicate line
* Fixed editor crash if you had an misplaced square bracket near the end of a script header
* Fixed room background import to ignore source image DPI
* Fixed GUI import/export if one of the GUI controls had an extended character in its text
* Fixed RunAGSGame using wrong current directory when under debugger
* Fixed multi-loop speech animations crashing if a blinking view was used
* Fixed spurious "Unable to display speech" error if a character had just been animating before displaying speech.
* Fixed "downgrade 32-bit to 16-bit" checkbox in Setup not working
* Fixed voice lip sync falling behind if a very low game speed was used
* Fixed voice lip sync looking in game folder rather than Speech folder for  PAM files; and fixed compile error if PAM files had the [Preferences] section
* Fixed GUIs getting an erroneous alpha channel if the BackgroundImage was set to -1.
* Fixed animated GIFs not importing correctly if they used incremental frames.
* Fixed black areas of 8-bit backgrounds turning blue (you will need to re-import any affected backgrounds)
* Fixed erroneous error message importing an image into an 8-bit game if it was smaller than the screen size.
* Fixed error attempting to directly restore a saved game from explorer if the screen transition was Crossfade or Dissolve
* Fixed function calltips not working if you put a space between the function name and the opening bracket
* Fixed crash which could occur if a character was in the middle of an animation loop when a Say command was run
* Fixed legacy global messages not getting included in Auto Number Speech Lines numbering
* Fixed exported script modules giving error when importing into 2.72
* Fixed crash importing a game from 2.72 if there was a room with an almost valid file name (eg. "room06.crm")

To get it, go to the Download Page.

monkey0506

Hey Chris, would it be possible to get a plain RAR of this? My roommate agreed to let me use her computer now, but she's kind of picky about what gets installed so I have a limited account. Easy enough to by-pass, but it would just be simpler with a RAR. ;)

Dualnames

I could RAR it for you monkey..
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Pumaman

Yes, a RAR version will be made available when the website is updated. Have patience, man!!

TechnoBard

Greets to All and a question...

New to AGS and wondering if upgrades are "full installs" or can just the .exe file be upgraded? Thx.

Pumaman

The AGS distribution is always a full install. This is because some people like to run multiple versions of AGS side by side, so when you install a new version it doesn't touch any existing versions that you have installed.

TechnoBard

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 17/04/2008 22:17:23
The AGS distribution is always a full install. This is because some people like to run multiple versions of AGS side by side, so when you install a new version it doesn't touch any existing versions that you have installed.
Ah, thanks for that info.

monkey0506

Of course one must learn patience to master the power that is AGS. Forgive me master Chris. I shall not fail you again.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Huh? So when I install to my AGS directory it doesn't install over the previous version? Where does it go, then?
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

SSH

If you install it in the same directory, it WILL overwrite, I think. CJ just meant that you CAN install it elsewhere...

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Kneel. Now.

macon

How will the 'check for updates' menu item work?

Will it just tell me that a new version is available and I have to download it manually or will it update for me? If it does update for me I assume it installs over the top of my current version or do I have the option of installing elsewhere? I am one of those who likes to keep their previous versions of AGS.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

It directs you to a "Beta" thread, in your browser. It does not install.

Kneel. Now.

Mr.T

Play_Pretend

I don't know if this is the right place to report this, but I think I found a bug in the new editor.  I was trying out the Voice Actor tool, and when it went to export the text file, it brought back a bunch of errors saying "Unknown Character Name: Narrator", one error for each time I'd used Narrator: in my dialog scripts.  It ran fine in-game, so is this something I'm supposed to change just for the Voice Actor tool, or a bug?  Thanks!

bearseatbeats

Hiya!

If you try to compile the demo game that comes with version 3.0.1, it gives error "GlobalScript.ash(377): Error (line 377): '-' is already defined." I've uninstalled it and a previous version and made sure to save the game before trying to run it, but no dice. Great editor, though!
A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a Danish.

subspark

BUG: When a hotspot is drawn (ID1) and a new background image is imported over an old one, the hotspot changes proportions.

BUG: When dragging edges, the new position is not updated on screen until the mouse has been released and moved by 4 pixels vertically. Moving the mouse horizontally doesnt update the new position whatsoever.

BUG: When I position a label on a gui, the game draws it about 5 pixels below where it was placed in the GUI editor.

I'm using windows Vista Ultimate SP1 and have DirectX 10.1 installed.

Cheers,
Paul.

Ghost

Found this:
* Setting a baseline for a walk-behind, and then changing zoom from max zu x2, results in the baseline disappearing. Setting it to 0 and re-entering the value fixes this.
* Preview option in Views doesn't display Flipped images; the original facing is displayed.

Apart from that, very great!

Matti

Thanks so much, Chris.

I waited so long for the drag and drop-, delete- and zoomfeatures.

That's just what I wanted. Thanks again for that upgrade and for the new editor too.

Pumaman

Heh, thanks for the bug reports guys, looks like the beta wasn't tested as much as I hoped. Never mind.

QuoteIf you try to compile the demo game that comes with version 3.0.1, it gives error "GlobalScript.ash(377): Error (line 377): '-' is already defined." I've uninstalled it and a previous version and made sure to save the game before trying to run it, but no dice. Great editor, though!

This is caused by the following lines in the demo game GlobalScript.ash, lines 337-341:
#define X-Terms                         -24000
#define Y-Terms                         -25000
#define Z-Terms                         -26000

If you delete those lines, the game should run fine. I'll get it fixed for the next release.

QuoteBUG: When a hotspot is drawn (ID1) and a new background image is imported over an old one, the hotspot changes proportions.

I can't replicate this, can you provide more details?

QuoteBUG: When dragging edges, the new position is not updated on screen until the mouse has been released and moved by 4 pixels vertically. Moving the mouse horizontally doesnt update the new position whatsoever.

This is fine for me on XP, but I get the same problem as you on Vista. It also seems to affect 3.0, so it's nothing new in this version ... i'll need to investigate why it's happening.

QuoteBUG: When I position a label on a gui, the game draws it about 5 pixels below where it was placed in the GUI editor.

I can't replicate this, can you provide an example?

Quote* Setting a baseline for a walk-behind, and then changing zoom from max zu x2, results in the baseline disappearing. Setting it to 0 and re-entering the value fixes this.

I can't replicate this ... what value was the Baseline set to in the properties pane when it disappeared? Is it reproducible?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk