MAGS 2008-10: Stone Age

Started by Klaus, Wed 01/10/2008 09:25:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

Please do not just enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created in just some hours or a few days)!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: Stone Age

This month's guidelines were set by last month's winner Radiant:

Back in the good old days, men wore animal skins, carried heavy clubs to hit each other on the head with, and chased down dinosaurs for breakfast. We didn't need such fancy new-fangled inventions like the wheel or fire, we just herded our woolly mammoths all day and watched the the latest show on painted cave walls. We don't need you young punks with your fancy spears, nosiree!

The game should play in the Stone Age. Whether this is a serious stone age (like on Discovery Channel) or a silly one (like on the Flintstones) is up to you. Possible other sources of inspiration include Joe & Mac Caveman Ninja, or the Clan of the Cavebear books; or try speaking only in monosyllables for a while and see what you come up with. The main character may be human, but could also be something else, like a pterodactyl or something.

Furthermore, the game should involve a new invention. This could either be a classic (like the wheel or fire), or something weird (like a cuckoo clock that nobody knows what to use it for). No further restrictions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All games need to be in by October 25th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Eggie

OOH!
Nice rules! Nice rules which aren't all obscure and confusing and limited...

I kind of want to try and make something... or at least draw some sexy cavegirl sprites... Anyone need sexy cavegirl sprites?

paolo

I played a Flash game that would have qualified for this (except it wasn't an AGS game, of course) not so long ago, where there were various levels and you (a caveman) had to complete a task at each level (make fire, woo a cavewoman and start a family, etc). Did anyone else play it and can anyone remind me what it was called? It wasn't OgOg but it was similar.

Akatosh

OneDollar

Quote from: paolo on Wed 01/10/2008 14:08:51
I played a Flash game that would have qualified for this (except it wasn't an AGS game, of course) not so long ago, where there were various levels and you (a caveman) had to complete a task at each level (make fire, woo a cavewoman and start a family, etc). Did anyone else play it and can anyone remind me what it was called? It wasn't OgOg but it was similar.

Is StoneAge Sam the one you're thinking of?

Squinky

Quote from: Eggie on Wed 01/10/2008 13:40:00
OOH!
Nice rules! Nice rules which aren't all obscure and confusing and limited...

I kind of want to try and make something... or at least draw some sexy cavegirl sprites... Anyone need sexy cavegirl sprites?

Ummm....yes? I need them to get up, get on the floor, and walk the dinosaur....

I likes these rules muchly....maybe, just maybe this could be my learning game to the new ags...

Layabout

Maybe a new Gorthor of the Cave People is in order... Or not. I have waaay too much on my plate right now!
I am Jean-Pierre.

lo_res_man

Way back in the when, there was a game called Caveman Ugh-lympics, It had fire making, dino vaulting, and wife tossing. Seriously a lot of fun,  the only one I was any good at was fire making, though I got some good distances with wife tossing.
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

Ishmael

After a long while I might be in, if I come up with the little side detail known as the plot.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Dualnames

Man I'm having a bril idea.. I migjt join in.. 27 days left, and I may come up with something.(I have the idea, sprites music and the rest is missing).
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Matti

Nice topic. I really wanna join this one but I can't start until oct. 10th. Two weeks will be damn little time for that, but let's see.

Play_Pretend

Doh!  I already have a half-finished game that fits all the rules for this, and is actually called "Stone Age"!  I started it years ago and never got around to finishing it. :)

paolo

Quote from: OneDollar on Wed 01/10/2008 22:24:32
Quote from: paolo on Wed 01/10/2008 14:08:51

Is StoneAge Sam the one you're thinking of?

Yes! That's the one. Thanks, OneDollar.

Hurrr! Hurrr! :)

SSH

Hopefully, myself, IndieBoy, Sylvr and Dualnames will produce an entry...

Dualnames

Quote from: SSH on Mon 06/10/2008 17:46:04

Whereas hopefully means, that well we probably wont. As luck would have it I'm composing the music, so I'm actually gonna have to do my stuff anyways. Anyway, I really don;t even know what's the game about but I've agreed/begged to do some music. And I'll enjoy it.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Sylvr

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 06/10/2008 18:04:12
Quote from: SSH on Mon 06/10/2008 17:46:04

Whereas hopefully means, that well we probably wont. As luck would have it I'm composing the music, so I'm actually gonna have to do my stuff anyways. Anyway, I really don;t even know what's the game about but I've agreed/begged to do some music. And I'll enjoy it.

Music or not, we can still produce an entry.
| Ben304: "Peeing is a beautiful thing, Sylvr" |

Ishmael

Aren't team efforts sort of not accepted or something..?

\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Radiant

Quote from: Ishmael on Mon 06/10/2008 20:22:23
Aren't team efforts sort of not accepted or something..?

Sure they are accepted, I can think of plenty of MAGS games that were team efforts.

Ishmael

Oh. I probably recall wrong then. Oh well, carry on and nevermind me.

Eggie

I must have some kind of record for breaking games before there's anything to them to break.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk