Nightwish.

Started by RetroJay, Sat 21/02/2009 01:46:19

Previous topic - Next topic

RetroJay

Hi Peeps.

I know I have not posted for a while. I have been suffering from depression.
Maybe some of my few posts, lately, have shown this. If they have then I am sorry.

Anyway. I want to ask if anyone here is a fan of "Nightwish"?
I came across them a few weeks ago and, it has to be said, I love them.
However I must say that I preferred "Tarja Turunen" on lead vocals over "Anette Olson" especially on live performances.

What do you think?

Jay. 

ThreeOhFour

Sometimes I feel like the only person in the entire world who likes their new singer better  :'(.

Yeah, they're alright. Funny how we just had a Within Temptation thread the other week ;).

RetroJay

Ben304.

Don't get me wrong. I bought "Dark Passions Play" and thought it was fantastic.
I also bought "Nightwish- Highest hopes- The Best Of Nightwish" and damn!!
Even more fantastic.  ;D

Oh. Another cd I bought was "Tobias Sammet's - Avantasia". It was advertised inside of "Dark passions Play".
Tobias is the front man of a band called "Edguy" but he has a second project known as "Avantasia".
It's good. I think so anyway.

Jay.

ThreeOhFour

Heh, I don't really mind - I think they're both pretty good singers :).

Speaking of Within Temptation as I was before, if you like Nightwish check them out. You may find you also enjoy their music.

RetroJay

Hey Ben304.

Shit. "Within Temptation" sounds great!! :)
I just did a "youtube" search of them and yes, yeS, yES, YES. I LIKE. ;D

That's another band to add to my collection.
I love the song "Angels". Can you tell me what album that is from please?

Jay.

RetroJay

Hey. bicilotti.

Bloody hell. "The Hoaxbunnies". They sound cool too.
Yet another band to add to my collection. LOL. ;D

LUniqueDan

I'm not into metal at all, but I like listening to them once in a while.
They have that something that made me a huge Sister Of Mercy fan.

@Bic, thanks for the link :D
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: RetroJay on Sat 21/02/2009 02:43:49
I love the song "Angels". Can you tell me what album that is from please?

The Silent Force

RetroJay

Hi. LUniqueDan.

Can't say I ever heard any of their stuff although I do know the name. I will give them a try. Thanks.

Ben304. Thank you for the album title.

This is Jay signing off for the night.

Cheers guys.

ThreeOhFour

If you dig female vocals on metal music in general, as opposed to just the really dramatic and semi operatic stuff, you might try Lacuna Coil, although they are quite different from WT and NW.

(you might recognize that song if you ever played Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines)

...alternatively, try Arch Enemy

;) ;D := :-X

Oliwerko

Eh, Arch Enemy always gave me some mixed feelings. I liked that on one hand, but the female vocals there? I don't know. The same feeling I get with Cradle of Filth, where music is perfect, but...yeah, the screams are just awful  :-\

Anyway, one with good female vocals is a Slovak band named Galadriel
Especially when you like that "softer" melodic-kind of metal with organs (not the parts of your body, which is also plausible in this field  ;D)

Buckethead

I'm a really big fan of Nightwish.  :D I was lucky enough to see them live with Tarja aswell aswell as with Anette. I must say most of their older songs are so epic and make me feel awsome when I listen to them. Something I don't really have with the newer songs. They do seem much happier now and much more approachable.

I also saw Within temptation life in Amsterdam a few years ago. I do like their singer but their music isn't as nice. I might check out the other bands mentioned in this thread.

Babar

Quote from: Oliwerko on Sat 21/02/2009 07:59:20
Eh, Arch Enemy always gave me some mixed feelings. I liked that on one hand, but the female vocals there? I don't know. The same feeling I get with Cradle of Filth, where music is perfect, but...yeah, the screams are just awful  :-\

I listen to the occasional metal song and enjoy it, but I really don't get that growling. It almost makes me angry when I hear great music, and then they suddenly spoil it with weird growly vocals, and I start looking for instrumental versions of the song. I know it is a weird attitude, but if they're vocals are not up to par, they really shouldn't ruin their excellent music.
I think I have only ever heard maybe one or two songs where the growling worked with the music.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: Babar on Sat 21/02/2009 12:09:02
Quote from: Oliwerko on Sat 21/02/2009 07:59:20

I listen to the occasional metal song and enjoy it, but I really don't get that growling. It almost makes me angry when I hear great music, and then they suddenly spoil it with weird growly vocals, and I start looking for instrumental versions of the song. I know it is a weird attitude, but if they're vocals are not up to par, they really shouldn't ruin their excellent music.
I think I have only ever heard maybe one or two songs where the growling worked with the music.

But her voice is akin to that of an angel!

;D

Oliwerko

I'm totally with Babar there.

During the last two months or so, I became a huge fan of instrumental music because of this. Of course, most people think instrumental music is not so "breathtaking" or "exciting" because of the lack of any lyrics (which make you kind of "feel" with the song). But I see I'm getting fond of instrumental music more than I was before. (Thumbs up, Jarre, Hammer and Vangelis  8))

Babar

Quote from: Ben304 on Sat 21/02/2009 12:17:00
But her voice is akin to that of an angel!

;D
heh....I was just talking in general about growling. I hadn't seen that video.

But now that I see it, yeah, her voice is like an angel. Those 10 foot tall androgynous Bible angels with big-ass swords.

I AM BATMAN! FEAR ME <cough> <cough>
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

FSi++

Off the northern bands I prefer Burzum, Dark Funeral, Tenhi and Morgul.

In fact I'd like to recommend Tenhi to almost anyone, they're good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5e5udWZTHs

Akatosh

Quote from: Babar on Sat 21/02/2009 12:48:09
But now that I see it, yeah, her voice is like an angel. Those 10 foot tall androgynous Bible angels with big-ass swords.

WHICH ARE ALSO ON FIRE.

Heathen.  :=

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk