AGS 3.0.2 Final 2 - Credit Crunch Edition

Started by Pumaman, Mon 28/04/2008 18:22:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

QuoteI'm not sure why you'd want to discourage something that's been done by programmers for years and years and is in no way harmful.  A boolean is a true or false, on or off, 1 or 0 condition by design.

Just because people have done it for years doesn't make it right :D

Modern languages like Java and C# won't let you set a bool to 1 or 0 as they provide proper strong typing, and it's good practice to follow so that you don't accidentally set a bool to an int that means something completely different. But this is another story altogether...

QuoteSay/SayAt/FadeOut calls still go through as well.  Would it be possible to modify or at least add another type to guis to freeze EVERYTHING except themselves and mouse control?  Everything would include processing Waits,changerooms,animations, anything except gui scripts, mouse movement and control and keypresses.

I understand what you're saying, but could we move this to the wishlist thread please, as it's not a 3.0.2 issue?

QuoteMouse.ChangeModeView(eModeWait, -1);
does not stop cursor from animating (as explained in the help), it crashes game.

Thanks, I'll look into this.

QuoteI'm always the last to get errors(!). No version of 3.0. will run.

Vista SP1, NET 3.5.

Hmm, looks like your AGS registry entries have got corrupted somehow ... I'll improve the ability of the editor to deal with this, but in the meantime you can delete the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adventure Game Studio\AGS Editor
key in regedit to fix it.

QuoteThis seems to be a bug, but I get no error. When I try to "make template from this game" in 3.0.2, it asks me for a name and then says it completed successfully, but it doesn't make a template file. Works fine in 3.0.1.

Thanks, I've investigated and it seems the template generation doesn't work properly if the game has speech or translations. I'll get it fixed.

QuoteGot the following while flipping between editing a room and editing the script for the room.  Was trying to use dropdown list for room to find code I'd just written for an animation.  Editor didn't exit, it just gave this message and let me go on with editing the room.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Quotecorrection: only the objects aren't tinted properly with ambient tinting (they're simply not tinted at all)

characters are tinted just fine. (I'm in 32-bit mode)

If I tint the objects manually (object.tint) it works the way it should.

Is the "UseRoomAreaLighting" property of the object set to true? If not it will ignore region and ambient lighting/tinting.

QuoteGot this when I deleted seven empty GUI buttons one after the other by selecting them through the list, then re-clicking on them and hitting DEL:

You got this with 3.0.1, right? It should already be fixed in 3.0.2.

LimpingFish

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 15/06/2008 20:16:14
[Hmm, looks like your AGS registry entries have got corrupted somehow ... I'll improve the ability of the editor to deal with this, but in the meantime you can delete the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adventure Game Studio\AGS Editor
key in regedit to fix it.

Yep, that fixed it. Thanks. :)

EDIT: It happens when I run and compile/save a game under 2.71 and then try to load 3.02. If I run 2.71 and exit without saving anything, then 3.02 will load fine. If I've compiled/saved a game in 2.71, the registry keys become corrupted, and I'll get that error in 3.02.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

DoorKnobHandle

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 15/06/2008 20:16:14
QuoteGot this when I deleted seven empty GUI buttons one after the other by selecting them through the list, then re-clicking on them and hitting DEL:
You got this with 3.0.1, right? It should already be fixed in 3.0.2.

Yep, sorry, must've missed the fix!

Pumaman

Ok, Final 2 is now up. Although none of the bugs reported were specific to 3.0.2, it seemed reasonable to fix them now, so a Final 2 release is now up.

If no serious issues are found in the next few days, this will become the 3.0.2 Official Release.

QuoteEDIT: It happens when I run and compile/save a game under 2.71 and then try to load 3.02. If I run 2.71 and exit without saving anything, then 3.02 will load fine. If I've compiled/saved a game in 2.71, the registry keys become corrupted, and I'll get that error in 3.02.

Hmm, thanks for the info. I wonder what 2.71 is doing to the registry...

Ghost

Quote from: Pumaman on Wed 18/06/2008 19:59:03
Hmm, thanks for the info. I wonder what 2.71 is doing to the registry...

Gee, if *YOU* don't know...  :o

freshpaint

Math bug  (Using latest Build 3.0.2.42)

Problem with negative numbers.  Example:

#define MY_CONSTANT -5

int a;
int b = 2;
int c = MY_CONSTANT;   //same result with c = -5

The following works:

a = b * c;

However, if I do the following,

a = b * MY_CONSTANT;  // same result with  a = b * -5;

I get a parse error:

Parse error: invalid use of operator '*'

However, if MY_CONSTANT is a positive number, I don't get the error.

(It doesn't matter which operator I use -- a negative constant generates
the same message whether it's *,+,-, or /)

GarageGothic

#define doesn't actually set the value (as "int c = -5" does) but rather tells the script to replace any instance of MY_CONSTANT with "-5". So your code would, on compile, read "a=b*-5". AGS doesn't accept those two operators following eachother, so instead do "a=b*(MY_CONSTANT)" and it should work.

Dualnames

I got a bug, a weird situation. Managed to reproduce it only once due to it's quite one in 2 to the power of 254754 ecc.

So, whilst i was working on my game(game title is not important) the editor crashed due to not enough memory or resourse i guess( i had way to many things open, spyware doctor, tune up).. so I didn;t care about it closing i know i messed up. Then I open the game and it immediately exits. Then I redo it and again. Then I open a different game then close editor and re-open game that i couldn't open before and it opened.

I was using , mind you AGS 3.01.
It's probably a thing of windows xp but I just said it in case you want to trace it.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Pumaman

Quote from: freshpaint on Thu 19/06/2008 17:02:36
Math bug  (Using latest Build 3.0.2.42)
Problem with negative numbers.  Example:
#define MY_CONSTANT -5

As GarageGothic says, this is due to the way macros expand and is not a bug. You can work around it by doing this instead:
#define MY_CONSTANT (-5)

QuoteI got a bug, a weird situation. Managed to reproduce it only once due to it's quite one in 2 to the power of 254754 ecc.

So, whilst i was working on my game(game title is not important) the editor crashed due to not enough memory or resourse i guess( i had way to many things open, spyware doctor, tune up).. so I didn;t care about it closing i know i messed up. Then I open the game and it immediately exits. Then I redo it and again. Then I open a different game then close editor and re-open game that i couldn't open before and it opened.

Can you post any error messages or more information? It's impossible for me to even try and trace it otherwise.

Dualnames

I didn't manage to re-produce it. As I said. Sorry, rather not worry about it. The editor didn't close showing a message but unexpectedly which is a windows thing.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

freshpaint

I seem to be good at coming up with bugs that aren't really bugs!

What confused me was that I got the parse error not just using the macro (which I know from C programming can have all sorts of side effects, etc.) but by using plain -5 as well.  I couldn't find anything in the doc about operator use and precedence (and the discussion of right to left/left to right) that would cause it.

I'll use the method suggested above for my constants.  Thanks.

Pumaman

Yeah, although languages like C will let you do stuff like:

int a = 8 *-5;

The AGS parser isn't quite smart enough to deal with that; it thinks that you're trying to use  *-  as a single operator which it doesn't recognise. Bracketing it allows the parser to figure out what you're trying to do.

In a sense this is a bug in the AGS compiler, but it's not something I'm going to look into with a high priority :)

Ishmael

I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk