Infection - Episode 1 - The ship

Started by WHAM, Wed 07/05/2008 18:13:18

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAM

Quote from: JuuJuu on Fri 09/05/2008 06:31:18
Well, it usually is a zip file I can open. when I unzip it, it goes into and .exe file, which is a playable file. (most games on AGS- when unzipped- are .exe

But the file i downloaded of Infection, can't even be unzipped. Its just an "unknown" .rar file.

Download a program called "WinRar". It is a very effective general program, which can open most compressed files, such as zip, rar etc without problem. Having it on your computer pretty much guarantees you wont have this problem again.

Quote from: Rui 'Trovatore' Pires on Thu 08/05/2008 22:40:46
I liked the main character, although sometimes it seemed he was trying too hard to be dramatic. It sounded like he learned it all from watching TV shows, the kind filled with debonair reading of serious lines, alternating with dramatic pauses. His voice was a ted too tenor for that effect, IMO, but nevertheless, it was colourful, very clear, and was the reason I'd asked for an option not to show text. Ellie, however, speaks much too slowly, flat, and always seems to go for over-acting. Over-acting in monotone is not something you want to listen to. And the captain... er, I'd rather not go into too much detail, suffice it to to say he certainly was not par with "Michael Owen".

It's quite funny to hear that people liked the main character, as I did the voice acting on Mike! ^__^ Thanks a lot for that! The reason most of the voice acting is weak-quality, is caused by the fact that the voice acters are all Finnish, and none of us speak english daily. In the sequel I will come to this forum to ask any and all english-speakin people willing to help to do their part and help me with the voice acting, to get a better quality.

Quote from: Leon on Thu 08/05/2008 18:49:48
You can always *****, right? What I think is more odd is that ***** Looking at your inventory, you still have 40 shells....?

Please people, stop these spoilers! The reason you dont seem to lose ammo here, is that I realized it too late myself and decided that I was too lazy to raise the starting amount of ammo to 50. Will be fixed in 1.1...
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Leon

Sorry about that, it was unintentional. I adjusted my comment. Never thought of it really as a spoiler. But you're right.
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

SSH

Quote from: Rui 'Trovatore' Pires on Thu 08/05/2008 23:14:27
Agressive? Probably, sometimes I get that way. I'm particularly aggressive after a game lets me down. This one let me down at first, that's why the first half is more aggressive, but the atmosphere really gripped me. I really believe in this game, but it has issues which MUST be fixed.

There's no use in pandering, that'll just lead to more good FLAWED games.

And anyway, it's true. There are extremely crappy games being made. Now kindly read the rest of the sentence, where I state why that makes me happy.

Rui, perhaps you should change your avatar to this:

Dualnames

I actually don;t recall a Rui post ever put this way:
"Wow, your game blew the hell out of me", or something like"I wanna have your babies". He usually says sth like: 'Well, i liked all of it apart from that pixel on the up left corner of room 6/25745. It should have been more red...

just kidding RUI. Take no offence from my nosense.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I should change my avatar to "avatarity.com free avatars"? Kewl. ;D

Heh, and ayuh, maybe I'm too picky, I just can't help it. Dual, if you want that sort of comment from me, the closest I have recently gotten is in the Dread Mac Farlane thread.

And this is a huge thread hijack, but ah well, it's closure. :)
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Dualnames

i know. HAHAHAHA. you're still on top of my list. I'll go and see the comment now..
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SSH

Quote from: Rui 'Trovatore' Pires on Fri 09/05/2008 10:49:18
I should change my avatar to "avatarity.com free avatars"? Kewl. ;D

Hmmm, must not let you hyperlink. It WAS Simon Cowell...

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I'll pretend to know who that is, then. ::)

Kneel. Now.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Congratulations on completing your first game!  I found the graphics to be more than acceptable for a first effort, the music was extremely moody (I enjoyed the John Carpenter-ish riff to it) and I think you've shown a level of effort that many first-time designers don't bother to invest. 

Aside from some of the bugs already mentioned, I think you've done a fine job and I look forward to your next game.

23-down

I played it through now... I waited a long time for this and i liked it....

The bugs were annoying and destroyed a lot of the good atmosphere.. But that's ok because i know you'll release a patch next week.

Graphic:

The graphics were ok.. They fit perfectly for the story setting.

Voice:

To the voice actors. I don't know why the people don't like em. I had no problems with the voice actors.. But it's true the captain sounded for me like a russian and the girl like 17 years old or younger. Still voice quality was fine, the voices weren't so bad. The player sounded perfect in it's quality. The voices added much to the game atmosphere. I wish every game designer would do that.

Story: The story was fantastic. I like science fiction games and movies. Your game reminded me a little on 7 days a sceptic. I'm looking forward how part 2 will turn out.

I'm however no fan of episode like games... I hope you will make your next episode a bit longer than part 1.
92 mb for 15 minutes gameplay are to large.

gameplay: I had not much problems with this strange control settings. Still it took me some while to figure out how to use things i hope you will fix that in your patch and build a better inventory + use feature in your next game.

I hope the player will get some reinforcements in the next game. Now where's he heading towards the outer rim worlds.

I give you 3 of 5. Only 3 because the game was to short and because there weren't much riddles to solve: I only had 6 items during the entire game in my inventory , gun, explosives, 2 keys, patches, captains book.

red runner

"Life's too short for all this nonsense.:
  -Joseph Brophy

ThreeOhFour

JuuJuu

Ok finally playing it. (though I only played it for 2 minutes..I will play more after I type this out.)

But the graphics very much remind me of the "...Days a..." graphics. I like simple. (of course detailed too..)

The voices already kind of drove me up the wall though..just talking to the two characters in the beginning of the game. You can tell the girl is reading a script..she annoys me.

Buuut I will let you know how i completely feel when I finish the game! I guess I am just typing all this to take up space..AND

To thank everyone who told me what program to use for .RAR files. Thankies.

WHAM

Quote from: 23-down on Sat 10/05/2008 13:06:30To the voice actors. I don't know why the people don't like em. I had no problems with the voice actors.. But it's true the captain sounded for me like a russian and the girl like 17 years old or younger.

It is funny you should say this, as the voice actor of the Captain said he would go for a bit russian-ish voice!
Also, Ellie's voice actor is in reality 22 years old, but she has a bit of a little-girlish voice, which suited Ellie's role quite well, although her lack of experience made her work quite a bit weaker...
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

WHAM

Posting again to notify that version 1.1 is available on rapidshare now and Zshare later today.

Thank you all for informing me about bugs and such, I hope you enjoy the fixed version.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteAlso, please do consider a v1.1, adressing at least Leon's story and continuity bugs, those are probably the most serious issues - but do remember Clickteam's Patchmaker. Wink Wouldn't want to force us to download that whole thing again, now would you? Roll Eyes

So... yeah... how about it? A 1.1 patch? So's we don't have to download that huge thing all over again?

Kneel. Now.

WHAM

Quote from: Rui 'Trovatore' Pires on Mon 12/05/2008 19:21:26
QuoteAlso, please do consider a v1.1, adressing at least Leon's story and continuity bugs, those are probably the most serious issues - but do remember Clickteam's Patchmaker. Wink Wouldn't want to force us to download that whole thing again, now would you? Roll Eyes

So... yeah... how about it? A 1.1 patch? So's we don't have to download that huge thing all over again?

I tried the patchmaker and the patch is now available, check the first post. Sorry for the wait!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

YAY!

EDIT - Er... WHAM...

Spoiler
So after the captain and ellie are left for dead, I go to the computer room, right? There I learn I have to deactivate power or something. On the way, I go to the supplies room and get the power cell.

When I get up the elevator the dude is walking around, and I have NO TIME to shoot him. Simply no time. It's impossible.
[close]

I sadly assume this is a bug. BTW, I've noticed you haven't changed the character speeds? Ironically, if you had, the bug I just mentioned might not have been so fatal...

Kneel. Now.

JuuJuu

All right..

I haven't finished it, but I have played through it to an extent.

It is A LOT like 7 days A skeptic.
The first time I played it, I was stuck infront of my sleep chamber. I could not move, and had to restart the game. (it was in the very beginning so I didn't have backtrack too much.)
I noticed that when the character walks into a hallway going right, he will appear on the left of a room. This can be confusing, and isn't consistent. (In movies, directors try to be consistent)

I was kind of lost of what I was doing..

Its a good first game. It just needs work; You'll get it.  I love the sound effects, mostly the doors opening and closing. Dying noise is pretty sweet too. (But I still stand by the fact that Ellies voice is annoying.)
Anyway, I will finish it as soon as I can.

WHAM

Quote from: JuuJuu on Tue 13/05/2008 03:27:07
All right..

I haven't finished it, but I have played through it to an extent.

It is A LOT like 7 days A skeptic.
The first time I played it, I was stuck infront of my sleep chamber. I could not move, and had to restart the game. (it was in the very beginning so I didn't have backtrack too much.)
I noticed that when the character walks into a hallway going right, he will appear on the left of a room. This can be confusing, and isn't consistent. (In movies, directors try to be consistent)

Its a good first game. It just needs work; You'll get it.  I love the sound effects, mostly the doors opening and closing. Dying noise is pretty sweet too. (But I still stand by the fact that Ellies voice is annoying.)
Anyway, I will finish it as soon as I can.

Point A: Please remove the spoiler from your post.

Point B: To me it sounds like you have been playing the old  version. The new version should fix quite a few of the bugs youi encountered. Before the point you mentioned, the game limit's your access to certain parts of the ship to keep you on track and from getting lost. Later on, its mostly about exploration under pressure.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk