So it's gonna be Obama with a landslide!

Started by jetxl, Thu 23/10/2008 18:34:04

Previous topic - Next topic

jetxl

Since I only watch Comedy Central's Daily Show online and the Liberal media here in europe, it feels like Obama already won. I however dont want to count my chickens untill they are hatched. This is the same country that gave Bush a second term (because his first term was such a succes). The silent majority has not yet spoken.
I'm always interested in hearing who the yanks are going to vote for and why.

Sam.

An ex speech writer for George Bush on the Colbert Report, last night, said "McCain cannot win this Election, but Obama can lose it".

I think that is a fair assesment, there is very little McCain can do to convince America nowadays, at least from this outsiders perspective, but Obama could do lots to tip the scales in the wrong direction.
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Tuomas

But did not the democrats always lead pre-elections and then lose? At least the last 2 times.

Nacho

I think this time the Democrats are too far away for expecting a third "last minute" Republican recovery.

Which is good, because Obama will win, and people complaining about Bush will realise that the alternative is same shit with different smell. Politicians are politicians. If a teenages awakes up one day and says "Hey! I want to be a politician" he can't be good.  :D
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Gregjazz

As long as there isn't the same voter fraud that got Bush in office, I think we're safe to say that Obama has this election.

Disco

Hmm, suppose I'll be voting for him anyways. I voted Gore in 2000 but in 2004 it was more of a vote against Bush than a vote for Kerry, but...

I for one am really looking forward to post-Americanism, hoping the US bankrupts itself eventually with all the inane spending and unwarranted security measures, and something new and different comes out of it. It had it's time in the spotlight just like all of histories major powers that eventually could not sustain themselves.

I'm so tired of it.

markbilly

QuoteBut did not the democrats always lead pre-elections and then lose? At least the last 2 times.

I looked at the polls from across the whole of the Bush-Kerry election, and Bush was ahead for the whole of the last third of the race. McCain's situation isn't even remotely comparable, though I'm sure you weren't meaning to compare it exactly.

McCain really can't come back. The only possibility for McCain is a pretty horrific October surprise that knocks Obama (although I reckon such a thing would knock McCain more), coupled with the polls being massively inaccurate or a poor turnout (both unlikely).

Basically, the only question is whether this will be an Obama landslide.

Darth Mandarb

McCain will be President.  The Electoral College puts who they want in office and I highly doubt they want Obama in there.  They want a rich white-dude in office.

Personally I don't give a shit either way.  No matter who the president is he's still a politician (as Nacho said) and is a liar and a crook and the rest of the world will still complain about him and hate the U.S.  I don't see anything changing there.  What I'd like to see change is the removal of bi-partisanship and/or have the democrats or republicans stop putting up duds as their nominees.  Sadly, this isn't likely to happen.

However ... I see dark times for my country either way.  I see it like this:

Obama wins
We have a no-experience black president.  All the ignorant racist white folks will bitch about the 'ni99er' (censored for you sensitive folk) president and all the ignorant racist black people will be on high horses thinking they're entitled to something because the president is black.

Obama loses
Good lord!!  The country erupted when some low-life druggie (Rodney King) got beat up by some white cops can you just imagine if Obama doesn't win?  Or even worse, he wins the popular vote but the electoral college doesn't vote him in?!?!  It'll be a nightmare!

And I think Obama is very likely to win the popular vote because a lot of white people think it's 'cool' to vote for him 'cause he's black and they can show how un-racist they are (rather than paying attention to what he's saying) and a lot of black people are simply going to vote for him 'cause he's black.

Case in point; listen to this and puke with me

Dangerous ignorance.

Sad times are a'comin'...

Becky

Yes, no one could possibly want to vote for Obama because they genuinely like his policies!  They must all be voting so the tiny spark of conscience in them doesn't feel racist, just this once.

Darth Mandarb

That's not what I said.  Not even close really.

Adamski

QuoteAnd I think Obama is very likely to win the popular vote because a lot of white people think it's 'cool' to vote for him 'cause he's black and they can show how un-racist they are (rather than paying attention to what he's saying) and a lot of black people are simply going to vote for him 'cause he's black.

Which bit didn't you say?

Darth Mandarb

If you want to interpret "a lot of people" as "EVERYbody" then so be it.  I won't get into a pointless debate on semantics.  Bottom line, she insinuated something that I did not say.  I said "a lot of people..." and not "everybody is ..."  I really don't see why this is difficult to comprehend.

SSH

Don't forget that "Obama/Biden presidency landslide" is an anagram of "Osama Bin Laden led presidency bid"

vict0r

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Thu 23/10/2008 22:19:45
If you want to interpret "a lot of people" as "EVERYbody" then so be it.

Well, in that case it's still pretty close.

Also:
QuoteNo matter who the president is he's still a politician (as Nacho said) and is a liar and a crook and the rest of the world will still complain about him and hate the U.S.  I don't see anything changing there.

I know that I, for one would get my hopes up that the majority of U.S. citizens would have come to their senses if Obama would win.. Might be my liberal Norwegian point of view, but I can't even see why the republicans are even a possible contender. Goddamn conservatism.

Adamski

Pointless semantics indeed. Okay. How's this?

Yes, most people wouldn't possibly want to vote for Obama because they genuinely like his policies!  They must all be voting so the tiny spark of conscience in them doesn't feel racist, just this once.

Becky

Well you conveniently didn't mention that any one would consider voting for Obama because they genuinely agree with his political positions, I think that's possibly a big factor in why people might potentially vote for him?

You realise that saying:

Quotea lot of black people are simply going to vote for him 'cause he's black

is the same thing as saying:

Quotea lot of women are simply going to vote for Sarah Palin 'cause she's female

which is a ridiculous statement to make.  You cannot reduce the political agency of a whole sector of society into such black and white terms without coming across as bigoted.  And suggesting that because you said "a lot of people" rather than "every person" somehow removes you from the responsibility of the words you said is a cop out.

PixelPerfect

Disco

You seem to be taking a worst-case-voter-scenario and making it out to be the most important issue with voters Darth. Believe it or not, not everyone votes for people in their same demographic, or does the opposite to not feel racist. It is not compulsory to disclose your vote to anyone.

I could not help but notice that you gave each scenario post-election in almost entirely racial terms, as if the majority of voters are not enlightened enough to operate outside these stereotypes.

The media here does tend to operate in extremes, but that is just television. Many political Bloggers are the same, paranoid people who think they are in a majority just because radical views are most of what is on television :P

markbilly

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Thu 23/10/2008 21:47:02
No matter who the president is he's still a politician

What I'd like to see change is the removal of bi-partisanship

OK, just highlighted those two comments.

1. If you want a country to improve, you have to get involved in politics - you can't just discount it. Unfortunately, politicians will always get flack for their job title. Just watch them and listen to them and make your mind up, instead of discounting everyone pointlessly with "well, all of them are dirty politicians".

2. Only having two parties has already dissolved democracy, not having any room for stark disagreement between those two would only dissolve it further.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk