blue cup games

Started by lovesgames, Wed 07/01/2009 21:19:47

Previous topic - Next topic

lovesgames

I just downloaded a game to try it out. It won't run. I see it has a .rar extention. Do I need to download a program to make it work? If so, what program ???

Nickydude

A .rar file is a single file that has a lot of other files packed into it to make is smaller, you'll need WinRAR to 'unpack' it.
Best Regards,
Nickydude
www.madladdesigns.co.uk

AGS Beginner's Guide - All you'll ever need!

Dataflashsabot

or better, 7zip- no registering needed!

AGA

You don't actually need to register WinRAR at all either. It just nags you indefinitely. I've been using it for years without paying for it :)

Dataflashsabot

Meh, i prefer 7-zip. but whatever.

Trent R

Quote from: AGA on Thu 08/01/2009 09:40:19
You don't actually need to register WinRAR at all either. It just nags you indefinitely. I've been using it for years without paying for it :)
That's what I've been doing. And most of the time I just right click the file in explorer and choose "Unpack to..."

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

Mr Flibble

I do feel a little bad about not paying for WinRar considering how much I use it, and how much I appreciate them not -asking- me to pay for it.
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

OneDollar

WinRAR - Trial, illegal after 30 days, keeps asking you to register.
7Zip - Free, open source, handles the same extensions.

Pretty easy choice in my opinion

Gilbert

Also, the "fancy" blocky interface of those WinXXX programmes are stupid, so I won't return when 7-Zip appears (before using 7-Zip I didn't use WinZIP, WinACE or WinRAR either. I used Power Archiver, when it was still completely free).

Unfortunately, in some rare cases there are RAR files that 7-Zip cannot handle (possibly compressed with some WinRAR options that are not supported by 7-Zip yet). In such case I usually install WinRAR (unchecking ALL options like "associate file extensions" during installation to prevent it from messing up my system), decompress the files and then uninstall WinRAR immediately to get rid of it.

It's all the user's own preference and choice though. If you do like those "fancy" interfaces and do not mind annoying nag screens (or have the $$$ to spare to register something) there is nothing wrong in choosing WinRAR.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk