Dread Mac Farlane (english translation available !)

Started by Marion, Tue 29/04/2008 07:47:20

Previous topic - Next topic

paolo

Yes, for what it's worth, there are three qualities required of a translator to produce a good translation:

* Having excellent knowledge of the source language (the language being translated from).
* Having the target language (the language being translated into) as their mother tongue, not just so that they get the spelling and grammar right, but also so that they know what turns of phrase are suitable for particular situations.
* A good understanding of the subject matter of the original text.

So the ideal translator here would be someone who has English as their first language, knows French very well and also knows the Peter Pan stories well and has some familiarity with nautical terminology.

This is kind of the wrong place to post this because it's academic now that the translation is under way (and I'm sure the translation will be fine), but I thought I'd mention it.

===============

EDIT: I'm totally stuck in the mine I've asked about this in Hints and Tips and someone mentioned that
Spoiler
if you interact with everything, the game goes to a cutscene,
[close]
but no joy. I'm bringing this up here in case it's a bug - Marion? I wonder if it might be to do with
Spoiler
getting the box twice from the pile of stones.
[close]

EDIT 2: Yes, it looks like this is caused by the bug I have already mentioned:
Spoiler
getting the box twice from the pile of stones.
[close]
I went back to the point where I entered the mine for the first time, did what was necessary, and then when I came out of the mine, the cutscene started.

Marion

Yeah, sorry for this bug, it will be fixed in the next version.

paolo

No problem. I've found a similar one -
Spoiler
when you are in the caves, you can ask the captain for the file repeatedly.
[close]
Hopefully this does not cause a problem anywhere.

Marion

I will look at it.

The english translation is done, I will upload the new version of the game very soon :)
Thanks to The Orator for this !

EDIT : The new version with the english translation and some bugs fixed is available !
http://katurajdr.jexiste.fr/fichiers/jeux/dread.zip

Captain Lexington

Whooopsy daisy!

Playing it through a little ways with the translation, I see that not everything makes perfect sense in the context... It's just that the messages went by so fast in game that I couldn't always read the French so when I got the translation file I didn't always have the context.  :-\

I hope you guys don't find it too distracting, and when I have the time I'll probably go through and fix the problem sentences...

EDIT: In fact, if you guys could wait until I have this figured out that'd be great. Some of the mistakes I made are frankly a little embarrassing. :-[

Marion

Ok, I delete the file for now, I will wait for the corrected translation to upload it again :)

paolo

The Orator:

If you play the game in a window rather than full screen, you can just click on your desktop (or do anything that removes the focus from the game window, such as click on another application) and the game pauses until you click on the game window again.

Marion

Hi,
the game is available again, the english translation file has been fixed !
http://katurajdr.jexiste.fr/fichiers/jeux/dread.zip

SuperDre

oh thanx... gonna play it real soon...

neon

Good news. I know what I will do this evening ;-)

SSH

It would be nice if the Menu screen and the plot summary in the book on starting a new game were also translated (by creating new images and replacing them if the english translation is detected?)

Marion

Yes, sorry, but I don't know how to "detect" the english translation in the game...  ???
Anyway, "Nouvelle partie" = start new game, "charger partie" = load game, "quitter" = quit.

SSH

Code: ags

if (Game.TranslationFilename == "English2") {
  Display("You are using the English translation.");
}

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Did a post of mine just get deleted? ???

I had posted the appropriate snippet from the manual...

EDIT - Wow. Maybe I change tabs and forgot to press "post". That's a first.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Marion

I didn't know this option, thank you  :)

tube

The comic style graphics worked extremely well with the rather edgy story to produce an intriguing contrast. Loved the character close-ups too. In fact the whole experience was very solid package right down to the piratey music, which fit the game like a glove. The puzzle design was far from fancy, but at least the puzzles were mostly logical. In many places they did feel a bit tacked on and I confess I enjoyed the story and the overall experience much more than actually playing the game. Excellent first try though.

That said, I was left with an impression that the low resolution worked a bit against your drawing style here (and I have nothing against low res games generally). Not being an artist myself I might be talking out of my ass, but I'd hazard a guess that your art style and work flow doesn't really benefit from the low pixel count, and you'd probably be able to produce higher res graphics and animation in about the same time, seeing as it's all black outlines with very simple shading. The higher resolution might give an even greater sense of playing a comic book, which to me would seem like something you might have been aiming for.

PS: I'd definitely be interested in the books if they were available in a language I could understand. My loss.

Marion

Thank you tube  :)
I have made the game in 640x480 because I didn't want it to be too heavy. But I will try a 800x600 game next time if it isn't too long.

neon

I finished the game a few minutes ago, and I must say that I'm really impressed.

This is high quality. The graphics are fine, the music fits into the set, the story is deep, the characters are lovely, this game contains anything I like at adventures. The riddles were very easy, but this was very good for the game flow.

I hope you will find the time to make games from the other comic books.

Just two things:

In the english translation, when leaving the mermaid, Dread says 'See you soon, Jamal' and there are some minor typing errors.

When standing in the water beneath the boat on the island with the footsteps, Dreads sprite is flickering a bit.

But altogether, this is a relly fine game.

Marion

Thank you very much :)
I understand the translation problem with the mermaid : in fact, two dialogs contains the same text "see you soon" in french. The first one is when you talk with Jamal. Then when you talk to the mermaid, AGS read the first "see you soon", the one with Jamal instead of the one with the mermaid...  ::)

I have begun the work with the adapation of the second book, but it won't be easy. It's not really an adventure any more, it's more psychologic. I will see if I can do it.

neon

Thanks for the info, it's important since I'm currently writing a review for part 1.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk