MAGS 2008-06: Evil

Started by Klaus, Sun 01/06/2008 22:01:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

Please do not just enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created in just some hours or a few days)!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month's guidelines are set by last month's winner King_wiking (slightly adjusted):

Topic: Evil

June, it's the beginning of summer and the warm and good-natured time of the year is finally here. Apart from this the theme for this month is "Evil". The rules are pretty simple:

1. Your main-character must be evil in some way. That means that there can't be any I-am-good-just-for-the-sake-of-it blonde hero that runs around swinging a rapier with all too tight trousers.
Good examples for main characters are (but of course not limited to): An evil mastermind trying to take over the world, a devil trying to make people do evil things, an orc following his masters plan, a psychopath or something similar. As long as the character's main goal is selfish and/or evil in the game it's fine.

2. At one point in the game "death" must come into place. This could be done by a location (eg. a graveyard), by a character (eg. the Grim Reaper) or by an action - be creative.

That's all, no further limitations. You can put into your inventory whatever you want to :)
Good luck.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All games need to be in by June 25th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Radiant

Amazing.

Me and some friends are presently working on a game that will hopefully be released this month, and fits the theme perfectly.

Except that we already started it earlier, so it doesn't qualify for MAGS. Nevertheless, is this synchronicity or what?

Brad Newsom

By death, do you mean the player might face death, or does the player create the act of death.

Sylvr

I hope to be able to include an entry this month. Although.. maybe I shouldn't mention it.  ;D
| Ben304: "Peeing is a beautiful thing, Sylvr" |

Alarconte

Curiosly I've been thinking that this comunity has very few games of Evil characters. This MAGS gonna be cool; I'm thinking to participate (but I'm in exams weeks and don't know if I can loss more time u_u).

Death musto come into place, what means? A simple character-npc death by action, is correct?
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

Klaus

Quote from: Kadji-san (BradN) on Sun 01/06/2008 22:41:59
By death, do you mean the player might face death, or does the player create the act of death.
That's up to you - both (and many other) ways are possible...

Quote from: Alarconte on Mon 02/06/2008 00:10:51
Death musto come into place, what means? A simple character-npc death by action, is correct?
It is one option - and there are many others...

Just be creative :)

Akatosh

/EDIT: Nope. Not this month, sorry. Again.

TwinMoon

Hm, the previous times I entered having a deadline really kept me going... while I've postponed drawing the bad guy for my 'normal' game for weeks.

Why don't I try to get back into the flow by announcing I'll enter this. If I don't make it at least I'll have a character I wanted to draw anyway.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Akatosh! Will we be playing the evil character of your "Me Go" series?! ;D
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

LimpingFish

I am...tempted.

Hmm.

/wanders off, muttering...
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Akatosh

Quote from: Rui 'Trovatore' Pires on Mon 02/06/2008 22:21:27

That's also an idea, but... nah. I need to make something that doesn't have "Me Go" in the name so I can stand looking in the mirror again.  :P

vertigoaddict

Quote from: Akatosh on Tue 03/06/2008 14:21:21
Quote from: Rui 'Trovatore' Pires on Mon 02/06/2008 22:21:27

That's also an idea, but... nah. I need to make something that doesn't have "Me Go" in the name so I can stand looking in the mirror again.  :P

"You go Evil"!

ShadeJackrabbit

Hmm... I think I'll actually enter this one.

Alarconte

Well, I retire from the idea of entering this month, 'cause I have all the final examns and works and I never get to university this half-year, and I don't need more distracting hobbies xD

I'm sorry for me 'cause i was got two or three great ideas for this MAGs
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

ShadeJackrabbit

Oh, just a question... when it says we can't use pre-made materials, that doesn't include code for GUIs, right? I mean, it would be pretty pointless to re-invent the wheel (pun!) and code a verb coin from scratch when the template already exists. So I assume as long as original graphics are used it is alright to use the GUI template?

Klaus

Quote from: ShadeJackrabbit on Sat 07/06/2008 20:49:20
So I assume as long as original graphics are used it is alright to use the GUI template?
Yes, that's okay.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

For the sake of commitment, I am working on something that may or may not be done in time.

Beware.

Brad Newsom

ProgZ: Yeah, Im trying not to get too epic or have a big vision. >_<

Radiant

This is fitting for this month's rules. It's not a MAGS entry since we started it half a year ago, but the irony was so evil that I wanted to point it out :P

Ryan Timothy B

7 days left? hmmm
I've been pushing hard on a game, not sure if it'll get finished on time.  We'll just have to see.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk