Robbing the Princess

Started by OneDollar, Wed 25/11/2009 22:02:11

Previous topic - Next topic

OneDollar

Robbing the Princess

Download

Alec and Suzy have tracked a stolen cargo crate to the dock, but it looks like it's already been stowed onboard a ship called The Princess. Playing as both characters you'll need to help them find a way onboard and into the hold.

Features:
*Classic 320x240 res graphics
*Several puzzles of different difficulties
*Occasional bursts of animation
*Two playable characters
*Unlockable director's commentary
*As much plot as Mission Impossible 3

This was an entry to the November 2009 MAGS competition and was made over the course of 25 days.

All comments/feedback/bug reports welcome.

Changes
Version 1.16
Fixed a bug where the game would crash when using one of the crates when both characters weren't in the same room. Thanks to LimpingFish for reporting this.

Version 1.15
Fixed a section where the game would appear to hang when you changed rooms with the commentary on, thanks to paolo for reporting this.

Version 1.10
There is a *very* occasional bug when walking around in the dock scene where Alec will seemingly randomly jump to the roof of the pub. Because he cannot climb down from there this effectively renders the game unsolvable and forces the player to restart. Version 1.10 should now detect if Alec has jumped to the roof, and immediately jump him back down to the ground again.

If anyone can figure out how to reliably reproduce this bug please post here, PM or email me and I will try and work out a more permanent solution.

Joseph DiPerla

Wow! Looks great for 25 days of work.
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

Merte

Damn! I hoped the title was meant literally.  ;D

Visit me at naggynerd.com

abstauber

Hey 1$,
I really liked your puzzle design here. It made me feel so clever ;D

Great work, altough:
Spoiler
I don't care much for cliffhanger endings, especially when it's clear that there won't be a sequel. If there will be, I'll edit this post ;)
[close]

Oh and btw. why no isometric perspective?

QuoteUnlockable director's commentary
Where do I enter the password?

Leon

Quote from: abstauber on Fri 27/11/2009 10:15:14
Where do I enter the password?

Press escape. At the bottom right there's a commentary button. Click it and you're asked to enter the password.
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

abstauber

oh no... did I write "the puzzles made me feel smart" before? Not finding the obvious escape button gives me the opposite feeling right now :)

Anyway, thank you very much for this insightful commentary.
Spoiler
although you could have spent the time, adding music :P
[close]

I think it's most interesting, how other people write their games - so thumbs up for this feature.

DrWhite

Lovely game. I really liked your puzzles, probably exept the one 
Spoiler
where you have to fill the bottle with water - I spent about 10mins trying to smuggle the empty glass out of the bar  :P
[close]

Just one thing: some music would have been nice. But well done.

OneDollar

Thanks for all the comments.

@Joseph DiPerla
Thanks, I hope you enjoyed it

@Merte
Heh, yeah it was supposed to catch your attention, though it's not a bad game concept either...

@Abstauber
Glad you liked the puzzles. I though they were good when I came up with them, then became rather unsure when I started programming. I don't think I'll be doing a sequel, though an extended version isn't impossible.
Spoiler
I said that for Breakdown, and that hasn't happened yet.
[close]
Isometric perspective is awesome, but it's a real pain to do walkbehinds in. Originally I wanted everything to be almost completely two dimensional like a platform game but it didn't work well with things like the fire escape so I switched to the current style.

@DrWhite
Glad you liked it.
Spoiler
Allowing the mug to be filled with seawater would have made an already complicated puzzle even harder to script, so I took the easy way out and stopped you doing it ;D. Seriously though, I didn't want to have both characters being able to solve their first puzzles on their own, because you may as well play two different games.
[close]
Ah music. Generally speaking I refuse to commit myself to entering MAGS until I'm about 85% complete, and that's usually not enough time to expect someone to compose some music in. This time I was really rushed and didn't have time to look for free music on the web either.

LimpingFish

Bit of a bug:

If Suzy clicks on the crate in the hold, before -
Spoiler
the security door has been opened
[close]
- the game crashes with:

in "room3.asc", line 795

Error:MoveCharacter: character not in current room

Nicely made game, though. :)
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller