AGS 3.0.2+ distorts colours on imported sprites

Started by Makeout Patrol, Thu 26/06/2008 23:52:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Makeout Patrol

I'm having trouble importing sprites all of a sudden. I've tried versions 3.0.1, 3.0.2, and 3.0.2.43 with the same sprite, and the problem only exists in 3.0.2 and 3.0.43. The problem is that colours are distorted when imported.

Here is a picture of the importing window, in which one sprite is displayed correctly:

Once I click on "import whole image, however, the sprite appears like so in the editor:

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? Is there a workaround?

marcusbugger

Quote from: Makeout Patrol on Thu 26/06/2008 23:52:02
I'm having trouble importing sprites all of a sudden. I've tried versions 3.0.1, 3.0.2, and 3.0.2.43 with the same sprite, and the problem only exists in 3.0.2 and 3.0.43. The problem is that colours are distorted when imported.

Here is a picture of the importing window, in which one sprite is displayed correctly:

Once I click on "import whole image, however, the sprite appears like so in the editor:

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? Is there a workaround?

Try to make a simple sprite in windows paint and save them in all the know bmp. (256, 16, 24-bits and try to import one of them again.) I don 't know if it will work, if you have succes let me know.

Makeout Patrol

Yeah, that works, and I guess I can use it as a workaround for now. I'd still be interested in knowing why I can't use .gifs anymore, though. (I've also discovered that the same problem exists when I try to import room backgrounds.)

Pumaman

Can you upload the source image file that causes this problem?

Makeout Patrol

Here are three source images:

If you want more, I can send them along.

Edit: You know, I think I'd rather use a host that doesn't suck quite as much as that one

Pumaman

What colour depth is your game? I imported that big image into both an 8-bit and 32-bit game and it seemed to show up fine in the sprite manager?

Makeout Patrol

It's 32-bit.

The problem with the big sprite is that one of the colours (the one of the side of the lockers and the lines between the locker doors) turns transparent when I import it, even if I have "no transparency" selected.

Pumaman

Ok, thanks for posting this. I've investigated and found that the "No transparency" setting doens't work properly if the image colour depth is different to the game colour depth. I'll get it fixed, but in the meantime the workaround would be to save the image as a 32-bit BMP/PNG rather than a GIF, which should then import correclty.

However, I'm not sure why this was working for you in 3.0.1, which is slightly odd.

EDIT: this is fixed in the 3.0.2 SP1 release, please try it out and confirm.

Makeout Patrol

That seems to have worked, thanks! I'm still having problems with some of the transparent .gifs, but I'm noticing some strange behavior in other programs, too, so this is probably something on my end (that is, a problem with the .gifs themselves). I'll post again if I can't figure out what's causing this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk