Sprite Run! Characters and Vehicles 12th to 19th of June. ***WINNER ANNOUNCED***

Started by Nacho, Thu 12/06/2008 14:38:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Nacho

Inspired by my own victory in the last SJ, I introduce you this week' s topic!

SPRITE RUN

-You must paint a character and its vehicle. 2 sprites.

-I want them tiny! Maximum size for the character is 50(tall)X20(wide). Maximum size for the vehicle has to be 140 X 75. No matter if 140 is tall or wide, so you have room to design weird vehicles.

-You must use 16 colours per sprite. That makes 32 as a maximum. No probs if you use a simillar pallete for vehicle and character and you repeat, having less than 32. Background colour won't be had into consideration, so, don' t worry.

-You can post both (vehicle and character) in the same image, being the resultant image bigger than the sizes specificated, but I will download the images to see if the sprites, per sepparated, fit in the restrictions. You can also paint the character "using" the vehicle, but remember that you must not exceed the 140X75 restriction, and post the pallete of both for me to realise you haven't used more than 16 colours per sprite.

-If the character is not inside the vehicle, or riding it, then it has to be in a 3/4 pose (Like my gang thug). The vehicle has to be allways in platform view (lateral, like my motorbike)

-Remember to post both palletes you used. 16 for the vehicle, 16 for the character. You can repeat colours, but post both palletes complete, anyway.

Good luck!
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Matti

50x20?

So no fat guys allowed ?

Is 16 colors the maximum or are the sprites supposed to have exactly 16 colors?

Alarconte

The size limitations and the lateral view lets not much to imagination.... I was thinking to draw my leen and his Ligth space Freigther, but in this sizes is imposible... I will think in what to draw if I have time... ^^
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

Matti

It's some upper-class guy from around 1900 who is very proud to possess the enormoust high wheel ever built. To ride it he needs to use his walking stick as a stilt so he alway keeps a second stick in his suit.

x3

the guy: 20x50, 13 colors
the wheel: 94x75, 8 colors

If it should be necessary to use 16 colors for each sprite and if it's important to use the whole given space then I'll redraw it, just let me know.

Nacho

Sorry Matti, I am looking for LEC look alike sprites.

16 colours is a maximum. You can use less...

And come on, Alarconte, I am sure you can still design a spacial pod or something within the limits.  :)

Matti

Quote from: Nacho on Thu 12/06/2008 17:10:25
Sorry Matti, I am looking for LEC look alike sprites.

Hey, you just wrote "vehicles".., isn't a high wheel a vehicle?  ??? Cars and motobikes are so boring...

But well, I'll see if I make another one.

Nacho

A vehicle is something to transport something... Your imagination is the limit.

Ilmion

Gilbert

Lucasarts Entertainment Company

Seems to be fun, I may consider entering if I can push my lazy ass to work on something.

Brad Newsom

Well if he wants to see LEC type sprites, then he should of said so in the first post. Its not fair to say such things if you didn't state the correct requirements.

Nacho

Quote from: Kadji-san (BradN) on Fri 13/06/2008 04:13:21
Well if he wants to see LEC type sprites, then he should of said so in the first post. Its not fair to say such things if you didn't state the correct requirements.

Eeeer... Ok. I was meaning that I wanted sprites looking like the LEC ones as FOR THE SIZE.

And restrictions have been specified in the first post.

So, unless BradN wants to take this to the UN or the Supreme Court, I think we can go on with the contest...

. . .  :P

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

A bit of a quickie done in c64 double-wide style and colors (13 of 16 used).

I've included a version of it with and without a background color (it's not a c64 color) in case people have trouble seeing it.

Both characters and vehicle are well within the two sets of dimensions (not including the shadows).

Fans of MST3K will no doubt like this one:

Dr. Clayton Forrester and Dr. Lawrence Erhardt have finally invented a machine that can create its own horrible films!  Now with the Stinkburger 5000, just insert any videotape into the slot, strap in your worst enemy and then treat them to a surreal ride of pain! 

Joel and the bots could be in real trouble.

Brad Newsom

Quote from: Nacho on Fri 13/06/2008 07:11:40
Quote from: Kadji-san (BradN) on Fri 13/06/2008 04:13:21

Eeeer... Ok. I was meaning that I wanted sprites looking like the LEC ones as FOR THE SIZE.

And restrictions have been specified in the first post.

So, unless BradN wants to take this to the UN or the Supreme Court, I think we can go on with the contest...

. . .  :P

Ok, fine. Lets go to court......I kid though. :D Sorry.

Matti

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Fri 13/06/2008 03:44:36
Lucasarts Entertainment Company

Hahaha... I didn't know what LEC means too. So i googled and found something like that:
LEC

That's why I talked about cars and stuff. But what's a lucasarts-style sprite? What's wrong with mine?

monkey0506

Quote from: Nacho on Fri 13/06/2008 07:11:40like the LEC ones as FOR THE SIZE.

matti's sprite meets the size specifications.

Clearly the distinction between matti's sprite and the LEC sprites is the file format. He just wants you to save it as guy.brush

;)

Nacho

Quote from: matti on Fri 13/06/2008 10:32:50
But what's a lucasarts-style sprite? What's wrong with mine?

Nothing... I just meant that I wanted the sprites as big as LucasArts used to do them in a certain period. The "look alikeness" is something that doesn' t matter to me at all. For example ProgZmax would never enter into "looks alike a LEC sprite" and it' still supperb.

EDIT: Guys, to give an example, I am going to explain how I think:

ProgZmax didn' t followed the specs 100%. He added shadows that would probably make the sprites bigger than what I want, he didn' t posted the palletes. I am not going to say "OMFG!!! You cheated! YOU ARES OUT OF MY CONTEST!!!" No... I am not going to download the sprites to count one by one the colours, and I am not going to cut the sprites to paste them in a new image to see if they are a pixel or two bigger that what I asked for.

What I want you to do is to think as artist did in the early 90ies. To learn to transmit volumes, shadows, shapes with a limited space and limited palletes. If you have success in doing that, and both entries so far did, I am not going to invalidate your entries, even if you fail with the restrictions a bit, ok?

And sorry about not clarifying the "LEC" thing. To make it clear. LEC is "LucasArts Entertainment Company". And no... I am not going to to have in mind if the sprites resemble to the LEC ones, and, therefore, I am not going to reward that. I just wanted you to work with the "sizes" they were used to use. Also, I think that Sierra' s sprites of that period (I.E. Graham' s sprite) can't  be much different to that sizes, actually.

EDIT 2: Graham was 17X47, so, my specs are even a tad bigger than the ones Sierra used. DON'T COMPLAIN, Suckers!!!

Matti

Quote from: Nacho on Fri 13/06/2008 11:48:02
Quote from: matti on Fri 13/06/2008 10:32:50
But what's a lucasarts-style sprite? What's wrong with mine?

Nothing...

[...]

If you have success in doing that, and both entries so far did, I am not going to invalidate your entries, even if you fail with the restrictions a bit, ok?

Okay, then there's nothing to worry about. I just though my entry didn't count for some reason I couldn't comprehend.

Brad Newsom

So Dexter....I mean Nacho. Basically what you are saying is that you want the entries to have the same Anatomical sizes similar to LucasArts characters. Like for instance. The broad shoulders, he spatial distinction of each area of the body. Am I wrong?

Nacho

I want height and wide similar to the early 90ies Adventure Games, LucasArts, for instance, but Sierra also.

I don' t care if you go fot a cartoony look and make them with short legs, huge torso, big head with the same size as torso... That is up to you. You have a rectangle of 20X50 to fill it with whatever you want. :)

If you want to make a weird character, such as the PATAPON, no probs...

EdLoen

I wanted to do this because i've never worked that small before (I like details and I cant do em this small...at least not as good looking as others)

I've resurrected a character I used in a different sprite contest

Squirrel-Dude!

x2
50x20;11 colors + transparency

and his vehicle: The Squirrel-kart!

x2
41x83; 10colors + transparency

and together:

x2
50X103 (added); 16 colors all together+transparency

Here's one with a bg just to bring out the lighter colors

be kind ...