See no Evil

Started by sharprm, Mon 11/08/2008 00:57:52

Previous topic - Next topic

sharprm

Listen up, because I'm only going to say this once.

This is an adventure game for MEN.

There's a walkthrough included but its blank except for the line "you're a wimp" because REAL men don't use walkthroughs.

There's no screenshot.  I know how to upload photos. I have an photobucket account filled with photos of me fighting in Vietnam. There's no screenshot because I want to weed out the wimps who won't to risk their *precious* time and download quota unless there's a screenshot.

Good. Now that they've left, I'll describe the revolutionary new feature of this game: an EXTRA verb. That's right, in addition to the Monkey Island 2 verbs, there's a BREAK verb. How handy would that have been? "Wally won't give me his monacle". BREAK Wally's face.

Here is the GUI.

First row:

look, pickup, use, talk, give

Second row:

open, close, push, pull, break

Now some quotes:

"It's like Beneath a Steel sky and Monkey Island had a baby. A REALLY ugly baby" -- Fake Name, Fake town

"The GUI is retarded. Only autistic people can construct sentences using pictures" -- Family member

"Totally Awesome. The creator must be the bastard child of Ron Gilbert" -- Me

"Only one room, what a rip off!" -- Anonymous

"I won't download this until you post a screenshot" -- Annoying person, right before I punched them in the face

Download link:

http://www.box.net/shared/21ymyn806n

UNRESOLVED BUG: someone has found a bug where they can't use the jumper leads with the black box even after the door console has been removed and black box cooled. If you get this, sorry thats the end of the game for you.

Anyways, post feedback and any errors you find please.

Thanks to Proskrito and skuttleman for template + KAD respectively.

Also if you were one of the fellas who showed Ron Gilbert your game, can you post or message about how that went?

I think it would be cool to reverse the cycle and have Ron play your adventure game. I won't show him this yet because its not finished, but I'd like to know if he was interested in playing good amateur games like FOY.

Yes, it's only one room.

TheJBurger

Here are my comments:

• Graphically and atmospherically, it's really nice. The artwork, animations, and detail is top-notch. All that was missing was some atmospheric SFX. Excellent detail in the backgrounds and characters.

• Gameplay-wise, I'm not sure what you were going for. The GUI is nice, but many of the options seem redundant. I know you may have wanted to give the player more options than he or she needs, so that the player can figure out the puzzles for themselves, but several verbs weren't used at all or used only once. It was also a little frustrating since you would get generic "I can't do that messages" when using the door, instead of trying to open it, which seemed wrong to me until I remembered there was an open command. The same could apply to the extra inventory items, which I do not like as a personal preference, especially in a game this small.
  • The dialog was witty enough for me, but borderline arrogant.

• The puzzles: I'm not a fan of preforming a series of convoluted tasks to accomplish one simple objective* like "Open the door," but you still put a lot of effort into it. So for that, I have to admire all the work you did. I could have done without the pixel-hunts and maybe a bit more player-direction would have been nice. I admit I used the walkthrough, so yes, I am not a real man.

• Overall, it's very impressive and ranks up in the most-polished AGS games, even though it could use more interaction messages. Nice job!
-

edit: *I'm a hypocrite. Still working on this myself.

sharprm

Quote from: TheJBurger on Mon 11/08/2008 01:47:12

Gameplay-wise, I'm not sure what you were going for. The GUI is nice, but many of the options seem redundant. I know you may have wanted to give the player more options than he or she needs, so that the player can figure out the puzzles for themselves, but several verbs weren't used at all or used only once. It was also a little frustrating since you would get generic "I can't do that messages" when using the door, instead of trying to open it, which seemed wrong to me until I remembered there was an open command. The same could apply to the extra inventory items, which I do not like as a personal preference, especially in a game this small.

Some of the options are currently redundant but the finished game will use those verbs. An interaction for "Use" door will be added, thanks. Though I can see why you might be overwhelmed by items, the lightbulb and the i.d. card are technically the only unused items.

The dialog was witty enough for me, but borderline arrogant.

I find it amusing - good to know someone else finds it funny.

Overall, it's very impressive and ranks up in the most-polished AGS games, even though it could use more interaction messages. Nice job![/list]

Thanks for playing + compliment.

Iv4n

But you DO post screenshots! Liar! Now I won't download it :P ;)

Khris

NICE!

But I missed not being able to skip the intro stuff.

Trying to solve it without the WT,
    Spoiler
    I cooled the black box to soon and was unable to light the gunpowder. I assume the mentioned alternative way involves the mirror and the light to the right of the screen, but I couldn't figure out what to do.
    [close]

EDIT: LOL @ post below mine

Darth Mandarb

Yeah ...

So is this game done/complete or are you still working on it?

sharprm

Iv4n: Not only that but I was wearing women's underwear when I wrote that whole post.

Khris: Take a look at the mirror, she says the black paint is flaking off. That should be a clue how to proceed. Also think back to monkey island 1, there's another clue.

Darth: The game is not done [edit: so I think this is the right place to post]. Only a game where you found out what caused the explosion, who the creepy guy was, is this all just a dream etc. would be satisfying to play.

[edit: When it will be completed is unknown. I'm sure you guys are familiar with this but I was surprised how much work went into just one room. When I do get some more work done on it I will be sure to post...]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk