Ben There, Dan That!

Started by thezombiecow, Sun 13/07/2008 17:15:43

Previous topic - Next topic

thezombiecow

'Ben There, Dan That!' is a freeware comedy adventure game by Zombie Cow Studios, written by and somewhat-narcissistically starring the eponymous Dan and Ben, a couple of layabout geeks who always seem to find themselves knee-deep in high-adventure.

Through an improbable series of events, our heroes find themselves trapped on an alien spaceship, and must puzzle their way through multiple madcap dimensions to make their way home.

‘Ben There, Dan That!’ is bursting with bold cartoon graphics, reams of laugh-out-loud dialogue and colourful characters. It also features an incredible musical score by Mike Watts of Encore Music.

Written, naturally, in the ever-awesmoe AGS. Thanks Chris! ;)

Download your copy today FOR FREE, let’s not forget:  www.zombie-cow.com

If you like it, please do tell your friends and mention it on other forums... thanks!

Let us know what you think! Here's our AGS game page.

lemmy101

By far my favouritest AGS game thus far. :) The dialogue's fantastic, very funny, lovely style and presentation, and has perhaps the best walkcycles in any game ever made! :D

Makes me feel kinda sad we didn't make a shorter, comedy game first. :( ;)

Great job Dan!

piperhcombs

I keep getting a error when I try to install this game.  :( It's something link "the cabinet file disk1.cab is corrupt." and it stops installation prematurely. I would really like to play this game.......
:cheers: + :claps:

Temperance&Booth  Sydney&Vaughn  Nadia&Weiss

lemmy101

worked fine for me :S as tube says below try redownloading. It's worth it! :)

tube

I've only played for a bit but I'm loving the game already. I've always been a sucker for witty dialogue.

Quote from: piperhcombs on Sun 13/07/2008 20:59:18
..."the cabinet file disk1.cab is corrupt." and it stops installation prematurely.

I got the same error. Redownloading the game fixed it. Something wrong with the server? Seems like it occasionally corrupts the data it sends out or something.

MashPotato

I LOVED IT.

That is all ;D

EDIT: on second thought, I will expand upon my affection for this game ;)  Hilarious dialogue, fun art style (the sprites were so cute) and animation (as Lemmy said, fabulous walkcycles), and puzzles of just the right difficulty.  Spiffy job, Dan and Ben! :D

G

I keep having an error that pops radomly while instaling the game!  :'(

Ooowwhh!

markbilly

You can get a .zip here. Hosted kindly by lemmy and binky...
Zombie-cow hope to sort the problem pronto! :)

The original download should now be working perfectly.

Just like to say I've played it and it was amazing. One of the funniest, most easy to get along with AGS games so far this year!

G

Awesome! Thank you! I'm going to try this right now

Edit: Double Awesome! You've made something... I don't find words as I'm Spanish and english is not my main language. But I'ts really great!

Congratulations!

Minimi

This game so totally rocks my socks off!

I haven't played it all that much, but I love it already. Especially the music and atmosphere created by the introduction :) The game has alot away of Sam&Max , wich is good! :)

Nickenstien

Completely brilliant!
My favourite AGS game to date, by MILES!

It will make you laugh, it will make you cr... laugh again. AND IT'S FREE!

A very witty and charming game that takes a playful pop at the adventure game genre, and even itself, whilst simultaneously being a fantastic example of said genre. Superb! :D

I salute you Mr. Dan and Mr. Ben. 10/10.

PS: AMAZING. Download it pronto!

ThreeOhFour

I've only played this a short while but I just have to comment. This is so great. Colourful, funny and very stylish.

The writing is also excellent. I loved the fact that when:

Spoiler
I clicked the lightbulb and he said "I'm not touching that. Only a complete idiot would touch that" I knew exactly what to do, immediately ;D
[close]

Very, very cool.

sthomannch

This is a beautiful game, good jokes and excellent puzzles! Made me laugh a lot. Thank you

Eva

I'm sure it's a nice game, it's just that i find it hard to read the dialogue. The letters are of a chubby font and seem to clump together so that it's hard to distinguish each word, and also the colour is not the best considering some backgrounds. Some times I wish games could have white text on a black background - just like when something on TV is subtitled.

Also, the dialogue speed is on the fast side, English is not my native tongue and I would have like a few more seconds to read the text.

Gilbert

You can change the text speed in this game, unless the slowest setting is still too fast for you.

I'm close to the end I think, a bit stuck but I don't want hints yet.

All I can say is that this game is brilliant! Lovely graphics, really nice humour and interesting puzzles. Don't know why I'm kept reminded of Rodekill and RLBAT though. :=

One good thing about this game is that you get different (and relevant) responses for clicking (and using items) on nearly every spot (like Ace Quest, I bet for some reasons people may not get as annoyed in this game as in AQ, I was never annoyed by the text in AQ personally though). On the down (good?) side, this may make progressing in the game a bit harder as you need to filter out which of the texts are crucial hints to solve a puzzle.

One thing I found a bit unfriendly is, you need to click through a number of icons to get to your desired mode, which can be annoying sometimes, if the actions are also placed on the popup top-bar like the SCI games they could be accessed easier.

Also, though I think the walking speed is perfect, it's still a bit slow when travelling at times, especially at the long corridor where you need to go from a room on a side to another room on the other far side of it.

All and all, the details in this game is amazing, you get animation for doing nearly everything, also nice story-telling cutscenes. These are all good things.

Looking forward to seeing another nice game. :D

Inkoddi

QuoteWebsite not yet configured    

The website you are trying to access is
unknown in the system.

Best regards,
Your Hosting team

I am sad. Is there any chance for a mirror somewhere? I want to play this.

lemmy101

A mirror until the zombiecow servers recover: Should be fixed now. Link removed

Kweepa

Awesome game, thanks Dan!
It starts off a bit slow with the apartment setting, but once you get past the first puzzle it picks up tremendously.
I did have a couple of gripes with the characters coming up with pointless reasons for not doing something rather than just bloody doing it though.
Spoiler

Melting the lamppost with lava. Why is that a worse solution than cutting it with a can opener? That really stumped me, particularly since I thought the dioramas were just illustrations so I didn't pick up the can opener for ages.
Picking up the loo cakes in the thermos. I didn't even think to use newspaper since that would be a soggy mess that surely he wouldn't want to carry around. He could have automatically transferred the loo cakes to the newspaper if he needed to get the lava later.
[close]
Oh well, I got there in the end.
Thanks again!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

A fun game, but what's with all the walkcycle hype?  :=

People drawing me to games under false pretenses is unacceptable!  However, I will forgive it in this case since the game is actually fun!

Spoiler
I actually thought of the newspaper with the urinal cakes right away, Steve, though I see your point.  Also, some of the humor in this game doesn't really 'work' for me and I agree the dialog is overlong at times, though I can see why people would enjoy it.
[close]

Well done!

lemmy101

"A fun game, but what's with all the walkcycle hype?"

Are you kidding? We're you expecting HD, 2000 frame walk animations or something from our comments? ;) They're the most hilariously brilliant walkcycles ever.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk