Galactic Battlefare: Capital Choice - part1 (Betatesters needed now!)

Started by Alarconte, Sat 31/05/2008 00:39:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Alarconte

Well, this gonna be hard to explain xD (I'm not native english (maybe as a lot of you ready know xD))

Galactic Battlefare was a hard sci-fi universe I was been creating from 8 years so far.(Edited in 2011 xD)
I've done recently a RPG rulebook to this "GBF" inspired in some MegaTraveller rules (if you know it, you may know what way the RPGgame is).

After thinking in do a miniature line (but i'm not to good sculpting, yet), done a battleship miniature combate rulebook (and do a LOT of 3d ship models, half-lost in a half-corrupted hard disk a pair of meters from me, waiting for reparation xD), and make a decent and complet RPG of the GBF world, one year and half ago I started this Adventure Game.

The final game will be separated in four-story parts

EDIT 2009:
This game will be the first part of an argumental story arc, so its complete. The next part will be a game complete different, in first person, but continuing the story arc.

EDIT 2011:
I only need some serial betatesting, and translating the game to english for your enjoy.
NEED BETATESTERS!! See last post!

The Game:

This Galactic Battlefare release, called Chapter One: Capital Choice, is set in the time of the Humankind when all the three mayor factions of Earth (Atlantic Alliance, Rusian Consortium and Arabic Union) was unificated in one force, The Terrestrial Confederation.
Soon in the introducction the players realize about the problems of this union; Inconformity, Little Rebelions and Civil war.

The player get control of Liutenant Leen Nyala, a Loyal Russian Consortium pilot figther found accused of rebellion. The rest is up to you, to see in the game.

The mood of game, well; Serious plot, a lot of oportunities to die, but with a lot of cinism and irony by the hand of the personality of Leen Nyala, a Strong leader but unconformable to recieve orders.

This first part of Capital Chocie is a bit lineal (a couple of hours incluiding the story conversations (with only one or two sidequest) 'cause is full ot cutscenes, showing the background, the motivations, and the way the story will be.
But in the next part of the game there's more low linearity, a lot of sidequests, (searchable by the journal) and will have a lot of characteristics of adventure games. Buy/sell objects, a lot of useless conversations, and a lot of outdoors BGs in a Cliffy/badlands planet with a big oasis and a lot of menaces (and friendly furry people).
(And more playable characters in part 2 and 3)

¿My inspirations? Space Quest, farscape, battlestar galactica, Traveller, babylon 5, firefly, Ringworld, Master of Orion, Space Empires and a lot of tv-cinema-books sci-fi inspiration.

And well, here we go with some screenshots!

Some Introducction shots:

Some in-game early screens:

The most important gui interface

Customized verbcoin actions for ever spot and object, graphics from the SpaceGui Gui

The electronic bracelet Leen has, with the game setup and the journal

And some crapy art of the cutscenes xD

RELEASE

When Betatesting let's me fix a lot of bugs that I don't know!

Some kind of developer blog, in spanish
www.fotolog.com/alarsgbf

A NOTE:

I'm not graphic artist, I'm not musician, I'm not animator. I'm only a idealist Storyteller.
I did everything in the game as good I can. (except music, I used freeware as I can)
And I'm working to do better.

FIND HELP:
In a days I will put a post in "searching for help" topic to the outdoor background artist for the final game,
for the translator,
and maybe one or two things more.  

Well, I said almost of I wanna to say, if anything else, I edit the post or do another reply ;)

Thanks!

"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

Dualnames

Pomising so it seems.. :o Well, gonna check out the demo when you get it.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Alarconte

Ah, I forgot to say that the game have a kind of  classic spanish movie-tv humor, or to say the same, erotic humor and explicit erotic scenes (talks about sex or images showing nudity) In any case, The first version of the game will have censored tiles to make the game "to all publics", like Larry games :P

About the release, as I said, actually I don't know how long is gonna delay, 'cause at least the next three weeks I will go to studiying Metaphysics, language phylosophy, and aesthetics xD

GBF CC Part 2, WIP

miguel

Looks like you have put a lot of work on your project and it would be a shame if you don't finish it!
So, get to work hermano!

I love hexagonal space battles btw :)
Working on a RON game!!!!!

G

Wooohooo! You made it public! Congratulations!

I see you followed my advide and got a new font with extra glyphs. Quite cool!

Alarconte

Yes G, I wasted the last weeks doing a complete redone of the game, was easy but hard, Adding hundreds of new actions (the 4-button gui, the inventory interactions with every hotspot and objects..) and the dammed correction of Ã's and accents, still working xD

GBF CC Part 2, WIP

Dualnames

Wow, alarconte you have me as a fan of the game. I pledge allegiance. The first picture is super cool. Im't not giving any critic but I wanna say that some screenshots look cool and others look lame(compared to cool screenshots). So that means you've made some wonderful looking screenshots and some not so good. The not so good is fine and I'd like to see this game anyway, but seeing what this game can reach via some certain screenshots makes me wonder why not put the same art skill to all pics..? I'm not trying to be harsh or anything..
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Matti

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 02/06/2008 19:54:34I wanna say that some screenshots look cool and others look lame(compared to cool screenshots)

I agree. You should work on the fleet-cutscene-pics and the character-closeupview.

But the game looks interesting. Almost seems like a mix of strategy, jump'n'run and adventure. Well, I'll see.

Alarconte

This is a problem not so easy, and you two explained in some way; when I think about Dualnames say, I think he has talking about bgs. You matti talk 'bout talkies and a cruiser view (with closeup (I suposse talks about the talkie, the "close-up" of intro seems to me ok, monkey-island-intro-color-stylish xD)

Well, what is the problem? All the graphics of the game has the same graphic-style, Nearby all. Brigth colors and same drawing style. There 'bout 20 bgs, 25 talkie views (in demo works 20 or so, the complete game has been  as 50 talkie views). I have a drawed database of docens of ships in this-functional-kind-perspective.

And the BG style must fit a bit with the more than fourty all completly animated characters I have xD

I know some graphics lame... I said "I'm not graphic artist", and I said that I'm working to do better, the problem that at this time, If I start to changing things... I will never finish the demo xD

Some Sketch-work and Character work and talkie work;

(Sorry, images are in jpg 'cause are from the blog)

Is that bad? xD

If I can restore the bad Hard Disk info, maybe I'm gonna use only poligonal graphics to space things (except intro images) ..

In anycase, lately I was thinking of change completely the graphic style to the chapter two, more spacequestVI like-ly. (800x600 with hand draw gorgeus chicks ;))

But don't worry, I'm working to release the game all neat I can. (well, this pair of weeks not, I have a lot of university tests xD but when I finish will do).

About what you di matti, "strategy, jump'n'run and adventure.", don't go wrong; The first chapter of the series gonna will be more adventurish (with some arcade scenes and a lot of death oportunities, and to give death too). It's a kind of introduction to Galactic Battlefare.

The second chapter is planned to have an engine of spacial limited figth, trade and strategy, and I have some friends with good script capacity I hope help me with.

But at moment, Chapter One is on line of sigth and I hope you enjoy ;)

GBF CC Part 2, WIP

Dualnames

I'll shut up. Really. After the last 3D screenshot, I'll shut up.  ;D

I mean wow..

What I want to say is that try not to rush your backgrounds because when you don't you get better backgrounds. That's what I say.

Don't start changing backgrounds. Love the artwork, that's the point it's that the quality seems quite pro at some points and at some not quite.
However, let us stop about it. I really would like to see this game alive.

Alarconte

:D

Yeah, I know some bgs are better than others... they're made between years of learning  drawing bgs from scratch, and lately i've been in the critics lounge as you know to rework some old bgs, and It's working, and for the final release maybe i'll do some minor but positive quality changes.

About the 3d art, Yes, the ship models were cool, but i don't know if I will been able of restore the information from the damm hard disc. (In one laytop pc with Windows Vista, the hard disc is redeable (problems but redeable). In my pc, with XP, is not redeable. It's a problem.

If you wanna to see more of my 3d ship models, visit www.fotolog.com/alarsgbf!

I have too some .Words with a lot of ship design, exteriors and interior, of commercial-transportation-freelance-rogue range ;)

GBF CC Part 2, WIP

Alarconte

Well, Demo is near to the Launch (maybe a weeks, but I'm going to start studying U_U)
But Meanwhile, I uploaded the first Devvlog 'bout the game. Devvlog 'cause is a video developer log xD

This first entry, this is a simple shown of the introduction and some gameplay (little, little, intro is the most of time of the video). There is no sound (I got technical difficulties to record it), and the game text is in spanish, but for the non-spanish speakers, can see the graphics and interface and that all.

Galactic Battlefare Developer Video Blog:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvrJMTBsXec

don't get scary, I maked the devvlog like a vlog, don't scary 'bout my face :P

and yes, I know, Intro is too large. But you can skipit in parts if you feel the need, in the game. (as all cutscenes)

GBF CC Part 2, WIP

JpSoft

Alarconte, i hope the game is still in work

Jp

Darth Mandarb

Jpsoft - Then why don't you, as the rules tell, send the author a PM asking about the game rather than digging up a thread that hasn't been posted in for nearly a year?  Please do not do that again!  Thank you.

Alarconte - if you need this re-opened some time send me a PM and I'll unlock it for you if/when you're ready to post an update.

Alarconte

I refresh the thread cause the "Need translation" post in the rigth place hasn't work yet.

The demo (or, maybe, the first part of three, of this Mid-long length game) is going to be released in weeks, when my scripter finish the last touches in the Spaceships arcade minigame.

Then... I Need a translator spanish to english! I'm not enougth good in english to make it myself.

PM if anyone want to help!
After the translator, will come some betatesting!

Thanks ;)

GBF CC Part 2, WIP

Alarconte

Hi again people!

I'm starting to work in the scripting of the second part of this game... That means that I need to realease the first game!

Well, my programmer let me down in the work of the second arcade for the game... but isn't was very important.

I need betatesters now, but sorry, the language is Spanish right now; This is cause I'm in work of make better the conversations (a loose and not much worked thing right now, I was busy with graphics and scripts..)

I will post this "demmand" too in the Need Help thread, but I first put in here so everybody can see that the game is alive and ready to launch!

Anyone interested, please PM me and I will send him the link and a copy-pasted instructions xD

thank you!

GBF CC Part 2, WIP

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk