AGS 3.0.2 SP1 now available!

Started by Pumaman, Sat 21/06/2008 17:39:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

The first day of summer brings you an all-new release of AGS!

Changes in 3.0.2 Service Pack 1:

* Editor now gives friendlier error message if a hotspot description is too long
* Fix to workaround .NET error importing a portion of a sprite
* Fixed editor allowing you to name a gui or character such that its legacy macro name led to a compile error (eg. "gGui" or "cGui")
* Fixed No Transparency sprite import not working properly if the sprite colour depth had to be converted

Changes since 3.0.1 are as follows:

* Added Global Variables pane to editor, to allow you to easily declare global variables for the script instead of having to do all the import/export rubbish
* Added script functions Dialog.GetOptionText, Dialog.DisplayOptions, Dialog.OptionCount, Game.DialogCount, DynamicSprite.CreateFromDrawingSurface
* Added plugin API functions IsRunningUnderDebugger, BreakIntoDebugger and GetPathToFileInCompiledFolder
* Added editor plugin API methods ShowSpriteSelector, SetStatusBarText, Game.Sprites, CreateNewSprite, ChangeSpriteImage, GetSpriteUsageReport, DeleteSprite
* Improved responsiveness of room Edges editor under Windows Vista
* Improved look of various dialogs when run at 120 DPI
* Improved parsing of function list in script editor when the script contains comments and strings
* Editor now makes sure that you don't name a View the same as a character
* When importing alpha channel images, alpha-transparent pixels are now recognised as transparent pixels
* New GUI alpha channel method (in General Settings) to allow more intuitive rendering of alpha channels on GUI controls
* Alpha-transparent background and borders are now supported for textwindow GUIs
* Added option to put sprite and sound files under source control
* Modified source control integration not to check in the username, which was happening in some cases
* Updated to v1.6.0 of Verb Coin template (thanks Electroshokker!)
* Room editor now shows "?" for mouse position when the cursor is outside the room area
* Improved editor behaviour on startup if registry entries have been corrupted
* Fixed demo game not compiling
* Fixed editor error loading games if your regional settings had a space in the short date format
* Fixed excluded room files still being compiled into the game EXE
* Fixed potential managed object pool corruption if you used SayBackground a lot
* Fixed some TTF fonts being incorrectly positioned in the editor GUI previewer
* Fixed hotspot sometimes getting corrupted when importing a new background
* Fixed exported GUIs not having the sprite resolutions exported correctly
* Fixed line and rectangle tools sometimes being slightly out from where the area actually appeared
* Fixed alpha channel not working on graphical Overlays
* Fixed 8-bit rooms from 2.72 not being displayed correctly in the editor if they used gamewide colours
* Fixed DrawingSurface.GetPixel sometimes returning invalid values in 32-bit games
* Fixed translation file generation failing if a script included a speech mark inside quotes ('"')
* Fixed Game.TranslationFilename property returning a path when the game is run under the debugger
* Fixed crash if you tried to crop edges on a completely transparent sprite
* Fixed Mouse.ChangeModeView crashing if you passed a View of -1
* Fixed Voice Actor Script generation giving error if you used "Narrator" (with a capital N) in a dialog script
* Fixed speech.vox being generated even if you had no speech
* Fixed transparency being lost when importing an 8-bit character into a hi-colour game
* Fixed the last imported image file being locked by the editor
* Fixed template generation failing if the template had speech or translations
* Fixed template generation saying it was successful even when it failed
* Fixed Create New Game not putting music/sound files in the sub-folders
* Fixed dynamic arrays not working if you had Left-to-right Precedence turned off
* Fixed view preview not flipping frames if they were being scaled down
* Fixed view preview not being updated if you changed the currently displayed sprite's Flipped setting
* Fixed script editor function list not including extender functions
* Fixed editor crash if you deleted a GUI control whilst in the middle of dragging it around
* Fixed editor crash if you deleted the Compiled folder while it was running
* Fixed editor crash if you selected a whole line of script and then pressed F1
* Fixed error generating voice acting script if there was a player.Say line in the script with no indentation
* Fixed crash in sprite import window when zooming out and in of the bottom right corner
* Fixed intermittent error after closing game when using debugger

Get it from the download page on the website:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/acdload.htm

Ishmael

Quote from: Pumaman on Sat 21/06/2008 17:39:25
* Room editor now shows "?" for mouse position when the cursor is outside the room area

I'm a bit unsure how I'll cope with this Nevermind, it works differently than I imagined. Silly me.

Looks great :)
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Ponch

Quote from: Pumaman on Sat 21/06/2008 17:39:25
* Added Global Variables pane to editor, to allow you to easily declare global variables for the script instead of having to do all the import/export rubbish

Oh, thank God! My prayers have been answered at long last! Seriously, I could organize a (most likely rather disappointing)religion around you right now for that little feature! Thanks CJ.

- Ponch

TwinMoon

Quote from: Pumaman on Sat 21/06/2008 17:39:25* Fixed the last imported image file being locked by the editor

Because of how I work, this has been a constant nuisance. Thanks for fixing it!

Dualnames

I would love to post this. I don't know if it's a bug of AGS or the audio editor plugin. But anyway, when AGS is open and i add or remove sounds on the sounds dir of the currently open game the editor crashes.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Inkoddi

This is more of an issue with the installer than the editor itself, but the demo game does not install inside the specified AGS directory, but rather in C:\ProgramData\ which is a system folder and hidden by default in Vista.

Maybe this only happens for me, but it did cause a few WTFs.

Dualnames

I just thought you might wanna know about it. I imported fully transparent image. And i used it as an object. Well, AGS considered certain object as not clickable, and only by changing its image to sth non fully ftransparent could make it clickable. This used to not exist in previous versions, I think. Or probably I didn't notice. Why not make it clickable and if the scripter wishes he could make it non-clickable.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

JpSoft

Quote* Alpha-transparent background and borders are now supported for textwindow GUIs

I just discovered last night that 3.0.0 do not include it and i were looking for references to see if anyone else has already posted the sugerence  :D

Ready to upgrade...(it minds, ready to check possible troubles upgrading from 3.0.0)

Jp

Ishmael

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 23/06/2008 10:55:31
I just thought you might wanna know about it. I imported fully transparent image. And i used it as an object. Well, AGS considered certain object as not clickable, and only by changing its image to sth non fully ftransparent could make it clickable. This used to not exist in previous versions, I think. Or probably I didn't notice. Why not make it clickable and if the scripter wishes he could make it non-clickable.

Pixel-perfect click detection at work?

\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Pumaman

A fairly serious bug was found in 3.0.2 with compiling EXE files, which is now fixed. A new version of the 3.0.2 files has been uploaded. If you downloaded it before now, please download it again (the Check For Updates menu option will tell you if you need the patch).

QuoteI would love to post this. I don't know if it's a bug of AGS or the audio editor plugin. But anyway, when AGS is open and i add or remove sounds on the sounds dir of the currently open game the editor crashes.

Come on man, you know you need to be more specific than that. Any error messages?
It probably is the plugin because the AGS Editor doesn't normally attempt to access the sound files until you compile the game.

QuoteThis is more of an issue with the installer than the editor itself, but the demo game does not install inside the specified AGS directory, but rather in C:\ProgramData\ which is a system folder and hidden by default in Vista.

This was deliberate, because the C:\ProgramData was apparently the right place for installing application data for multiple users. Anyway, I've reverted that in the new 3.0.2 installer so it puts it in the main AGS folder and sets the permissions to allow all users to access it.

QuoteI just thought you might wanna know about it. I imported fully transparent image. And i used it as an object. Well, AGS considered certain object as not clickable, and only by changing its image to sth non fully ftransparent could make it clickable. This used to not exist in previous versions, I think. Or probably I didn't notice. Why not make it clickable and if the scripter wishes he could make it non-clickable.

Ash Ishmael says, are you using pixel-perfect click detection? If so, and the image is fully transparent, you won't be able to click on it.

Ishmael

Ookay... I imported a 2-colour (black and white) standard .bmp file, or tried, zoomed in a bit, set the grab size and clicked to grab... and boom:

QuoteError: Muisti ei riitä.
Version: AGS 3.0.2.42

System.OutOfMemoryException: Muisti ei riitä.
   kohteessa System.Drawing.Bitmap.Clone(Rectangle rect, PixelFormat format)
   kohteessa AGS.Editor.SpriteImportWindow.previewPanel_MouseDown(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Saying "Out of memory". Followed by:

QuoteError: Yleinen virhe GDI+:ssa.

System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException: Yleinen virhe GDI+:ssa.
   kohteessa System.Drawing.Graphics.CheckErrorStatus(Int32 status)
   kohteessa System.Drawing.Graphics.DrawImage(Image image, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height)
   kohteessa AGS.Editor.SpriteImportWindow.previewPanel_Paint(Object sender, PaintEventArgs e)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer, Boolean disposeEventArgs)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Saying "General error in GDI+" and a huge cross on a white background in the sprite grab area.

I doubt AGS and Photoshop have eaten up all my 2GB of RAM already.

I downloaded the small patch you set up earlier, but haven't gotten the all-new 3.0.2 release. Could this be because of that?

Gilbert

Hmmm, by 2-colour standard .bmp did you mean it's a 1bpp image, or a 8/24/32bpp one which contains only 2 distinct colours? I'm not sure but I think 1bpp images were never supported. Rewarding with a crash is definitely something that should be fixed though.

Ishmael

Oh, sorry, I was a bit unclear. It's whatever MSPaint saves in, 24bpp I think, but with only 2 distinct colours in it.

And the funny thing is, AGS didn't close down or anything, it just gave the errors repeatedly when trying to import the sprite. Also, downloading .43 didn't change a thing. Using the "grab whole image" button works OK, but selecting an area and trying to grab that doesn't.

Pumaman

Quote from: Ishmael on Tue 24/06/2008 01:47:46
Ookay... I imported a 2-colour (black and white) standard .bmp file, or tried, zoomed in a bit, set the grab size and clicked to grab... and boom:

Error: Muisti ei riitä.

System.OutOfMemoryException: Muisti ei riitä.
   kohteessa System.Drawing.Bitmap.Clone(Rectangle rect, PixelFormat format)

I've had this happen occasionally since 3.0 when importing a portion of a sprite image, it seems to be a bug in the .NET Framework. I don't think it's specific to 3.0.2 -- however, it is something that I should try and work around because it is very annoying when it happens.

Ishmael

Ah, ok. Good to know. Thanks.

JpSoft

Looks like i cant modify global variables created in the global variables panel though my modules. Its a bug? maybe its how it is suppossed to work? (global variables only works with global script and rooms?) or im doing something wrong?

Jp

TwinMoon

(I'm using the latest version of AGS)

When I type the NAME the variable has in the Global Variables Panel in a module, it is shown in the dropdown menu.

You're not using SetGlobalInt?

VK Dan

Itty bitty scaling bug with the new Global Variables editor. When I resize the editor horizontally, the Global Variables pane doesn't resize with it. Here's a screenshot showing what I mean. Notice the blank space to the right of the editing pane.

Pumaman

Quote from: JpSoft on Wed 25/06/2008 10:36:04
Looks like i cant modify global variables created in the global variables panel though my modules. Its a bug? maybe its how it is suppossed to work? (global variables only works with global script and rooms?) or I'm doing something wrong?

It should work, what error are you getting? What are you trying to do? Can you post the script code you're trying to use?

QuoteItty bitty scaling bug with the new Global Variables editor. When I resize the editor horizontally, the Global Variables pane doesn't resize with it. Here's a screenshot showing what I mean. Notice the blank space to the right of the editing pane.

That's not really a bug, the same happens with the Text Parser editor. It doesn't stretch to the window size because it would look a bit silly if you maximized the editor at 1280x1024 and the list box stretched across the whole screen.

Play_Pretend

BUG:  Possibly...I tried using the Voice acting line generator again, and my VoiceSpeech.TXT file was completely empty except for:

*** All text lines, in order of appearance in the scripts ***

Am I misunderstanding this?  Is it not supposed to export all dialogues, Say and Display commands?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk