Quest for Yrolg (available on Steam)

Started by Radiant, Mon 16/06/2008 09:52:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

[embed=640,390]http://youtu.be/r-E_62Dsqns[/embed]

Quest for Yrolg

A medium-length adventure game with a twist! Deep within his dungeon, Yrolg the necromancer is about to summon a mighty demon to complete his plans to conquer the World. Three brave adventurers, a warrior, a rogue and a sorcerer, have come to his underground lair to disrupt the ritual and end his reign of terror. Your job is to stop them.

As a lesser minion of darkness, use your wit and guile to lead the heroes into traps and to a nasty demise. Should they succeed, your Master will be slain, and the world shall be covered with flowers and puppy dogs. That must never happen - evil shall prevail!

Download here. This includes a Voice Pack, and translations into German, Spanish, French, Italian, Hungarian, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, and Turkish.

Thanks to:
* Fizzii, for the graphics!
* Meerbat, for more graphics!
* Justin Parker, for the music!
* Voice acting by Kristyn Mass, Jesse Lowther, Edwyn Tiong, George Exley, and Michael Malconian.

Alarconte

Sounds really interesting a-tale-of--two-kingdoms kind game handling evil!

Downloading right now the Non-MAGS evil game ;)

PD: When I said "atotk kind game" I said in quality!!

PDD: And after played a while, Well, What a game!! The simplistic interactivity and the no-graphic dialog isn't too good at all, but seems a great game!

I hope to can play it soon, i have a lot of work u_u

Spoiler

Edit: Playing again... I don't find how to banish the first adventurer! It's seems a very quite changelling game!
[close]
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

Buckethead

So cool how Crystal shard keeps releasing one quality game after another. Although they are usually so brilliant that I need a walkthrough all the way.

kaputtnik

Quest for Yrolg, hahaha. I am downloading and playing this NOW, and I won't find rest until I have solved every tseuq there is.

edit: Oh no, Yrolg has been defeated while I was toying around! I like the imp very much, his comments exactly reflect what I would expect to be an imp's point of view on things. One first thing I disliked: The music. It is so heroic and over-present and thus distracting and it even loops awkwardly and you can't even turn it off, so I had to turn off my speakers which always makes me sad.

I'll give the rescue of Yrolg another shot, though.
I, object.

dunnoson

Downloading now and will play in a little bit.
currently working on:

I am in the Brainstorming stage.  Also am trying to gather a team.
I am committing to this game.

Thinking about creating another game, NCIS themed.

blueskirt

Congratulations at creating:

An adventure game that managed to make me stop playing Thief Gold for several hours in a row,
An adventure game whose gameplay is different from the usual traditionnal point and click adventure game,
An adventure game I wish there will have a sequel for it.

Bugs, visual glitches and feedback:
Spoiler
If you keep summoning Muggit (who was hilarious, BTW) back and forth, he'll move a pixel closer to the edge of the screen, do this several times and he'll eventually completly disappear behind the edge of the screen.

The animation sequence when you shoot the fighter with the spears trap is rather shoddy and unsynchronized: the spears are shot, then the fighter goes in the middle of the screen and die.

The save/load menu has no scroll bars, and since the game rely heavily on loading and saving, constantly losing previous savegames and being able to work with only 6 savegames (3 of which are hogged by the autosaves) really sucks.
[close]
A clock to tell the time remaining until the next hero arrives would be a nice addition. That or simply letting the player decide when to summon the next hero.

Fizzii

Thanks for the feedback, blueskirt!
The glitches should be fixed in a week when Radiant gets back. Muggit's options should be still accessible by pressing esc.

You shouldn't need to save too often, just once before you set everything for each hero (that is, after the death of each hero), and then once just before each hero comes along (this is autosaved). It's five+ minutes before each hero shows up (though I believe Radiant made this longer), and it doesn't actually take that long to put everything in the right place - most of the time spent will be thinking about how to do this rather than actually doing it. Once you've set up everything, you can ask Muggit to send in the next hero so you don't have to wait. The clock is a good idea though.

SSH

m0ds

Radiant has taken certain matters into his own hands on this one, but we're going to try & resolve it. A bit like the BBC trying to resolve the Germany - Turkey game, some things just take a little while! :)

Edit: But it probably won't be coming back to the Games page now.

blueskirt

Wow! What's going on? Has Quest for Yrolg become a collector?

LimpingFish

Unfortunately, for reasons beyond the control of the AGS Ratings Panel, Quest for Yrolg will not be featuring in the AGS games database until further notice.

The game is still available for download from the developers website.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Radiant

Quote from: LimpingFish on Fri 27/06/2008 21:53:20
Unfortunately, for reasons beyond the control of the AGS Ratings Panel, Quest for Yrolg will not be featuring in the AGS games database until further notice.

No, not really. Perhaps we should talk on MSN some time, it's easier than PM'ing.

Radiant

Based on the comments in this thread and the H&T forum, I've uploaded a new version of Quest for Yrolg.
(a) This fixes the bugs people mentioned about the first release.
(b) There's now a timer, as suggested above.
(c) Several hints have been added to make the game more accessible.
(d) The music track has been expanded to over twice its original length.

http://crystalshard.net/?g=8

i cant even start it it says somthing about a script error

Radiant

Quote from: guest on Thu 03/07/2008 20:47:15
i cant even start it it says somthing about a script error

You should not run the game from the ZIP file, but extract it first.

SuperDre

Look great, looking forward to playing it when I have the time... thanx for another great game..

DazJ

Absoloutely beautiful. The graphics for a start are out of this world and fit the style of the game magnificantly.

I adore the humor too - that Murray-esque red cup ;)

Radiant

We're looking for voice actors! Several of the voices have been done already, but there's room for a few extra people. Please post in this thread if you're interested.

DazJ

I'm DEFINATELY interested. Send me a PM :)

not with a bang.

If you're still looking, I've got a nice condenser mic... and I don't really sound like Christopher Walken... :D

Dualnames

Wondering why isn't quest on the database? And why it was removed?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Radiant

Thanks for your offers; I've dropped you both a PM.

(edit) and since a lot of people seem to be wondering about this, "Yrolg" is pronounced "EYE-rolg". I'm surprised how few people got the joke in that name  ;D

Marc2006

Greetings, Radiant!

I recently downloaded your Quest for Yrolg game and was quite impressed..! I would be interested in providing voice overs for any one of your characters - I have extensive background in voice over acting, having taken several advanced voice over schools in Canada. and feel that I can contribute to what you require.

Please feel free to PM me at your earliest convenience. - also - even though it is quite old and I have an actual agency to provide my voice over work to me, you may also check out my link to my voice123 voiceover portfolio. http://voice123.com/jeremydziewurski

I thank you in advance :)

Azure

I'd be interested in doing some voices if there are still any parts going.
www.voiceacting.space - Casting Calls for voice actors

adoblivione

Howdy..  I'd love to help out with some voice acting if you still need someone.  Just drop me a PM =)

Radiant

Okay, I dropped you three a PM as well.

I've received two sets of voices in good order (Grundy's and Joel's) - thanks guys!

eVOLVE

Still waiting to hear back where to send voice test :)
James 'eVOLVE' Hamer-Morton

DutchMarco

If you still have some voices left to do, I'd happily  do one (or more) of them. PM me or something, I have listed my MSN-address  in my profile so it should be visible on the forum, I believe.

BTW I hop I can equal your qu]lity of voiec acting for Underworld, but I'm not sure I can - that was great! Oh and I do have microphones. if you'd like a sample, just tell me what the character is supposed to sound like, and what they have to say.

Radiant

Update:

The Voice Pack has been completed, and is now available.

A big thanks to Evolve, Azure, Joel, Grundy, and Notwithabang for making this possible! Also, thanks to the other people who auditioned and didn't get a role.

Incidentally, this also fixes the bugs people mentioned, including the lack of scrollbars on the save/load GUI, and Muggit inching off-screen. Note that the accompanying winsetup.exe can be used to turn music off, should you want to.

Azure

Yay awesome, now to actually sit down and finish it  ;D
www.voiceacting.space - Casting Calls for voice actors

Radiant

(update)

Thanks to Veronika and Ludovic, Quest for Yrolg has now been translated into French and Czech, and has the language packs available in the main download. For all you international folks out there! :)

DrWhite

Czech rocks! I think I shall play the game once again.

.M.M.

I wanted to play this game and now... czech translation? Awesome!  :o  :D Downloading now...

Radiant

And now we celebrate our seventh and eighth translation of Quest for Yrolg, which is to say Hungarian and Dutch. Thanks go to Bela Selmeci. This is probably one of the most translated indie games ever, by now :)

http://crystalshard.net/index.php?g=8

Radiant

This game is now available in Italian, courtesy of Davide Toccafondi.

Radiant

mercenario

Congratulations! Added to my wishlist...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk