ShattenReyze - new screen - updated 10/09/29

Started by abstauber, Tue 05/08/2008 14:39:04

Previous topic - Next topic

abstauber

Here's the game we're currently working on:

ShattenReyze
This game will be multilingual (english and german for starters) and features a modified scumm gui plus some elements from Loom.
Also there will be at least two fully playable characters which you can already see on those screenshots

Screenshots

Preview of the minigame
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUBW7CsPVgc

Story
As the brothers Chris and Eric attempt to fund their trip homeward journey in a deserted alley, they optain a strange amulett. At the same time, a promient scientist, also known as a problem drinker keeps missing.

Not realising the importance of their discovery, Chris and Eric decide to keep the amulett and get in the way of something they can't foresee... yet.

This game will feature two dimensions connected to each other.

Demo
This will take a while.

Development Progress:

Story: 50%
Scripting: 50%
Graphics (320x200x16): 30%
Sound/Music (mp3): 2%

Expected completion date: 201x

Team:
Abstauber - graphics, code and story
Kaputtnik - story
cat - code and additional graphics
Kastchey - graphics

Homepage
Yes, we even have a homepage now!

Visit us at:
http://shatten.sonores.de/

SSH

Lying to my feet? Surely that seems a bit odd (unless your feet are exceptionally gullible). I think you mean "Lying at my feet".

abstauber

LOL, Beware of the foreigner  ;D
This has not been prove read by anyone before. Maybe it should have...  :)

neon

Looks nice. Two questions:

You have a german title, so you will need a german version. Will there be one?

Don't you think that a release date of March 2008 is a bit optimistic?

Peder 🚀

I just downloaded and "played" it.
And I LOVE it!

Really nice work!
I also really like the sound of the 2 dimensions idea.
I wish you REALLY good luck with this game and I am looking forward to a playable demo! :P.

abstauber

*cough* 2009 *cough* even though that's optimistic too ;)

@neon
For the german version let's see how the story develops. As my english skills are somewhat limited *looks above* I might need a translator or at least a guy helping me with the language.
But I think the english version will have priority.

@Peder
Thanks a lot :) I thought I could finish a playable room before I'll be on vacation, but first story needs to be pointed out.

olafmoriarty

Peder summed it up pretty well: This story looks awesome. I can't wait to play it. I don't normally download demos, but I will on this one. The whole "two stupid guys by accident gets involved in something bigger than they could have foreseen" plotline is well-used, but when used right it can be good, and the whole idea of the two dimensions tied together by light is an excellent idea which I'm really looking forward to seeing done.

A few thoughts about things you might improve:

You've probably already thought about it, but make sure your two characters aren't too identical personality-wise. Of course they have some similarities as they are brothers, but make sure they're two distinct persons and not just two clones of the same person talking to each other. Give them individual wishes and needs, and individual ways of thinking. I was confused in your intro when one of the guys encourages the other to empty the guy's pockets, and when finding the amulet he suddenly changes completely his point to "it would be wrong of us to take it". It feels somehow as if his personality changed more than it should have done in those seconds. Strong personalities is the key to great fiction.

I loved the beginning with the professor walking through the ally, and especially the whole "newspapers blowing in the wind" thing. Kudos for awesome plot revelations with the perfect amount of vagueness!

The Eric-and-Chris-walking scene seemed odd, because it looked as if they weren't moving at all. Since the palm tree stood still, it seemed as if they did as well. If you made the palm pass by them in the background or something, it would look more realistic.

And forgive me for asking, but ... *why* the nine-verb GUI? Most games really don't need it, and for some reason it doesn't FEEL like the right interface for a huge dimension-spanning fantasy/sci-fi-plotline. I really think you would be better off with something more... intuitive. But maybe it's too early to say -- there are people who manage pull off the nine-verb GUI, and maybe you're one of them.

DoorKnobHandle

Quote from: neon on Tue 05/08/2008 15:02:43
You have a german title, so you will need a german version.

Why is that? Deus Ex didn't have a latin translation.

neon

I was just kiddin'.  ;)

Always trying to motivate people to do translations.

But hey, wouldn't that be a cool idea to translate Deus Ex into latin?  ;D

abstauber

@olaf
Thanks for the extensive review!

Plotting:
These are great hints and I'm still working on the characters. My idea is to start with Chris and Eric being somehow the same. Then seperate them and let them develop independently.

Eric & Chris walking scene:
This scene has been inspired by anime movies... they use that "effect" some times. At first I wanted to add some paralax scrolling, but the object.move function is just way too fast. It would have looked as they were flying. Honestly I've seen that scene so often, I just forgot that it looks odd ;)

GUI:
The first reason is rather mundane: 60 pixels less to draw  ::) I also like the panoramic look, the scenery gets, a nearly square background is less dynamic.
I think DOTT never distingishes between push and pull (or open and use) anyway but they kept it for optical reasons... but maybe I should replace the GUI with a 3 verb buttons and the rest for the inventory. I keep that in mind :)

Thanks again!

Anyone else?

btw. there are few german named game with an english language - like Uebersoldier or Angst (okay, that's really old)

Matti

I really liked that teaser. The game sounds interesting, the music is nice and I like the idea of the two dimensions. I'll be keeping an eye on this. Good luck with further progress.

Quote from: abstauber on Wed 06/08/2008 12:53:48
btw. there are few german named game with an english language - like Uebersoldier or Angst (okay, that's really old)

I think "ueber" and "angst" are commonly used in english, just like "kindergarten" and some other words..

Cyrus

Quote from: abstauber on Wed 06/08/2008 12:53:48
maybe I should replace the GUI with a 3 verb buttons and the rest for the inventory. I keep that in mind :)
I don't think so. The GUI creates the LucasArts-ish atmosphere.

Funkmast

hey, looks nice. The music is really clean and gives it a really cinematic type of feel. Well, keep the motivation coming and good luck!!!

eternal_renegade

I thought it was put well together! :)
If you need help with anything, I am glad to.
I am getting better at pixel art, and well I make music as well so yeah!

abstauber

Thanks for all your responses :) I'm glad that you'll like it!

@eternal_renegade: I'm on vacation for the next 4 weeks, so I may contact you afterwards. And pixel-help is always appreciated :)

SuperDre

The graphix looks great.. I hope you finish it...

abstauber

Hey,
I thought it might be time to give you some updates.
This game's in the works since last August and a lot of stuff has happend.

For example, Kaputtnik, Ben304 and Kastchey joined the project and creating wonderful things for the game.
We've also made big steps in the story development and I've to say it's much more fun to write and work in a team.

There's also a new screenshot at the beginning of this thread and there are more to come. It just takes a little more time, until we get some more character graphics updated.

Btw. I've removed the teaser, since it doesn't have very much in common with the game anymore.

SuperDre

And again, I really love the graphix... Ijust cannot stop saying that, as I just really love these kind of graphix.. hehe... Keep up the great work ;)

Peder 🚀

I love the "new" GFX youve done!
Looking splendid!

Dualnames

Good to know someone IS working hard!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk