My Adventure Game Needs Saving... :(

Started by markbilly, Mon 13/10/2008 00:13:40

Previous topic - Next topic

markbilly

Hi all,

I have been working on and off for the last few years on an adventure game I could call my own. I have spent many nights and lots of paper noting down the main premise of the story, the game world, some characters, etc... I have drawn some backgrounds, and completed the first bit of the game in full in AGS. Minus one walkcycle, and some other animations and interactions.

Unfortunately, it has come to the time now when all I want to do is write the story and script the game. I would love to draw the backgrounds and sprites too, but time has got the better of me (well, I'll confess it is motivation rather than time). I also don't have the skill to draw the backgrounds how I would like them - all too often I am resorting to downloading reference images of the internet and tracing them, before modding the features and adding stuff. OK, so I am exaggerating a little; the backgrounds are basically mine, but I'm not a fan of my own work, and I've made some unwise design decisions that I can only fix by starting again.

The game is a sci-fi adventure, of a serious tone. It explores the idea of scientific advancement, the extension of human life and it's social implications, and legacy. Another complication has risen from this however, in that the story has become increasingly more focused and sophisticated since I started - meaning the game I've started in AGS is growing further away from the vision I am forging on paper.

Anyway, I am posting here for two reasons: I want to share my game with the community, but without declaring it "in production" as, although it is, I'm not sure how this development will proceed. Two, rather shamelessly, I'm asking for help. If anyone is interested in helping me save the project I can send you the game so far - and when it is finished - the story in full.

Here are some screenies!

Full Size Here

P.S. A lot of my characters look like Guybrush or some BASS characters, which illustrates my sprite-ing ability... :D

TwinMoon

You're being a little bit hard on yourself.
Those backgrounds look great, so what if you used reference pics? Have you ever played Pleurgburg? The guy has a square head for god's sake! And it still a great (and serious) game.

(sorry, can't offer help, still learning to draw myself)

Matti

Sorry, no help either... haven't enough time for my own BGs.

But, as Twinmoon said, these backgrounds look very nice. I really like them.

Terrorcell

The characters look quite good aswell. I think you have a great game in the making here.

Ryan Timothy B

I'd have no problems playing it.
There's nothing wrong with the graphics at all.  They have this SNES feel to it.

Also remember, graphics aren't what make a game good.  It's the game play, storyline and the characters.

densming

Nice use of color in the backgrounds.  It really has a sci-fi feel to it; it looks really good.  It seems like you need motivation more than people to help. :-)

Guybrush seems out of place in this setting though :-D

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Is the game far enough along that you could give it some closure and make the second part later?  Sometimes it helps to take these large projects and break them up into separate games (chapters, whatever) so you don't feel overwhelmed.  It also gives you a chance to get feedback on the first game and what people look forward to in the rest of the story.

As far as your backgrounds, I think they look more than decent enough for a freeware game.  As a perfectionist myself, I can only say you have to temper your desire for stunning visuals with the reality that you're not making any income from the game and that, working on it alone, your best chance of finishing it is to scale things down and keep it simple.  Your main character is clearly a Guybrush paintover, but it has a good level of detail to it that shouldn't bother people.  There are things to improve in any project, but just bear in mind you're doing this for free without any compensation and then giving it to people to play. 

If you're really grinding your wheels, I really recommend you try breaking your game up into parts that are more manageable.  It's something I've been doing with Boyd Quest and it helped my productivity to the point where I'm carrying it over to another *project I have almost complete.

*I am being mysterious.

markbilly

Not really, although this is tried, tested and sound advice.

The game isn't massively long, there are two large open areas, the rest is short sequences and dialogue cutscenes. I'm not sure if there would be anyway to split it up, besides ending the first half at the end of the first large area. And I'm a good way from that yet...

I'm really grateful for the encouragement in terms of the graphics. I am aware they are fairly good, and certainly not bad, but I am unhappy with some design choices. For example, the game is in 640x400 resolution. This increases the workload for the graphics, and has made the characters harder to draw and animate... I also went for a black outline approach, which may look quite nice, but again makes the characters a pain.

markbilly

Sorry if the digging up of this old thread is illegal, but just to let people know the project has been revamped entirely:

I've established a far more manageable - and attractive - art style, which means development is coming on a lot quicker now, despite having to basically start over.

Trent R

Oooooo.... Aaaaaaa....

I love it. So the game is in full production now? Excellent

~Trent
PS-Need a scripter? :)
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

markbilly

I can script, and I love doing it too. It's nice to have a break from the pixelling sometimes...

Only thing I'm not great at is dialogue, but that's a post production job, really.

IndieBoy

Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

markbilly

Quote from: IndieBoy on Thu 19/02/2009 20:50:28
You should of waited till sunday

Yeah, but I'm hoping this will be released in the future.

Ubel

Quote from: markbilly on Thu 19/02/2009 20:47:41
Only thing I'm not great at is dialogue, but that's a post production job, really.

Yeah, it's the same thing with movies, dialogue is always written after the movie has been filmed.

Peder 🚀

Wow, I am liking this ;D.
Strange your saying its more managable because I think it looks alot better :P.

Good luck!
And make sure to finish it!

markbilly

Quote from: Peder Johnsen on Thu 19/02/2009 21:32:57
Strange your saying its more managable because I think it looks alot better :P.

Lower resolution, mainly.

Quote from: Pablo on Thu 19/02/2009 21:00:44
Yeah, it's the same thing with movies, dialogue is always written after the movie has been filmed.

"lol"

I meant it can be refined after. It's no good writing it all now, or getting someone to help at this stage. They would be waiting days in between each line they wrote!

Matti

I'm glad you decided not to give up the game. Personally I had prefered the hi-res backgrounds, but as long as it looks good- which it does - than everything's fine. I'm curious how this will turn out.

Ghost

Hmmm, as a low-res fan I can only say: Great new look! Nice to see this one back in the makings!

LUniqueDan

Yeah it's really gorgeous! Don't do like Lucasarts fans, never ever give up!
I'm glad to see this on track again.
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

ThreeOhFour

Looks great!

Good on you for putting in the time and effort to start again, it's clearly paid off :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk