AGS 3.1 now available!

Started by Pumaman, Tue 04/11/2008 15:18:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Lt. Smash

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 09/11/2008 15:48:03
Are you saying that this Call Stack window doesn't appear
It seems that it doesn't appear when the project tree is on the left side.

Yes, this is something I'd like to do -- however it would require significant changes to the script compiler and interpreter, and is a very big job that I haven't had time to do yet.
would be cool to see this in  the next beta.

Trent R

Search focus- I don't always want to search the same thing, so sometimes F3 is useful, sometimes it's not. But it's minor.

Variable Debugging-OMG I'd love to have this feature. I'd rather forego all other suggestions to implement this. (Including my stupid search request)

Intellisense- When does this get compiled to use? I've tried to figure it out (Save, F5, etc) but so far I'm not seeing a pattern. But I'm also an idiot, so who knows?

~Trent
PS-Your infiniteloop function made me laugh out loud.
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

DoorKnobHandle

Small glitch: the auto-complete seems to get confused for elements that begin with an underscore - other signs might affect the behavior as well, didn't check.

Assume:
Code: ags

struct TObject
{
      int _life;
      int life;
};

Now, when you type:

Code: ags

TObject test;

test.

...the list will pop up and list both elements correctly, but when you start typing the _life element, it will not select the right one, it won't complete the element at all.

densming

Is there a way to disable the "automatic space after comma" functionality in the script editor (so that when I type a comma it won't automatically insert a space immediately afterward)?  It seems like this used to be an option in previous versions but I can't find it anymore.

DoorKnobHandle

In addition to densming's suggestion, I would be for a simple boolean option that can be set via the AGS options with a checkbox switching AGS's "meddling" with keyboard input at all. What this means is, if switched off, the editor would no longer add the spaces after commas and it wouldn't move the closing brackets } left one tab-space automatically (that still irritates me), so it would be all like typing in Notepad. And by default it could stay on for all users who know and love these functions.

Ishmael

I second the option to disable AGS automatically formating my script for me. Since AGS is not the only thing I code in and no other editor does this for me it's a bit of work to have to remove spaces and move the braces around all the time.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Pumaman

QuoteIt seems that it doesn't appear when the project tree is on the left side.

Ah well spotted thanks, I'll get that fixed.

QuoteVariable Debugging-OMG I'd love to have this feature.

I'd love to have it too. But as I said, it's a *big* job and something that I'll probably just roll into the rewrite of the script compiler, whenever I finally get around to doing that.

QuoteIntellisense- When does this get compiled to use? I've tried to figure it out (Save, F5, etc) but so far I'm not seeing a pattern. But I'm also an idiot, so who knows?

The contents of the header files (.ASH) are updated in intellisense whenever you save or run the game.
Local variables within a .ASC file are only updated in intellisense when you open the script, and then when you switch to another tab and then switch back.

Quotethe auto-complete seems to get confused for elements that begin with an underscore

Yeah I've noticed this before, I should really get round to looking into it. It's quite minor though, everything works except it won't automatically highlight the entry in autocomplete if it has an underscore.

QuoteIs there a way to disable the "automatic space after comma" functionality in the script editor (so that when I type a comma it won't automatically insert a space immediately afterward)?
QuoteWhat this means is, if switched off, the editor would no longer add the spaces after commas and it wouldn't move the closing brackets } left one tab-space automatically (that still irritates me), so it would be all like typing in Notepad. And by default it could stay on for all users who know and love these functions.

These are reasonable suggestions, I'll look into them. However I will be changing the behaviour of the } handling, because the way it works at the moment is quite annoying.

Trent R

Excellent, thanks for the reply!
~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

DarkRiver Design

I may be a novice, but the removal of the event editor has rendered this totally usesless to me. This program has officially moved beyond the realm of an accessible, user-friendly game creation tool. It was just as powerful before, why remove the accessible parts? Just for spiteful elitism?

Khris

This was discussed a long time ago; afaik the interaction editor was removed because it was way too limited, and the time it would take CJ to extend and maintain it is better spent working on improvements of the engine.
You can always stick to 2.72.

I wouldn't call it elitism at all; scripting isn't rocket science, especially not if you're only going to use the script equivalents of IE commands. Give it a try.

DarkRiver Design

I'm sure it was discussed. I'm not trying to rehash, but I don't frequent this forum. Anyway, it's not a big problem -- 2.72 is still more powerful than I'm capable of taking advantage of. Just wish I could take advantage of that extra resolution while, you know... actually being able to do something with no scripting knowledge.

Ishmael

The basics shouldn't be too hard to grasp. As said, AGS is not for everyone. If you can't get a hold of the simplest things of the scripting language with the tutorial and some examples, makes me wonder if you're the type to actually put a game together...

'Scuse my elitism, but I still find it hard to accept people could be so stupid or helpless not to even try. No offence intended; on the contrary.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

DarkRiver Design

None taken. I'm sure by-and-large that you're right. You're certainly right that it's not for everyone, but now it's just for even less people.

Pumaman

This has been discussed at length so I don't want to go over it again, but basically the problem with the interaction editor was that it lulled people into a false sense of security by allowing you to do very simple commands quite easily, but as soon as you needed to do something that wasn't on the predefined list you'd need to script it anyway. That then became very scary and off-putting since you'd managed to make the game so far without scripting and so wouldn't know how to take the next step.

QuoteIt was just as powerful before, why remove the accessible parts? Just for spiteful elitism?

I think that's rather un-called for. It's not a matter of deliberately going in and spitefully removing the interaction editor; rather, since the editor was completely re-written from scratch it was a matter of not spending an extra 3+ months of development time re-implementing the interaction editor.

It may resurface one day as some form of automatic script generator, but there would need to be some evidence that people were following the text and video tutorials and still not being able to grasp simple scripting commands, before that happened.

.M.M.

Should it be possible to get resolution options back in the game setup? I use font for 640x400 in 320x200 game and the work only with second option (bigger resolution) chosed, option 2x nearest - neighbour filter does not work, too.

Pumaman

Quote from: Mirek on Wed 19/11/2008 19:30:10
Should it be possible to get resolution options back in the game setup? I use font for 640x400 in 320x200 game and the work only with second option (bigger resolution) chosed, option 2x nearest - neighbour filter does not work, too.

Sorry, no. This "hack" of using a 640x400 font in a 320x200 game is no longer supported. If your game relies on it, then I suggest you stick with AGS 3.0.2 SP1.

Ryan Timothy B

I'm using AGS 3.1.  I quickly scrolled through the 3.1.1 thread to see if there were any fixes for this (since I haven't upgraded yet).
I noticed quite often in my current game-in-production that when I play audio several times over, the game seems to hold a segment of audio and replays it over and over.

Lets explain this a little better..  My car in my racing game, when it crashes into a wall/etc I play a sound.  Using PlaySoundEx so I can control my audio (since I'm using up all the channels as is).  Whenever I crash into a wall I check to see if the channel is playing still, then stop the channel, then play the crashing sound (since that channel is also used for braking).

Well for some odd reason a segment of the crashing sound will be played over and over as though it is an ambient sound playing only a segment of the crashing audio.  But usually only if I'm repetitively playing the crash sound.

Whenever I call up the script to do this back-to-back:
  SetDigitalMasterVolume(0);
  SetDigitalMasterVolume(100);
The problem goes away.

EDIT:  Oh and the audio clip is less than 0.2 seconds.  I'll try adding a large section of silence after the 0.2 seconds of audio.

AGAIN:  Look at that.  I added 0.8 seconds of silence to the end of the audio clip making it a whole 1 second long.  And VOILA!  I crashed the car into a wall more than 300 times and nothing happened.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Yes, the ags sound routines do have a problem with really brief sound clips, and it's something I've mentioned to CJ before.  Adding some silence to the problem effects seems to solve the issue (including when they don't play at all).

Ryan Timothy B

Hmm.. I'm actually testing my game right now to see if all the walls are collision proof, and sadly, I've still encountered the audio segment looping just recently.  I'll try adding another second of silence and doubling any other small length looping ambient sounds I have (just in case it's the other short sounds that are causing it.  but it only happens with the one crashing sound.  And I don't believe it's corrupt in anyway, they are all OGG's too.  :-\).

Pumaman

Sounds that are less than a second can sometimes cause problems, but this usually involves them not playing at all rather than looping. Can you post a sound file that has this problem?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk