Awesome Quest 1 - My first AGS

Started by SurplusGamer, Fri 13/06/2008 20:48:13

Previous topic - Next topic

SurplusGamer

Hello.

This is a very tiny little game I created in AGS in around 5 leisurely evenings. It has the feel of a demo of a longer game, because I really only created it to get my feet wet in the ways of AGS. However, I don't have any plans to make it any longer, so it is complete and I thought I'd put it up for everyone to enjoy and make fun of.

I created everything myself, except for most of the graphics were drawn by my excellent artist friend, McT. Apart from that, all of the game, a few of the animations, both pieces of music, etc were by me, so I hope you like them.

Here are a couple of screenshots:

And here is a link to the download:

http://www.4shared.com/file/51228269/61d3966d/Awesome_Quest_1.html?dirPwdVerified=581bf23

Some things you might like to try on a second play through:

Look at the stump.
Try exiting the left side of the first screen several times.
Solve the puzzle before speaking to the guy.

...And lots more. I  tried to be fairly detailed within this tiny 1-puzzle space, because I wanted to pack as much learning as possible into 2 rooms, so please let me know what you thought!

Joseph DiPerla

Looks neat and has a unique art style! Gonna check it out.
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

m0ds

Looks like crazy shit that Joey Diperla will like...so in due course I will give it a try! It looks to have a fresh style, well done :)

skuttleman

I really dig it. Better than most users' first games. Well Done!

The only thing that I would change is when you select an item from the inventory window and then close the window, the cursor should be the inventory item, instead of defaulting back to "go".

Also,
Spoiler

I was very disappointed that I didn't get to see Bob tear the bird open. Or at least hear a grusome sound effect.
[close]

SurplusGamer

Quote from: skuttleman on Fri 13/06/2008 21:17:10
I really dig it. Better than most users' first games. Well Done!

The only thing that I would change is when you select an item from the inventory window and then close the window, the cursor should be the inventory item, instead of defaulting back to "go".

Also,
Spoiler

I was very disappointed that I didn't get to see Bob tear the bird open. Or at least hear a grusome sound effect.
[close]

Thanks for the feedback. I just had a little look at the first thing you said, since I thought I had fixed it, and here's the deal: when you click out of the inventory window just by clicking anywhere on the main screen it does stay on the inventory item, but when you use the inventory button toggle to exit the window, it does revert to go as you say. I didn't realise it was a problem until now, because ever since I implemented the 'clicking anywhere closes inventory window' feature I never turned the inventory window off using the button again! I don't think I'll fix it for this game, but that's something to keep in mind for the future, thanks!

As for the other bit, well... I thought I'd just leave it to the ol' imagination ;)

Leon

Awesome game this awesome quest. Great style. Could play it for much longer.I like the way the dialogs are build up.
The puzzle is fairly straight forward and easy.

Spoiler
You might want the player to get the key out of the bird. I was already thinking ahead when the hint came that I had to bring it to the guy.
[close]
Nice relaxed music added. I like the simplicity of the cursors. No guessing what tiny image represents what... just read and use. Good first try! Some notes:

Since this is a very short game the save, load and quit options aren't needed but you might want to add these to some kind of menu.
Having said that, pressing F5 or F7 leaves the text on what to do (ie. "type a name to save as" with F5) very unreadable.
A thing I find strange:

Spoiler
With using the plank on the bag you say "I might fall into the bushes" and a bucket attched to it is allright?
[close]
It's just a thought...

by the way, you should add your game to the DB so you reach a wider public and.... people can vote!... and since this is a one and a half room game maybe consider entering the MAGS or the OROW contest?
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

SurplusGamer

Some of the comments have just reminded me of something that it might interest some people to know: I didn't have any particular puzzle/setting in mind when I created the game. I said to my artist: 'Could you just create for me a sprite that walks around, and a couple of backgrounds and some random objects?' and I improvised the whole game out of everything she sent me. The only graphics I added myself were an animation needed to solve the puzzle, and one of the inventory icons, also to do with a puzzle. I'm quite pleased with what I came up with, considering I had no idea what graphics I was going to get :)

Anyway...

Quote from: Leon on Sat 14/06/2008 00:22:36
Awesome game this awesome quest. Great style. Could play it for much longer.I like the way the dialogs are build up.
The puzzle is fairly straight forward and easy.

Spoiler
You might want the player to get the key out of the bird. I was already thinking ahead when the hint came that I had to bring it to the guy.
[close]
Nice relaxed music added. I like the simplicity of the cursors. No guessing what tiny image represents what... just read and use. Good first try! Some notes:

Since this is a very short game the save, load and quit options aren't needed but you might want to add these to some kind of menu.
Having said that, pressing F5 or F7 leaves the text on what to do (ie. "type a name to save as" with F5) very unreadable.
A thing I find strange:

Spoiler
With using the plank on the bag you say "I might fall into the bushes" and a bucket attched to it is allright?
[close]
It's just a thought...

by the way, you should add your game to the DB so you reach a wider public and.... people can vote!... and since this is a one and a half room game maybe consider entering the MAGS or the OROW contest?

Interesting notes, thanks. I'll talk about a few of them:

1) Save function was one of the things that I didn't even look at when making this. When I make a longer game, I'll learn how it works, but this game was purely to learn how to put stuff into rooms and make a puzzle out of it.

2) The puzzle is easy, yes, but I wasn't going for tricky, so that's about as expected. I wanted the puzzle to contain a few different features which would force me to learn how to do them
Spoiler
(like animating the bird and combining inventory items and so forth)
[close]
but it was purely a learning exercise, more than a puzzle-design exercise. Also
Spoiler
I didn't have the player get the key out of the bird because I thought it was more amusing just to give it to the guy to deal with
[close]

3) The other thing you found odd
Spoiler
Well, I know what you mean, but I suppose the idea was that he'd knock it into the bucket instead of it letting it land on the ground. Not the most foolproof method, I admit, but better than nothing - and easy enough for the player to figure out.
[close]

Anyway, thanks for the comments, I'm glad you liked it :)

miguel

Hi InsoFox,
nice art and choice of design.
The music is good as well.
Tim Burton influence?
Well I'd like to play a full game based on this one.
Nice work!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

SurplusGamer

Quote from: miguel on Sat 14/06/2008 14:19:54
Hi InsoFox,
nice art and choice of design.
The music is good as well.
Tim Burton influence?
Well I'd like to play a full game based on this one.
Nice work!

Thanks! However, I've got no plans to carry this one on. I'm already working on a new project, but unfortunately I might need to get a new artist for it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk