DoVaDuLa'S BuRn (english/italian)

Started by PuNKKoMmANDO77, Thu 09/10/2008 13:37:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

paolo

Just to point out to anyone who was put off downloading this before that the download is now a more manageable 58M or so, but please note that this is without the music. The music will be available (eventually) as a separate download. (I had a go at uploading it this morning but the upload didn't complete.)

paolo

Apologies for the bump and the double posting... just to let everyone know that the music for this game is now available for downloading. Here's the link:

Music for DoVaDuLa'S BuRn

Leon

Thnx! No more silence then.... btw, what does this add? I started the game and got a lot of music/noise already.

paolo

Quote from: Leon on Sun 09/11/2008 13:54:46
Thnx! No more silence then.... btw, what does this add? I started the game and got a lot of music/noise already.

Ah, good question. The opening and closing videos are AVIs that have music in them already. There is separate music for each room in the game, plus, of course, music is a key part of the final few scenes. You can play the game without music and it will work just fine, but I'd recommend downloading it, even though it will take a while ;)

By the way, in case it's not obvious, after downloading the music file, you need to unzip it put it in the same folder as the other files for the game. You don't need to download the game again.

Leon

Well, playing this one again and being complex I notice the following:

- When going into dialog mode, there's another background (with Pixie) that messes up the readability.
- The inventory and status bar are contant in your screen, except when looking/using/talking. Annoying since it takes away much of the screen.
- The action icons in the bar on top are poorly selectable. Only in the leftmost top corner you can use them. I find the shortcut keys easier in this case.
- I'd love to scroll through these commands. Now each time I want to look at things, I have to go to the menu, select look, go back to my object etc. Time consuming and annoying in a game that's time consuming already.
- The crosshair in the main map is off-target. You must select the bottom right corner of the total icon (so that's empty) to select a location.
- The downcursor for the inventory-field is pointing up. When down, the one for up is pointing down, unless when mouse over. Then it's pointing up.... ehhh ... get it? Me neither. It's a mess.
- It might be an idea to only show the locations on the map that are usefull/available. People might become overwhelmed by the vast number and stop playing. Building it up gradually adds suspense to the gameplay and is less confronting. (I hope this makes sense, not sure how else to put this).
- Some texts are poorly readable because of colour. Apart from the fact that the font used isn't (in my opnion) optimal for the job and make things even more cluttered that the locations already are.
- With some dialogs (at grandpa's for instance) you assume the player has been to other locations already or at least know the story more. There are dialogs that don't make sense at all when you haven't. (Also with the capitalologist mentioning the emo-girl. I haven't been there yet).
- When talking to someone, sometimes there's a subconversation. Returning to the main thread, shows the first greeting again.
- Interacting with the extinguisher in the studios make me see the map again?

Note to Paolo...

-During conversation with Pino, I see "..." twice. Is that something on purpose or something that couldn't be translated? Is he lost for words (what would be a first.. ;-)?

paolo

Leon, you have been busy :)

Quote from: Leon on Mon 10/11/2008 13:12:25
Well, playing this one again and being complex I notice the following:

- When going into dialog mode, there's another background (with Pixie) that messes up the readability.

Hm, I'm not sure what you mean. Could you post a screenshot?

EDIT: Ah, I see what you mean. That is the GUI for the conversation options. Not a bug, just the way the game is designed.

- The inventory and status bar are contant in your screen, except when looking/using/talking. Annoying since it takes away much of the screen.

You can press Tab to hide the inventory and Tab again to show it again. Indeed, for some puzzles, it's helpful or necessary to see what is at the top of the screen.

- The action icons in the bar on top are poorly selectable. Only in the leftmost top corner you can use them. I find the shortcut keys easier in this case.

One bug I chose to overlook (there were more serious ones) but I agree this is annoying.

- I'd love to scroll through these commands. Now each time I want to look at things, I have to go to the menu, select look, go back to my object etc. Time consuming and annoying in a game that's time consuming already.
- The crosshair in the main map is off-target. You must select the bottom right corner of the total icon (so that's empty) to select a location.
- The downcursor for the inventory-field is pointing up. When down, the one for up is pointing down, unless when mouse over. Then it's pointing up.... ehhh ... get it? Me neither. It's a mess.
- It might be an idea to only show the locations on the map that are usefull/available. People might become overwhelmed by the vast number and stop playing. Building it up gradually adds suspense to the gameplay and is less confronting. (I hope this makes sense, not sure how else to put this).
- Some texts are poorly readable because of colour. Apart from the fact that the font used isn't (in my opnion) optimal for the job and make things even more cluttered that the locations already are.
- With some dialogs (at grandpa's for instance) you assume the player has been to other locations already or at least know the story more. There are dialogs that don't make sense at all when you haven't. (Also with the capitalologist mentioning the emo-girl. I haven't been there yet).
- When talking to someone, sometimes there's a subconversation. Returning to the main thread, shows the first greeting again.

Agreed, but as these are mainly minor (or involve stuff that I didn't want to go fiddling with when I was bug-fixing) I'll leave these for Punkkommando to look at if he wants to do so.

- Interacting with the extinguisher in the studios make me see the map again?

Odd... maybe the hotspots overlap. I'll check.

EDIT: I get this too. How strange. I wonder if it's because Captain Fortune walks to the exit hotspot when you interact with the fire extinguisher.

Note to Paolo...

-During conversation with Pino, I see "..." twice. Is that something on purpose or something that couldn't be translated? Is he lost for words (what would be a first.. ;-)?

No, everything has been translated. Do you mean where Captain Fortune (the leprechaun player character) asks him about his swearing? The original text as dots or dashes censuring it, I suppose (he calls them "sons of b------"). Is this what you are referring to?

EDIT: I see - it's when you ask Pino about his hair and then what shampoo he uses. The two "....." lines were in the original Italian text as well.

Leon

Quote from: paolo on Mon 10/11/2008 18:37:40
You can press Tab to hide the inventory and Tab again to show it again. Indeed, for some puzzles, it's helpful or necessary to see what is at the top of the screen.

I noticed that after I saved the game and the bar was gone... ? But the TAB does the trick indeed.

Do you mean where Captain Fortune (the leprechaun player character) asks him about his swearing?

No, talking to Pino in the studio, ask to talk about something else, then ask about his shampoo.
Pino: You have to put your head in tar for 2 nights.
Captain: "..."
Pino: Then spend the first [..] than the hills.
Captain: "..."

Sure:

paolo

Hi Leon,

I edited my post above before you posted your reply.
Quote from: Leon on Mon 10/11/2008 20:33:36

[screenshot removed]

That is really strange. I don't see this when I play the game.

EDIT:

OK, I've uploaded a patch (just 120K) here to fix the problem with the spirit level. To update the game executable to fix the bug:

* Download the file and save it in the same directory as the game executable (FILES.exe).
* Save the game and close it down, if you haven't already done so.
* Run the patch file.
* Restart the game. You should be able to use your existing savegames with the updated game.

Leon

Man, do I feel stupid....
To be sure, I downloaded the link above (the game) again to be sure I had the most recent one. That one also gives me this message.

paolo

Quote from: Leon on Tue 11/11/2008 03:15:40
Man, do I feel stupid....
To be sure, I downloaded the link above (the game) again to be sure I had the most recent one. That one also gives me this message.

Aargh, thanks for letting me know. Maybe I've tinkered with the code since I uploaded it, but I don't think I have.

Looks like I'm going to have to upload the whole game again then and everyone will have to download it again.

I'm sorry about this. I'll let everyone know when the new game has been uploaded, and hopefully the savegames will continue to work in the revised game.

EDIT: OK, I've checked all the objects and hotspots to make sure none of them are hidden by the bar at the bottom of the screen. I've uploaded the game again. Here's the new link:

DoVaDuLa'S BuRn

Your old savegames should work with this new version. Sorry for the inconvenience, everyone.

Nostradamus

FileFront really sucks.
I've been trying to download this for weeks but it always has some lame excuse like "no download server available" etc.
I suggest uploading this to a normal hosting site if you want more people to enjoy your game. There's a ton of them.

SuperDre

Quote from: Nostradamus on Sun 16/11/2008 15:03:28
FileFront really sucks.
I've been trying to download this for weeks but it always has some lame excuse like "no download server available" etc.
I suggest uploading this to a normal hosting site if you want more people to enjoy your game. There's a ton of them.

I just tried the link in the post above yours and it works.. the link in the original 1st post doesn't work anymore.. so Paolo please update that link.

Nostradamus

Hitting download now from the post above me just bumps me to www.filefront.com
and before the problem was not broken link, filefront just keep saying that no server available (aka too busy)
There are literally dozens of hosting sites on the internet, why choose why so lame?

albesp77

the link of v1.1 don't work for me too! is possible to upload the whole game (game+audio) to another free server ? Thanks.

Leon

Alright, you can get it here for a couple of days.

albesp77

Quote from: Leon on Sun 18/01/2009 17:59:13
Alright, you can get it here for a couple of days.

Thanks, i'm downloading it ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk