Tune Contest: Freebird! (11 aug - 5 sep)

Started by TwinMoon, Mon 11/08/2008 18:42:59

Previous topic - Next topic

TwinMoon

Anyone going to Lowlands* next week? (I'm not :()
But you can still make me feel like I was there, by writing me some rock 'n roll! Woo!
(With Rock 'n roll I also mean the styles it spawned: hardrock, alt.rock, punkrock / grunge.)

Rules:
- No rules!
- Ok, one rule: enter before 5 september. After that there's two days of voting.

We'll skip the uploading anonymously part and post right into this thread, ok? The next host can decide if s/he brings it back.

* Lowlands is the second biggest festival in the Netherlands

DoorKnobHandle

Well, there's probably a festival for any kind of music, so I think there really are no rules or guidelines or anything this round. Not sure whether that's a good idea, to be honest.

TwinMoon

The word festival to me means alternative rock, punkpop, hardrock, hiphop.
I intentionally tried to keep it a little broad, but I'll narrow it down a little, ok?

EDIT: Ok, changed from 'festival music' to 'rock 'n roll'. This'll also make the voting a little easier...

TheMagician

Wow, that's gonna be tough - I can't think of festival rock music without lyrics ;) I have no experience with that kind of music whatsoever. And the deadline is one day before my final exams :)
I'll see if I can enter.   -  Is PunkRock allowed?

Misj'

Completely off-topic, but I just can't resist:

Quote from: TwinMoon on Mon 11/08/2008 18:42:59
* Lowlands is the second biggest festival in Holland

Technically Lowlands is in Flevoland and not in Holland, since Holland is not the name of the country (the Netherlands), but merely the names of two of its provinces. You wouldn't call a Scotchman English (that is, unless you want a battleaxe between your ribs ;) ), and you shouldn't say that someone from for example Gelderland is from Holland (spoken as a true Gelderlander). Of course everyone from America is either Mexican, Canadian, or Texan...but that's a whole different story  ;D

Ok...now go back to the music...

I don't think the term Rock 'n Roll covers the kind of festival that Lowlands is by the way. It focusses more on general modern rock (including many forms of alternative rock) than on Rock 'n Roll (which refers largely to the music style that originated in the 1950's)...

TwinMoon

Quote from: Misj' on Tue 12/08/2008 11:07:36Technically Lowlands is in Flevoland and not in Holland, since Holland is not the name of the country (the Netherlands), but merely the names of two of its provinces.
Hm, I always use Holland and Netherlands like they're interchangeable terms. But you're right; Holland means just the Randstad.

Perhaps I was a little bit too quick in settling with this topic... With rock 'n roll I also mean: alternative rock, hardrock, grunge, bluesrock. And punkrock is also okay.
Just generally something uptempo that... well rocks, ok?

radiowaves

Quote from: TheMagician on Tue 12/08/2008 09:53:46
Wow, that's gonna be tough - I can't think of festival rock music without lyrics ;) I have no experience with that kind of music whatsoever. And the deadline is one day before my final exams :)
I'll see if I can enter.   -  Is PunkRock allowed?

Try looking into sixties ;) There are tons of good tracks out there that mostly rely on good melodies.

Check Chocoreve for examples.
I am just a shallow stereotype, so you should take into consideration that my opinion has no great value to you.

Tracks

Evil

I've been cooking up something this afternoon. It's sort of a stretch for the Festival rule, but it's definitely not rock'n'roll. Hopefully I get around to finishing something other than a melody.

Radiowaves: That link rocks my world. A fantastic website. Thanks!

PS: RapidShare sucks. I can only download one rar at a time :(

radiowaves

Ok, I scraped something together also, in just an hour :P

I don't own a guitar or anything, so its very sample based, I just made the drum patterns and fiddeled with guitars for half an hour to make them sound right for this kind of track.

I am not shure if this is the kind what you have been waiting, since its not directly rock, its grind - yeah, I like brutality.

http://www.box.net/shared/xd4v92yv6q

There is still time left, so maybe I can make a proper track also, who knows...
I am just a shallow stereotype, so you should take into consideration that my opinion has no great value to you.

Tracks

TheMagician

argh, radiowaves, why did you have to post an entry? :)
If there would've been no entries yet it would've been easier to ask for an extension of the deadline ;)

I'll ask anyway: my final biology exams are next week tuesday. Is it possible to extend the deadline until thursday night one week from now? (that would be 5 September 0:00)

TheMagician

TwinMoon, would you please say something about my deadline request?

radiowaves

Heh, why not just make a track? I doubt that anyone really cares about the deadline anyway... If he closes the competition and you are not ready with your track, is that a really bad thing? I think its more about improving the composition skills. In fact, I've never taken it as a competition, I have just made tracs, sometimes not even the topic in my mind.

Tracks

TwinMoon

I don't check the forums one day and already I'm being missed ;)

Since there's only one entry so far, I'd be happy to extend the deadline. 5 september it is.

TheMagician

Thanks TwinMoon  :)
Don't make me look like the bad guy, radiowaves ;)  I must admit that I do these competitions both for learning something but also to try and win. After all I don't get any recognition in real life so I try to get it here  :P

Evil

I should have an entry in soon. I've got it all written, I just have to record it. Hooray for deadline extensions!   \ ^_^ /

Questionable

So, I couldn't deicde what type of music to go for. And, not knowing what Lowlands REALLY is, or the type of music I figured i'd cover as many bases as I could. So here's my entry. Imagine you're walking around the festival and you're hearing different bands, it all blends together, but it's all so different. Like architecture. They're all cement, steel, wood, bricks... they're all the same. But they're all different. And imagine all the girls... yes the European women... Ahhh yes... In the sun... What's that? You want to make out? Why su-

So... here it is:
http://www.archive.org/download/LowlandsDayOne/LowlandsDayOne.mp3
All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

TwinMoon

We have two great entries: a short & heavy stomper by Radiowaves and a long epic by Questionable.
Goob job guys - exactly what I had in mind!

And for any other partakers: roughly 12 hours left!

TheMagician

Oh this is so sad. First I want the deadline extended, then I don't even manage to create a complete song.
Anyway, here is

The Intro - by: Your Average Punk-Band

And wow - what a monster song did you create there, Questionable? It sounds like a walk through every imaginable style of playing electric guitars :) Did you do that on a loop basis or a sample basis?

Questionable

Both. =D

I knew time was short so the fastest way to make an instrumental song is with loops, so I chopped up pieces of other songs I had and recycled them and looped them, then threw in some loops I already had made and tried to make it all flow.

Given more time I would have used fades, envelopes... makes some sound effects like there was a crowd screaming in the background all the time... and the intro (which was supposed to be a band warming up) would have sounded like what it was supposed to.
All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk