Tune Contest (May 21 - June 8): Flower in the Swamp - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Started by Viking, Thu 22/05/2008 03:29:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

For this month's contest, I thought we'd do something a little different!

Topic

The aim is to compose background music for the screenplay from the current Background Blitz, which is reproduced here:

Rules

• Your entry must be at least two minutes long.
  • Your entry must loop -- in other words, the end must lead back into the beginning.  The piece may come to an end and restart, just so long as it is not jarringly different at the front and back ends.
  • Your entry must attempt to capture the mood of the screenplay above as accurately as possible.
  • You must anonymously upload your entry to box.net or some other public file sharing site.
  • You must send your AGS username and a link to your entry to egalluzzo at gmail dot com, or PM me with a link to your entry, by 11:59pm Eastern Time, June 8.
  • As the entries are submitted, I will update this post with links to each one.
  • Anyone may vote.  Each person should vote for at most one favorite in each category; the votes may be the same or different in each category.
  • Voting will finish at 11:59pm Eastern Time, June 13 June 14, after which I will announce the winners.

Categories

Categories in which to vote:

• Best Theme - Which piece has the best theme, motif, or melody?
  • Best Mood - Which piece best captures the mood of the screenplay?
  • Best Loop - Which piece will be least likely to make the player of the game throw his/her computer out the window after listening to the music loop over and over for twenty minutes?

Prizes

The winners will receive the following exquisite, hand-crafted trophies, made from nothing but the highest-quality pixels.

Best Theme
Best Mood
Best Loop
Best Overall (most total votes)

Entries

Here are the entries that have already been submitted:

Now, go forth and compose!

Nyu001

What are those other marks and things that are wrote there? By the way that looks like a font, which one is? I like it. =P

Viking

Nyu001,

I think the marks represent notes that the author wrote on the screenplay by hand.  I'm afraid I didn't construct that lovely graphic myself; that was done by loominous (reproduced by permission :) ); so I don't know what the font is.  You can probably find a similar one by browsing 1001 Fonts or some similar site.

Viking

I just updated the original post with the first entry that's already come in, as well as the fact that you can PM me instead of emailing me a link to your entry.

Nyu001

Quote from: Viking on Thu 22/05/2008 23:13:07
Nyu001,

I think the marks represent notes that the author wrote on the screenplay by hand.  I'm afraid I didn't construct that lovely graphic myself; that was done by loominous (reproduced by permission :) ); so I don't know what the font is.  You can probably find a similar one by browsing 1001 Fonts or some similar site.

Oh, thank you. :)

It looks like a font since some leters are alike others. 

Edit:

Nice first entry!

Hammerite

i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Viking

Thanks!

I've updated the original post with a new entry.  Keep 'em coming! :)

Viking

Updated original post with a new entry...enjoy!

Viking

Viking

Questionable

Ohh nice entry #5... it sort of remind me of the music from Harvest Moon... lol, ahhh childhood.
All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

DrewCCU

I've been away from the forums for a while but now i'm back - at least for the meantime  :-\ .   I am a little late on this one but i am def. going to work on an entry and get it submitted by the deadline! This is an excellent idea Viking - I think we should do more like this. Kudos to you!
"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."
-John Williams

Bartimaeus

Hmm id like to enter but do you really have to pay for a box.net account?
~The more adventures I go on, the more sand I get in my shoes

TwinMoon

You don't have to use Box.net and you can sign up for free.

Bartimaeus

I wanted to but you need a credit card so they can charge you after 14 days.
Although it's highly possible that I'm missing something :/
~The more adventures I go on, the more sand I get in my shoes

TwinMoon

I think you'll have to select LITE as your account type. I don't have a credit card and I have an account there.

Viking

Bartimaeus,

I've got an account there but I'm pretty sure I didn't enter a credit card number -- I selected the "free account" option, whatever it was called.  At least, if they start charging my credit card, I'll be mighty upset. ;)

In other news, I just added entry #6 above.  Just two days to go! :)

InCreator

I noticed that prizes are 64 pixels in height. Isn't signature banner restriction in height much less?
EDIT: I didn't really find a rule for this, but 64px still seems a waste of space for me.

Matti

Quote from: InCreator on Sun 08/06/2008 14:29:21
I noticed that prizes are 64 pixels in height. Isn't signature banner restriction in height much less?
EDIT: I didn't really find a rule for this, but 64px still seems a waste of space for me.

You're right: It's exactly 50 px.

See: profile -> forum profile information

Viking

InCreator,

Thanks for pointing that out!  I've altered the prizes accordingly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk