File I/O request for next ver.

Started by violgamba, Sat 03/05/2008 19:12:52

Previous topic - Next topic

violgamba

I've noticed that if you access a picture file in AGS (say, to load into a sprite).  The picture file remain's locked (ie. resaving from MS Paint recieves a "Sharing Violation Error") until you close AGS back down again.  Even if you delete the sprite you've loaded from the file.
  Since the data gets loaded and stored in the game, this seems unnecessary and, at least unless I'm missing something, it would be a simple matter to fix (just release the file once you've gathered the data).
  The reason this would be helpful is that I'm often drawing a sprite in MS Paint, loading it into AGS, seeing that it could look better, then altering it in MS Paint.  If I want to update my changes then I have to close AGS first, save the file, then reopen AGS to re-import the picture.

Pumaman

Only the one most recently imported sprite file is locked, and this is to provide the "New sprite using last sprite" and "Replace sprite using last sprite" options.

To avoid this happening, use the "Quick import sprites" option to import the sprite instead of the main import window.

violgamba

Wow!  Thank you for your quick response!

I thought it odd that this would slip by as a bug so I'm not surprised that you have a reason.  I still don't quite understand it but I'll accept that it exists and is reasonable.

Amazing job with AGS, btw.  Like many others (I am sure), I am awed and grateful that you still hold the freeware license.

ThreeOhFour

You can also use the "edit in default image editor" function (right click in the sprite manager) if you wish.

I have done this on occasion, and it can be rather handy.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Double-click will also do it, and it's even more handy. ;D
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk