flower girl

Started by toonaholic, Wed 17/09/2008 03:10:42

Previous topic - Next topic

toonaholic

well I finished my first AGS game flower girl.  there are probably some bugs and some things I could have done better.  my main focus was the graphics and had never really scripted before. I hope you like it please let me know what you think. 
story:
There is a little village atop a mountain that has been plagued with a horrible wind storm during planting season.  There seed carts have been blown away. And they have no seed to plant for the harvest.  A little girl  flower is sent down to the valley to retrieve some seed from an ancient storehouse in a cave.  When she gets there she finds the cave not as accessible as she had hoped. Of coarse she meets all sorts of creatures that can help her if she can help them.

download flower girl

neon

Played it for a few minutes, wished I had more time right now.
The graphics are really nice, also the music. But the game needs a bit of improvement. Someone should correct the grammar and remove typos and the walking areas are too close to the edges, sometimes I was standing with the feet in the sky.

Your graphic style is very original, I like it.

Leon

Very original graphics. I played the intro and noticed:

-: the file was renamed after compilation from forestfun.exe to flowergirl.exe (hence setup.exe doesn't work properly)
-: text speed is pretty fast.
-: so there's hardly time to watch the graphics (and that's a shame),
-: and there are quite a lot of typos/grammar errors in the intro alone, like neon said, that makes me wonder what the game will be like.

I'll keep you posted.

[update:] Finished the game. Very cute graphics & diversity of characters. The puzzle, if you can call it that at all, is very simple. Since you have the advantage of the graphics part, maybe it's an idea to team up with a  puzzle designer and see what comes up for a full lenght adventure.

btw, I didn't have any trouble with walking areas and debug mode is still on. After finishing the game, the reset is not done properly. Playing again leaves complete inventory and characters in finished state. It's better/easier to simulate F9 (restart) so all is reset correctly.

Just out of curiosity..
Spoiler
What's with the berries? I needed something to put them in but never found something. Did you plan another part here and didn't complete or was I able to skip something and missed part of the action?
Figured it out already. But you can skip this in your quest. So it's actually a red berry eehhh herring ;-) There's still no use? I can't fish with it, no one wants them...?
[close]

update 2:

Spoiler
Giving the bone to the archeologist doesn't remove it from the inventory.
[close]

Update 3 (final):

I get all the confusion now (or maybe not):

Spoiler
- It's possible to start fishing even without getting the pole from the paperboy. But not getting it from the paperboy, doesn't get you any fish. Since I didn't find the paperboy at first, I didn't know what the egg was for.
- You need to use the bag on the berriebush first and then take the berries. If you don't you can't take the berries but also don't get a message.
- I still don't get the berrie part, nor the squirrel, nor the nuts....
- I get the map when I give the fish. But I covered the whole area already and the place isn't that big.... so why the map?
[close]
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Monk

luv the drawing style mate, nice and sharp!.. permission to download!

'Cheers

toonaholic

sorry for all the typos I will have to really check it out.  some of the grammar was done on purpose for what ever silly way my mind works.  I will admit all my papers in high school came back with a lot of red on them.  I am also aware of the simplicity of puzzles.  I  really should team up with someone.  I will try and fix some of the stuff you guys mentioned and re upload it.  thanks for the input

robvalue

This was a fun game, I liked it, thanks!

The Ivy

Very cute little game! The art style was very original, and I really liked your choice of palette for the backgrounds. I liked the trees and shrubs especially, and I think they did a good job of making the character sprites stand out.

Great work for a first game. The only thing that really caught my eye was the grammar, but that could all be fixed by enlisting some beta testers. You're right that the puzzles were easy, but it's a good way of making sure people play through to the end of the game (although others may disagree with me here). Anyway, I really hope to see some future work from you. :)

Jared

Nice little game with exceptionally lovely looking characters. The collaboration idea, as mooted, sounds like a good one.

robvalue

I wouldn't say easy puzzles are a bad thing. In too many games I'm reduced to either randomly using everything on everything or reading a walkthrough, and that is just no fun. Often the solution I read i know I wouldn't have ever worked out by logic, and that is a sign of a bad game.

If this for example was going to be a longer game, the kind of puzzles you have would be perfect for getting someone into the game, then they could be built up in complexity as the game goes on. But I just hate stupid obscure puzzles, and I have a pet hate for button pressing and number guessing puzzles, they are often really obscure anyway and detract from the atmosphere of the game.

Keep up the good work!

I agree I would love to see future games from you, this is an excellent first game.

toonaholic

My fixes are delayed because I really want to nail most of the bugs at once.  I would really appreciate any help with spelling or grammar errors, considering I am the one who messed it up in the first place.  if any one wants to help me fix bugs that would also be great.   I will be frank, this is my first game, first scripting attempt and I am just amazed I made a game.  there is a lot about scripting and all that jazz I still have to learn.  I am really thinking teaming up would be a good Idea, I could probably learn tons. 

Puddleglum

Congratulations on finishing! :)
I've *just* started the game so I'll tell you my very first impressions. Graphics obviously adorable and great. Something that is bugging me is I am unable to interact with many items, for example, I can look at the dog, but if I use the hand or speak on him I don't get any message. It would just be nice if it at least said "I can't touch him, he looks vicious!" or "Dogs don't speak!" or something like that. Sorry to be picky, just some constructive criticism! :-*
Off to finish the game!

toonaholic

I welcome the criticism, this is my first game and I need all the help I can get.  I am compiling a list of errors, shortcomings, and stuff I plain forgot.  I appreciate all the feed back. I plan to in the not so distant future re release it with bug fixes, and stuff I forgot fixes.  already I can see the stuff I need to look out for in my next game. thanks again

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk