Infection - Episode 1 - The ship

Started by WHAM, Wed 07/05/2008 18:13:18

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAM

WHAM PROUDLY PRESENTS ITS FIRST-EVER CREATION: THE INFECTION - EPISODE 1 - THE SHIP!

If you've played, remember to give me some feedback or votes in http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=1019

> > > German translation available NOW (At long last! Thanks neon!) < < <

> > > Check this link! This video just made my day! < < <
> > > http://www.youtube.com/user/theundeadmeat#p/c/96ACD080C7BF5A72/0/NH3xgcofr3s < < <

PRIMARY DOWNLOAD LINK (Updated with german translation on 12.1.2010)
Download link here  >>CLICK ME <<
The download now contains the german language translations as well, changing most of the game's text into german. This feature can be accessed by running the game's setup and selecting the german translation from the drop-down menu.

The game tells you the first part of the story of Michael Owen, a spaceship mechanic aboard the small cargo transporter called "Pelican" by its young captain. The crew rest peacefully in hypersleep, until something goes very wrong onboard the ship and the crew is awoken to investigate the events.

The game features:

>> Over 600 lines of voice acting
>> Creepy retro music composed by Tony - Ferrara - Caven
>> 30 rooms to investigate
>> A pequliar storyline, that acts as the beginning of a much greater chain of events in the sequels
>> Beneath A Steel Sky user interface and inventory

Screenshot:

Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Dixon

Woho! Congrats on the completion. Downloading now.

R4L

Nice game so far!

The things I see wrong IMO are the speeds of characters. The main characters walk really slow, but the enemies walk way too fast. It's hard to shoot at them sometimes.

That, and sometimes I have no idea where I'm going or what to do. Is there a map by any chance?

Anyway, I'll continue playing. The music and sound is very nice, and the speech is excellent.

dunnoson

Downloading now...

I anticipate to play this soon, but I have to get ready for my new job.
I work @ Six Flags now.
currently working on:

I am in the Brainstorming stage.  Also am trying to gather a team.
I am committing to this game.

Thinking about creating another game, NCIS themed.

skuttleman

It sure would be nice if RapidShare didn't suck so much. I'll be playing this if/when I'm actually able to download it.

WHAM

Quote from: skuttleman on Wed 07/05/2008 21:23:39
It sure would be nice if RapidShare didn't suck so much. I'll be playing this if/when I'm actually able to download it.

Rapidshare is hopefully just a temporary solution, as I am hoping to get myself some proper website-space and my own domain, so that I can host my games on my own. This will probably have to wait to some time around July/August due to funding problems.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Leon

If I can get rapidshare to work, I'll sure have a look at it. So far no luck.
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

miguel

Hmmm. I'll wait for a mirror then, looks like you all having problems downloading.
Can't wait to play it though. :)
Working on a RON game!!!!!

LimpingFish

www.filefront.com is marginally better for hosting files. Less clicking involved when downloading, anyway.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Dualnames

I think i might give you a mirror..i might..don;t hold your breath.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

LUniqueDan

Congratulation Wham!
I was really waiting for this game since sooo long!

Downloading right now!

* Warming up the flame thrower, capt'n*
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

JuuJuu

aww...I downloaded it and it wont work. =(

Angel Dust

YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you tell I am excited! Downloading now.

Edit: Just played it for an hour and it's quite good. A bit too vague with your objectives but the atmosphere is effective.

Nostradamus

Hmmm looks interesting, will download in a minute.
And people Rapidshare is not my favorite file sharing site but come on it's real easy to download from. Just click the button on bottom right that says FREE. After the little counter you get to download the file. Nothing complicated here.

But WHAM, seriously you really couldn't think of a name?  Michael Owen, seriously?  totally not stolen from the Newcastle striker huh?  :=

AdventureMan

This is a very nice game, but where do I find the inventory button?  ??????.

Leon

Quote from: AdventureMan on Thu 08/05/2008 09:29:47
This is a very nice game, but where do I find the inventory button?  ??????.

It's the bar on top of the screen. By default it'll show your gun (40). Items you find will be added there.

AdventureMan

Thanks a lot, I didn't thought of that. :-[.

bicilotti

Interesting production. Bit cliché so far, but the atmosphere of the game really wrapped me up!

edit: one thing I didn't like was the .zip size, maybe you should consider to release a "lighter" version for he who doesn't own DSL. Music and voicepack are really ell done though

BOYD1981

aha, rapidshare appears to be working for me again so i'm downloading it now.
oh yeh, by the way you don't have to include the .html on the end of a rapidshare link, in most cases i've found that causes my browser to try save the file as html or open it in the browser.

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

miguel

Congratulations WHAM, very nice game, the graphics are simple in a good way and the sound quality is really above-average (very good acting), I love those automatic door opening! :)
Too bad about Michael Owen's injury, oh well, at least he got a job in the marines!
Really, great game so far, good story, the main character leaving his mates behind works very well.
Congrats!
I also like it when Ellie screams :=

Leon

Ok, I've played around a bit and here are my thoughts:

- The story is good. The environment is certainly big enough for more stories, even if they're not directly related. So it could well be transformed into a series (how many are planned at the moment?)
- It's a love/hate thing. The graphics aren't super but that's what also attractive about it. It reminds me of the space quest 2/3 times...
- The voices aren't bad but when sentences get longer, the end of the lines fade away making them unhearable so subtitles can't be missed.
- The controls are terrible! Even after playing three times, I still mix up left and right. Somehow it hasn't the natural feel.
- The door are horrible. When I click on a door, I expect them to open. Now I have to click just before, wait for it to open and click just after the door, which in some cases is very difficult with limited space.
- Why isn't everything usable from the start? A lot of elevators give me the message: not now, I should get moving. Only after a certain event, a certain elevator can be used... frustrating! (Also the panel to the control room. Why is it working all of a sudden?)
- I can't see which object I'm using. Taking it from the inventory doesn't give me any feedback at all. (It took me some time to open the footlocker...).

Some technical issues:
- animation of the elevator doesn't go smoothly.
- I can get behind the cargo bay door. Just step to it without pushing the switch.
- When I leave the control room,I heard an explosion. 'The Dude' is standing there, motionless.  I can't do anything with him, I only get the message: is he dead? Entering the control room again and leaving made him dissappear...
- Double clicking an item has a different effect. Where does the timer come from with the explosives? <figured this one out.... think it's a bug since I didn't even had the communication crate open until long after>
- Filling the gun with bullets again doesn't give any feedback. I look at the supplies and all of a sudden my gun has 40 bullets again...

Storyline:
- I've disabled all controls, yet the elevator in C3 can still be used?
- What happened in the main corridor, in between C3's? I can't step beyond the yellow lines but get no feedback either...
- How did the power get restored? I can't remember doing anything yet I can use the main computer all of a sudden?

Typo's:
Talking to Ellie in Hypersleep Chamber - No, no, it's truly a pleaure --> pleasure
Looking at gun: All members of all shipt --> ships
Leaving C1 after finding Ellie & talking to the captain - There's certainly an intruded on board --> intruder
Taking the elevator outside the controlroom, downstairs it says SINGN --> SIGN.
Looking at the rust: It wont go away --> won't
Using the crate: I don't need a trasmitter --> transmitter
Looking at the sabotaged button: It wont work --> won't
Looking at the gap in the pod: I cant fix it --> can't
Looking at the logs of hypersleep chambers: It's a diagram.. hyperslepp --> hypersleep.
Looking at the manual control throttle: the ship's runningn --> running

I'm lost at the moment. Too little feedback of my actions and too little hints on what to do. I'm sure I have to open the container in C3 but so far I could only use dynamite (which didn't do much good..).
The Dude shows up now and then and can be taken care of, but I'm unsure about his status. Once shot, I don't get any feedback on him.... (Is he dead?)
At the moment I'm not sure if it's the buginess of the game that stops me from progressing or am I really missing something?

As a resume..... there are still some points to work at but it has a good potential for a series. Provided that the storyline stays unique and doesn't get too much influenced by other space-quest like games, it's a well done job! Congratulations and I can't wait to see the progression in #2.

WHAM

Quote from: Leon on Thu 08/05/2008 11:53:50
Ok, I've played around a bit and here are my thoughts:

- The story is good. The environment is certainly big enough for more stories, even if they're not directly related. So it could well be transformed into a series (how many are planned at the moment?)
- It's a love/hate thing. The graphics aren't super but that's what also attractive about it. It reminds me of the space quest 2/3 times...
- The voices aren't bad but when sentences get longer, the end of the lines fade away making them unhearable so subtitles can't be missed.
- The controls are terrible! Even after playing three times, I still mix up left and right. Somehow it hasn't the natural feel.
- The door are horrible. When I click on a door, I expect them to open. Now I have to click just before, wait for it to open and click just after the door, which in some cases is very difficult with limited space.
- Why isn't everything usable from the start? A lot of elevators give me the message: not now, I should get moving. Only after a certain event, a certain elevator can be used... frustrating! (Also the panel to the control room. Why is it working all of a sudden?)
- I can't see which object I'm using. Taking it from the inventory doesn't give me any feedback at all. (It took me some time to open the footlocker...).

Some technical issues:
- animation of the elevator doesn't go smoothly.
- I can get behind the cargo bay door. Just step to it without pushing the switch.
- When I leave the control room,I heard an explosion. 'The Dude' is standing there, motionless.  I can't do anything with him, I only get the message: is he dead? Entering the control room again and leaving made him dissappear...
- Double clicking an item has a different effect. Where does the timer come from with the explosives? <figured this one out.... think it's a bug since I didn't even had the communication crate open until long after>
- Filling the gun with bullets again doesn't give any feedback. I look at the supplies and all of a sudden my gun has 40 bullets again...

Storyline:
- I've disabled all controls, yet the elevator in C3 can still be used?
- What happened in the main corridor, in between C3's? I can't step beyond the yellow lines but get no feedback either...
- How did the power get restored? I can't remember doing anything yet I can use the main computer all of a sudden?

Typo's:
Talking to Ellie in Hypersleep Chamber - No, no, it's truly a pleaure --> pleasure
Looking at gun: All members of all shipt --> ships
Leaving C1 after finding Ellie & talking to the captain - There's certainly an intruded on board --> intruder
Taking the elevator outside the controlroom, downstairs it says SINGN --> SIGN.
Looking at the rust: It wont go away --> won't
Using the crate: I don't need a trasmitter --> transmitter
Looking at the sabotaged button: It wont work --> won't
Looking at the gap in the pod: I cant fix it --> can't
Looking at the logs of hypersleep chambers: It's a diagram.. hyperslepp --> hypersleep.
Looking at the manual control throttle: the ship's runningn --> running

I'm lost at the moment. Too little feedback of my actions and too little hints on what to do. I'm sure I have to open the container in C3 but so far I could only use dynamite (which didn't do much good..).
The Dude shows up now and then and can be taken care of, but I'm unsure about his status. Once shot, I don't get any feedback on him.... (Is he dead?)
At the moment I'm not sure if it's the buginess of the game that stops me from progressing or am I really missing something?

As a resume..... there are still some points to work at but it has a good potential for a series. Provided that the storyline stays unique and doesn't get too much influenced by other space-quest like games, it's a well done job! Congratulations and I can't wait to see the progression in #2.

To adress a few points here:

> The dude appearing in the first elevator room during the explosion is a known bug, which seems to manifest at random. Some players have the problem, some dont.
> Controls were made using the Beneath A Steel Sky -template, and frankly: being able to mix up which button on your mouse is on the left and which one is on the right... That's not really my bad, is it? o.0'
> The doors are horrible... COOL!... But horrible... They will not appear in the sequel in their current from. Clicking on the door does not do anything, as Mike does not USE the doors in any way, as the doors are automatic. You can simply click BEHIND the door and mike will walk straight through the door.
> Typo's are to be expected in such a large one-man project, but still unwanted... Sorry about those.
> Everything is not useable in the beginning, as the player has a clear objective and Mike has no time to be looking around. The limitations are removed fairly early in the game, though.
> Power is never DISABLED, only rebooted. Therefore it is restored only moments after you kill it. This could have used with a bit of clarification, though...

Thank's for going thorugh all this trouble with my game! I might be making a version 1.1 with fixes and updates, but I'm greatly tempted to just move on to Infection 2 soon. I'm also planning a smaller project in between, so... I'll see what I can do! ^___^

**** SPOILERS ****

> The cargo 3 does not need to be accessed at any time in the game. If you are lost, try looking through the ship's main computer. The idea was to have the player's curiosity drive them forward to explore their surroundings, but apparently this was a bad idea.

**** END OF SPOILERS ****

Leon

I started from scratch and there are some serious continuity bugs...:

- I could create a timebomb without having to get the timer and powerpack first.
- I completely missed the sequence with the manual & switches in the control room. Now that I've seen it, I understand the reboot.
- As soon as I hear the explosion the 'dude' just stands there with me asking: Is he dead? I didn't even touch the guy. He keeps appearing once in a while....

Ok so now I understand the bug with the dude. The only time I encounter him is when I leave the power room. He comes running after me and all I can do is turn around and say Oh Shit. My gun doesn't seem to work here, although I have enough time (but I can't really tell whether I selected the gun or not...)

Or should I run from him and leave it? It's just that I now don't know when it's a bug or when it's a real encounter.

I understand how the doors work now. It's just that I always play in windowed mode so I don't want to use the edges too much. But then again, it's something I can get used to if I play long enough.

WHAM

You can expect an attempt to fix to some problems in a new upload some time next week. I've found quite a few new issues thanks to Leon's help here, and will try to straighten them out as soon as possible!

Sorry about such a buggy first release, but please keep in mind that this is my first game... :(

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

First off, a note to Miguel - could you PLEASE be a bit more considerate about the information you don't spoilerize?

Now:

Quote- The controls are terrible! Even after playing three times, I still mix up left and right. Somehow it hasn't the natural feel.

Quote> Controls were made using the Beneath A Steel Sky -template, and frankly: being able to mix up which button on your mouse is on the left and which one is on the right... That's not really my bad, is it? o.0'

Actually, it's a real issue because when playing RIGHT-CLICK uses and LEFT-CLICK looks; and on the inventory, RIGHT-CLICK looks and LEFT-CLICK uses. How is this supposed to be friendly and/or convenient?

Also, I'd like an option to turn text off, but that's just me. :) If I can understand what's being said, I prefer to have no subtitles, that way I can focus on the character's voice, inflexions, etc.

EDIT - Scratch that. I'd only played for a couple of seconds. Now that I've heard the captain and Ellie, I'm deleting "speech.vox". Which is a first, let me tell you, I don't usually do this.

Also, please do consider a v1.1, adressing at least Leon's story and continuity bugs, those are probably the most serious issues - but do remember Clickteam's Patchmaker. ;) Wouldn't want to force us to download that whole thing again, now would you? ::)

Finally - Owen sounds like Robert Chase, from House. o_O

EDIT 2 - And indeed, the doors are rather horrible. What disheartens me is that you say you have no plans to include them on a sequel, but neither do you seem inclined to fix them in this release... which is detrimental to gameplay, which makes players simply not have fun while playing, which makes them quit and not wish to return, which makes them not really want to play Infection 2, 3, and so on. Nevermind, just read that you do plan to iron out some issues. I hope this is one of them.

EDIT 3 - Played some more. The storyline progression is nice, and the game is very atmospheric - given the voice-acting and gameplay issues, that's a lifesaver, it's what keeps me playing, well done on that. DO find out why that character gets in the elevator room and fix it - do you have any idea what a mood-killer it is? It's not game-stopping, but it IS a MOST serious bug.

Spoiler
Also, when you select an inventory item and then click anything, even if it's not a hotspot, it'll run the interaction and then the mouse will default to its normal mode. This is understandable... but it does NOT work in a game where someone can come up behind you at any time, catching you off-guard, making you rush for your weapon and then inadvertently miss the character with your first click. In a game with such an unnerving atmosphere (my heart missed a beat the first time the dude creeped up behind me, that's good!), you've got to be a more forgiving.
[close]

And whoever talked about character speeds is right. Extremely reduced reaction time coupled with the above spoilerized issue - BIG NONO!

EDIT 4 - Good music and particularly great use of sound throughout.

It looks like you've been taking atmospheric inspiration from Yahtzee. :)

FINAL EDIT - Critical bug. Here, check it out.

http://www.lumpcity.co.uk/~skimbleshanks/agssave.001

Spoiler
I had just shot the port engine in panic, and then shot the dude. Now when I got there, I found myself stuck. Can't move anywhere.
[close]

So I'd have to start all over... so I'll wait until you get some issues fixed.

Also, I'm very displeased that your game took the liberty of saving the game to my My Documents folder. I always keep my savegames in the game's directory.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Nostradamus

So... big bugs and other issues... WHAM, will you make a new version and fix bugs?  I will wait for the next version before I start playing if that is the case.

Angel Dust

Just finished it and overall I give it a thumbs up. It did have some problems however:
I second what Rui said about the voice acting. The main guy, the one doing Owen, is actually quite good. He does the whole cocky American guy thing but without degenerating into an annoying characterture. He was genuinally likeable and I would highly recommend getting him back for future installments. But the other two are terrible and I turned it off when I heard them.
I like the shooting element but I think it would be better to have a hotkey for the gun or a toggle for an 'action' mode. That way the action will still be tense but not frustrating.
I would definitely recommend flipping the controls around for the next game too. Also when an inventory item is selected it would be nice to have the pointer change to that item. Would be especially handy for item on item puzzles.
I also encountered a game stopping bug
Spoiler
when assembling the timed explosives I used the data sender, or whatever the part of the transmitter that wasn't the timer was called, with the cell and explosives. They all joined together and I didn't realise until I used it on the blast doors that it was the wrond thing to do. Of course it was silly on my part to combine them in such away but the game should never have let me. Luckily I had an earlier save
[close]

Anyway enough negatives, the good stuff:

The music and sound, bar the two supporting voice actors, were fantastic. Really established the mood and well used.
Spoiler
The sound when the lights when down in the fuel room was so perfect and well timed, I said 'Oh shit' out loud.
[close]

While the graphics weren't spectacular they set the mood well and there were plenty of nice touches like the doors, the little animation when accessing the computer and particularly the
Spoiler
shooting in the dark stuff. I absolutely loved that!
[close]

The story was interesting and most importantly well told. It was revealed at a perfect pace with enough room for the players imagination to do some filling in.

Don't get don't disheartened by any negative criticisms as the negatives are mostly all things that can easily be improved upon. You nailed the atmosphere and storytelling, which are the hardest things to get right.

I am eagerly awaiting future installments!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Re Dust's game-stopping bug, just reading the description I'd like to add that maybe you *could* keep that situation, but nudge the player along so that he realizes that he's heading for a walking dead. No-warning walking deads, which is what Dust described, are also rather big no-nos. Forewarned walking deads, or at least a sense of "having done the wrong thing" that's strong enough for us to save our game as a precaution, is the next best thing.

The very best thing, of course, is having no walking deads, but that's a more debateable issue and on this one I still say the gamemaker knows best.

Just as long as we have fair warning.

Kneel. Now.

JuuJuu

I cannot play .rar files on my computer. What program do I use to open it?

Angel Dust

Quote from: JuuJuu on Thu 08/05/2008 16:41:16
I cannot play .rar files on my computer. What program do I use to open it?
WinRAR.

WHAM

> There will be a v1.1 next week! Just hang in there! <
Version 1.1 will have fixes in:
> The dude's behavior and accidental appearances in places he is NOT supposed to appear.
> The player being able to skip most of the game by misusing inventory items

Also, as clarification, there are supposed to be NO dead ends in the game. The enly way to get yourself stuck is if you save and dont have any ammo. That could well be a death penalty for you.

The sequel will have a more interesting and forgiving combat system, but higher difficulty level altogehter. Basically, any and everything in Infection 1, that gets complained about exessively will be fixed in the sequel.

Leon

Quote from: WHAM on Thu 08/05/2008 17:22:01
... and dont have any ammo.

Spoiler
You can always refill in the basement, right? What I think is more odd is that after the light goes out, Ellie starts to scream and you empty your gun into the room. Looking at your inventory, you still have 40 shells....?
[close]

miguel

Rui: You can find out about   "the spoiler"  after playing for about 10 minutes, that's why I decided to write about it. Also, everything leading to that event is very linear so one quickly gets there.
Also, the voice over isn't that bad compared with some other AGS games, and that is what we should compare, not to some comercial games with real actors.
AGS games are still amateur games, as far as I know, and thank god for that.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

It's still a spoiler, and one that covers a rather important piece of the story, and this argument would have been avoided if you had taken care to hide it instead of trying, in a very Portuguese fashion (takes one to know one), to explain why you-were-right/it-doesn't-matter/I'm-being-overly-picky/whatever.

And I don't care about comparisons, I care about quality. By your logic, should we be glad that there's some extremely crappy games being made? I am, because I know that the maker is probably just getting his feet wet, but the game is still crap, and there's no use in prettying it up, it still stinks.

Not the case with Infection, of course.

Besides, go ahead and compare it to other AGS games. KQ1, 2 and 3 VGA, maybe? Ben Jordan 1 Deluxe? Apprentice?

EDIT - For WHAM's sake, I'll be a bit more constructive re speech. I liked the main character, although sometimes it seemed he was trying too hard to be dramatic. It sounded like he learned it all from watching TV shows, the kind filled with debonair reading of serious lines, alternating with dramatic pauses. His voice was a ted too tenor for that effect, IMO, but nevertheless, it was colourful, very clear, and was the reason I'd asked for an option not to show text. Ellie, however, speaks much too slowly, flat, and always seems to go for over-acting. Over-acting in monotone is not something you want to listen to. And the captain... er, I'd rather not go into too much detail, suffice it to to say he certainly was not par with "Michael Owen".

Kneel. Now.

miguel

I apologize for the spoiler.

...extremely crappy games being made...

That's agressive like most of your comments, sorry Rui.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Agressive? Probably, sometimes I get that way. I'm particularly aggressive after a game lets me down. This one let me down at first, that's why the first half is more aggressive, but the atmosphere really gripped me. I really believe in this game, but it has issues which MUST be fixed.

There's no use in pandering, that'll just lead to more good FLAWED games.

And anyway, it's true. There are extremely crappy games being made. Now kindly read the rest of the sentence, where I state why that makes me happy.

Kneel. Now.

bicilotti

Wham, I found an horrible buf that kept me from continuing the game. Apart from that, enjoyable gaming experience. I liked the voice acting too, even though took me a life to download the whole package :)
What I liked the most was the developement of the story: not too thin, not too much plot dump, good peace overall. Graphics were simple but did their job, music and sounds effect managed to got me wrapped up in the story.
Most of the critics some AGSers wrote are true, but you're still young and will got plenty of time to improve your skills.

Handsake, waiting for the second chapter -Francesco

JuuJuu

maybe put it in the more common exe file?

My computer wont do anything with rar or WINrar program. =(

But from what I heard of it..which is not much, and seen it sounds like the 7 days of Skeptic??

Angel Dust

??? Aren't most games downloads in the .rar or .zip formats initially to save space? I'm sure pretty much all the games I have got from here have been like that. What do you usually use to unzip files?

JuuJuu

Well, it usually is a zip file I can open. when I unzip it, it goes into and .exe file, which is a playable file. (most games on AGS- when unzipped- are .exe

But the file i downloaded of Infection, can't even be unzipped. Its just an "unknown" .rar file.

WHAM

Quote from: JuuJuu on Fri 09/05/2008 06:31:18
Well, it usually is a zip file I can open. when I unzip it, it goes into and .exe file, which is a playable file. (most games on AGS- when unzipped- are .exe

But the file i downloaded of Infection, can't even be unzipped. Its just an "unknown" .rar file.

Download a program called "WinRar". It is a very effective general program, which can open most compressed files, such as zip, rar etc without problem. Having it on your computer pretty much guarantees you wont have this problem again.

Quote from: Rui 'Trovatore' Pires on Thu 08/05/2008 22:40:46
I liked the main character, although sometimes it seemed he was trying too hard to be dramatic. It sounded like he learned it all from watching TV shows, the kind filled with debonair reading of serious lines, alternating with dramatic pauses. His voice was a ted too tenor for that effect, IMO, but nevertheless, it was colourful, very clear, and was the reason I'd asked for an option not to show text. Ellie, however, speaks much too slowly, flat, and always seems to go for over-acting. Over-acting in monotone is not something you want to listen to. And the captain... er, I'd rather not go into too much detail, suffice it to to say he certainly was not par with "Michael Owen".

It's quite funny to hear that people liked the main character, as I did the voice acting on Mike! ^__^ Thanks a lot for that! The reason most of the voice acting is weak-quality, is caused by the fact that the voice acters are all Finnish, and none of us speak english daily. In the sequel I will come to this forum to ask any and all english-speakin people willing to help to do their part and help me with the voice acting, to get a better quality.

Quote from: Leon on Thu 08/05/2008 18:49:48
You can always *****, right? What I think is more odd is that ***** Looking at your inventory, you still have 40 shells....?

Please people, stop these spoilers! The reason you dont seem to lose ammo here, is that I realized it too late myself and decided that I was too lazy to raise the starting amount of ammo to 50. Will be fixed in 1.1...

Leon

Sorry about that, it was unintentional. I adjusted my comment. Never thought of it really as a spoiler. But you're right.

SSH

Quote from: Rui 'Trovatore' Pires on Thu 08/05/2008 23:14:27
Agressive? Probably, sometimes I get that way. I'm particularly aggressive after a game lets me down. This one let me down at first, that's why the first half is more aggressive, but the atmosphere really gripped me. I really believe in this game, but it has issues which MUST be fixed.

There's no use in pandering, that'll just lead to more good FLAWED games.

And anyway, it's true. There are extremely crappy games being made. Now kindly read the rest of the sentence, where I state why that makes me happy.

Rui, perhaps you should change your avatar to this:

Dualnames

I actually don;t recall a Rui post ever put this way:
"Wow, your game blew the hell out of me", or something like"I wanna have your babies". He usually says sth like: 'Well, i liked all of it apart from that pixel on the up left corner of room 6/25745. It should have been more red...

just kidding RUI. Take no offence from my nosense.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I should change my avatar to "avatarity.com free avatars"? Kewl. ;D

Heh, and ayuh, maybe I'm too picky, I just can't help it. Dual, if you want that sort of comment from me, the closest I have recently gotten is in the Dread Mac Farlane thread.

And this is a huge thread hijack, but ah well, it's closure. :)

Kneel. Now.

Dualnames

i know. HAHAHAHA. you're still on top of my list. I'll go and see the comment now..

SSH

Quote from: Rui 'Trovatore' Pires on Fri 09/05/2008 10:49:18
I should change my avatar to "avatarity.com free avatars"? Kewl. ;D

Hmmm, must not let you hyperlink. It WAS Simon Cowell...

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I'll pretend to know who that is, then. ::)

Kneel. Now.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Congratulations on completing your first game!  I found the graphics to be more than acceptable for a first effort, the music was extremely moody (I enjoyed the John Carpenter-ish riff to it) and I think you've shown a level of effort that many first-time designers don't bother to invest. 

Aside from some of the bugs already mentioned, I think you've done a fine job and I look forward to your next game.

23-down

I played it through now... I waited a long time for this and i liked it....

The bugs were annoying and destroyed a lot of the good atmosphere.. But that's ok because i know you'll release a patch next week.

Graphic:

The graphics were ok.. They fit perfectly for the story setting.

Voice:

To the voice actors. I don't know why the people don't like em. I had no problems with the voice actors.. But it's true the captain sounded for me like a russian and the girl like 17 years old or younger. Still voice quality was fine, the voices weren't so bad. The player sounded perfect in it's quality. The voices added much to the game atmosphere. I wish every game designer would do that.

Story: The story was fantastic. I like science fiction games and movies. Your game reminded me a little on 7 days a sceptic. I'm looking forward how part 2 will turn out.

I'm however no fan of episode like games... I hope you will make your next episode a bit longer than part 1.
92 mb for 15 minutes gameplay are to large.

gameplay: I had not much problems with this strange control settings. Still it took me some while to figure out how to use things i hope you will fix that in your patch and build a better inventory + use feature in your next game.

I hope the player will get some reinforcements in the next game. Now where's he heading towards the outer rim worlds.

I give you 3 of 5. Only 3 because the game was to short and because there weren't much riddles to solve: I only had 6 items during the entire game in my inventory , gun, explosives, 2 keys, patches, captains book.

red runner

"Life's too short for all this nonsense.:
  -Joseph Brophy

ThreeOhFour

JuuJuu

Ok finally playing it. (though I only played it for 2 minutes..I will play more after I type this out.)

But the graphics very much remind me of the "...Days a..." graphics. I like simple. (of course detailed too..)

The voices already kind of drove me up the wall though..just talking to the two characters in the beginning of the game. You can tell the girl is reading a script..she annoys me.

Buuut I will let you know how i completely feel when I finish the game! I guess I am just typing all this to take up space..AND

To thank everyone who told me what program to use for .RAR files. Thankies.

WHAM

Quote from: 23-down on Sat 10/05/2008 13:06:30To the voice actors. I don't know why the people don't like em. I had no problems with the voice actors.. But it's true the captain sounded for me like a russian and the girl like 17 years old or younger.

It is funny you should say this, as the voice actor of the Captain said he would go for a bit russian-ish voice!
Also, Ellie's voice actor is in reality 22 years old, but she has a bit of a little-girlish voice, which suited Ellie's role quite well, although her lack of experience made her work quite a bit weaker...

WHAM

Posting again to notify that version 1.1 is available on rapidshare now and Zshare later today.

Thank you all for informing me about bugs and such, I hope you enjoy the fixed version.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteAlso, please do consider a v1.1, adressing at least Leon's story and continuity bugs, those are probably the most serious issues - but do remember Clickteam's Patchmaker. Wink Wouldn't want to force us to download that whole thing again, now would you? Roll Eyes

So... yeah... how about it? A 1.1 patch? So's we don't have to download that huge thing all over again?

Kneel. Now.

WHAM

Quote from: Rui 'Trovatore' Pires on Mon 12/05/2008 19:21:26
QuoteAlso, please do consider a v1.1, adressing at least Leon's story and continuity bugs, those are probably the most serious issues - but do remember Clickteam's Patchmaker. Wink Wouldn't want to force us to download that whole thing again, now would you? Roll Eyes

So... yeah... how about it? A 1.1 patch? So's we don't have to download that huge thing all over again?

I tried the patchmaker and the patch is now available, check the first post. Sorry for the wait!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

YAY!

EDIT - Er... WHAM...

Spoiler
So after the captain and ellie are left for dead, I go to the computer room, right? There I learn I have to deactivate power or something. On the way, I go to the supplies room and get the power cell.

When I get up the elevator the dude is walking around, and I have NO TIME to shoot him. Simply no time. It's impossible.
[close]

I sadly assume this is a bug. BTW, I've noticed you haven't changed the character speeds? Ironically, if you had, the bug I just mentioned might not have been so fatal...

Kneel. Now.

JuuJuu

All right..

I haven't finished it, but I have played through it to an extent.

It is A LOT like 7 days A skeptic.
The first time I played it, I was stuck infront of my sleep chamber. I could not move, and had to restart the game. (it was in the very beginning so I didn't have backtrack too much.)
I noticed that when the character walks into a hallway going right, he will appear on the left of a room. This can be confusing, and isn't consistent. (In movies, directors try to be consistent)

I was kind of lost of what I was doing..

Its a good first game. It just needs work; You'll get it.  I love the sound effects, mostly the doors opening and closing. Dying noise is pretty sweet too. (But I still stand by the fact that Ellies voice is annoying.)
Anyway, I will finish it as soon as I can.

WHAM

Quote from: JuuJuu on Tue 13/05/2008 03:27:07
All right..

I haven't finished it, but I have played through it to an extent.

It is A LOT like 7 days A skeptic.
The first time I played it, I was stuck infront of my sleep chamber. I could not move, and had to restart the game. (it was in the very beginning so I didn't have backtrack too much.)
I noticed that when the character walks into a hallway going right, he will appear on the left of a room. This can be confusing, and isn't consistent. (In movies, directors try to be consistent)

Its a good first game. It just needs work; You'll get it.  I love the sound effects, mostly the doors opening and closing. Dying noise is pretty sweet too. (But I still stand by the fact that Ellies voice is annoying.)
Anyway, I will finish it as soon as I can.

Point A: Please remove the spoiler from your post.

Point B: To me it sounds like you have been playing the old  version. The new version should fix quite a few of the bugs youi encountered. Before the point you mentioned, the game limit's your access to certain parts of the ship to keep you on track and from getting lost. Later on, its mostly about exploration under pressure.

CodeJunkie

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Aaaaaaaaaah. Maybe I did have time for that. Ah well, no matter, I had a previous savegame. ;D

Well, I finished it. What can I say? The game promises quite a bit, and it delivers - story-wise and atmosphere-wise. The story progression and storytelling is among the best in AGS games. The game does suffer with the other two voices (I played it through with voices on now!), but at least we have Mike, who is always, or almost always, spot on, and when he's not spot on he's taking the line in some other direction we hadn't though of but suits the situation just fine. LOVED the 'mommy'. ;D Also LOVED that computer.

Kneel. Now.

JuuJuu

Mordalles

also finally finished it, and wow, great game! loved the way the story is told, and the humour as well. also, i liked the voice acting of the main character. especially the "mommy" line, and the lines where he is reading the memo. great touches.
waiting eagerly for episode 2.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

neon

Nice little game. I felt a bit like beeing in '7 days a sceptic' when it started, but it's lot different.

The only thing I didn't really like was that the enemy is very hard to hit in the beginning. Later when I got familiar with the controls, it was much easier. But I ran into a situation where I saved the game down in the escape pod room and every time I came up with the lift, the enemy was still there and I had no chance to do anything before I was infected.

Let's see how the second part will be. Do you have an idea how long it will take?

WHAM

Quote from: neon on Wed 21/05/2008 12:27:44
Let's see how the second part will be. Do you have an idea how long it will take?

The sequel is in a design state and will probably be taking a looong time to complete. Sorry folks, but we're looking at a 2010 release date at best.

sharksweetheart

Quote from: CodeJunkie on Tue 13/05/2008 11:13:39
Rui:
Spoiler
Run into another room.
[close]
I have encountered the same problem, but the millisecond I gain control of the cursor I'm dead. I don't have time to do anything.

WHAM

Now that Infection has been released for a while, I thought it would be ok to as you people to vote on the game and tell me what you thought about it in this way.

CLICK ME and click "Vote here" on the page that opens, and fill in!

All feedback is greatly appreciated!

Matti

WHAM

Quote from: matti on Wed 28/05/2008 18:47:16
You posted a link to the rapidshare-downloadsite. This is the right one:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=1019

Hahahahaha! That's what I get from overusing copypaste! Thank's for the correction! :)

Also: Thought I'd notify that the "Limited Edition" CD version of the game is available for purchase at 10 €. PM or Email me for more information!
(No, I'm still not looking to make a huge profit with this game (As there are only TEN pieces of the Limited Edition ever made, and about five of them are already sold), but the idea is to see if people like the idea enough to be willing to pay 10€ to support the making of the sequel.)

wyls

Wtf? How long will the next part be?? And why the hell will it take you 1.5 years to complete a "short" game or is it a full length one?

WHAM

Quote from: wyls on Sat 31/05/2008 14:15:25
Wtf? How long will the next part be?? And why the hell will it take you 1.5 years to complete a "short" game or is it a full length one?

The sequel will contain dozens of improvements, several paths for the player to choose from, more story, more characters and way better graphics. It will also no longer be a "short game", but instead I'm aiming for a full lenght game.

Also, to be honest, I doubt the game will see completion before 2012 or something. I'm missing a sprite artist and a lot of time...

red runner

Two things.
First of all, there's no exit button for the game. I have to minimize and close it by right-clicking.
Second, I hope it doesn't take you too long to make the second one.
"Life's too short for all this nonsense.:
  -Joseph Brophy

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

No need to be drastic, Ctrl-Q is better.

Though come to think of it, lack of an exit button and lack of documentation of the shortcut... bit of a "whoopsie".

Kneel. Now.

Dualnames

I like the intro, love that voice speech... yeah lack of exit but whatever. Game looks good enough, enjoyable , funny at points and quite a loveable experience so far.

WHAM

For the knowledge of all who liked Infection's first episode:

"Infection - Episode 2 - The *****" is now officially in the making! I will be releasing a new website for the game's developement within the month. The new, improved, website will have weekly updates, art, more information, and a short audio-only trailer, to act as a hint to where the series is headed.

Also, I just want to remind people, that there are still 3 pieces of the Infection - Episode 1 - The ship LIMITED EDITION CD's available for the price of 10â,¬.  (...plus shipment. Disk will be shipped from Finland) The idea is to promote the developement of Infection 2 and to... make me RICH!!! MUAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

*Places a small plaque with the text "PM me about the Limited edition CD" to my space-pirate hat*

Galen

I don't suppose there's a chance you'll offer a lower-quality version for download with subsequent episodes (lower bitrate, mono channel audio files)?
My connection really makes downloading files >50mb a pain (not that I can't leave it to download, but it makes browsing at the same time rather slow).

Edit numero uno:
Spoiler
Heard the explosion. Went down the elevator to look around. Came back up and was right next to the zombie (which moves way to fast to avoid by the way), pretty difficult not to die.
[close]

Edit: As of mid 2008 I have a <3 connection. This comment isn't really relevant anymore.

WHAM

Quote from: Crazy on Tue 08/07/2008 18:58:45
I don't suppose there's a chance you'll offer a lower-quality version for download with subsequent episodes (lower bitrate, mono channel audio files)?
My connection really makes downloading files >50mb a pain (not that I can't leave it to download, but it makes browsing at the same time rather slow).

Edit numero uno:
Spoiler
Heard the explosion. Went down the elevator to look around. Came back up and was right next to the zombie (which moves way to fast to avoid by the way), pretty difficult not to die.
[close]

Spoiler
This is a known issue, and I attempted to remedy it.  Are you sure you are playing the 1.1 version? The dude is not supposed to appear immediately, but only a while later. Nevertheless, using the elevators while he is chasing you is to be avoided if possible. He is smart enough to stalk you at the other end!
[close]

HINT/SOLUTION
Spoiler
If you shoot the dude and then immediately use the elevator, he wont see you use the elevator and cannot follow you!
[close]

To the issue of large download size, the future episodes will not be any smaller, as I am expecting the secong installment of the series to be of approximately 500MB of size, as it will have over 5 times the voicework, and three to four times the amount of music, plus a lot more art and code.

It will probably be distributed in the form of a torrent at first... But we'll just have to wait and see about that.

WHAM

Bumping this oldie with a little bit of new material, created by neon a long time ago, made available now (because I was too forgetful to add a link back in the day  :-\)

> > > German translation available NOW (At long last! Thanks neon!) < < <

PRIMARY DOWNLOAD LINK (Updated with german translation on 12.1.2010)
Download link here  >>CLICK ME <<
The download now contains the german language translations as well, changing most of the game's text into german. This feature can be accessed by running the game's setup and selecting the german translation from the drop-down menu.

neon

WHAM, some people told me that they have problems with the download link. The download was broken several times. I've added a mirror for them, pre-configured with the winsetup.exe pointing to the german translation.

If this is not okay for you, I'll remove it. If it's okay, I can post the link here.

WHAM

Quote from: neon on Tue 12/01/2010 19:23:23
WHAM, some people told me that they have problems with the download link. The download was broken several times. I've added a mirror for them, pre-configured with the winsetup.exe pointing to the german translation.

If this is not okay for you, I'll remove it. If it's okay, I can post the link here.

Perfectly okay for me. Sadly it seems that the host of my website is having some massive DNS server issues, which cause the site to go down-and-out at regularly irregular intervals. =(

-W

neon

Okay, so here is the

Mirror with german setup

This webspace is limited, so I have to remove it tomorrow. But I will upload it to another place before.

WHAM

Quote from: neon on Tue 12/01/2010 19:55:44
Okay, so here is the

Mirror with german setup

This webspace is limited, so I have to remove it tomorrow. But I will upload it to another place before.

With luck, my website will be up and running by then, too.

LPomelo

Hey man! I cant kill the first "dude" when i use the elevator. He's so quick! It's a bug? >:(

WHAM

Quote from: LPomelo on Sat 16/01/2010 18:02:39
Hey man! I cant kill the first "dude" when i use the elevator. He's so quick! It's a bug? >:(

This was already asked and answered in this very thread (page 4).
Spoiler
If the dude is not knocked out before you use the elevators, he will be smart enought to ambush you when you return. The best way to avoid this is to find and shoot the dude before using any elevators. After you shoot him, he stays down for a short while, and will not be able to follow or ambush you.
[close]

ALPHATT

I've been anticipating this game since you posted your character art for C&C. Great job.
Downloading...
/sig

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk