AGS 3.1 now available!

Started by Pumaman, Tue 04/11/2008 15:18:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

It gives me great pleasure to announce the release of AGS 3.1.

Changes since the "3.1 Final" release in the beta thread:
* Fixed crash opening game in editor if there was an empty struct in a script
* Fixed background to dialog options being wiped away by mouse cursor in 8-bit games

Changes since 3.0.2 SP1:
* Added option to use native hi-res co-ordinates.
* Added option to continue running game loops while dialog options are displayed
* Added support for 1024x768 resolution.
* Added support for custom rendering of dialog options
* Added graphics filters to D3D driver, to allow 320x200 games to easily be run in a larger window.
* Added 4x Nearest Neighbour filter to allow 320x200 games to easily be run on widescreen monitors at 1280x800
* Added "Go to sprite" context menu option to script editor when right-clicking on a number
* Added Character.HasInventory, Character.HasExplicitTint, Character.Move, Character.SpeakingFrame, String.Replace, String.StartsWith, String.EndsWith, Game.ChangeTranslation, Game.UseNativeCoordinates, Dialog.ID, TextBox.TextColor, Slider.HandleGraphic, Slider.HandleOffset, Slider.BackgroundGraphic and Parser.FindWordID script functions.
* Added pop-up calltip when hovering the mouse over a function/property in the script.
* Added separate Replace menu option to go straight to the Replace dialog
* Added previous searches list and Case Sensitive option to the Find dialog
* Added Preferences option to configure whether Help window stays on top or not.
* Room objects editor now draws alpha-channel sprites correctly
* When the engine aborts with an error, the editor will now automatically zoom to the line in the script where the error occurred
* Editor now shows the call stack to the current position in the script when debugging
* Improved autocomplete to work better when adding code to existing functions
* Rewrote debugger to use a different method of communicating with the engine (Named pipes instead of Files) which should hopefully resolve some stability issues some people have been having with it
* Added support for calltip help text if you put a comment starting with /// on the line before the import declaration.
* Added feature for editor to send anonymous system information to AGS website
* Added editor plugin API IScriptEditorControl methods: SelectionStart, SelectionEnd, SelectedText, CursorPosition, GetLineNumberForPosition, GetTextForLine and GetTypeNameAtCursor
* Added new GUI Visibility option to have a normal GUI but initially switched off.
* Added ability to set initial GUI Transparency in the editor.
* Added Tip of the Day section to the Start Page.
* Added new file format for exported characters to enable characters with more than 20 frames in a loop or 16 loops in a view to be exported; this also fixes some character settings not being preserved in the old file format.
* Added Preferences option to allow you to do Exact Palette background imports in 8-bit games, like you could in AGS 2.x
* Added warning message when you use the Import New Background option in a room, to help newbies who are using it by accident instead of the Change button.
* Added option for AGS Editor to pop up a message every X days reminding you to back up your game
* GUI Text Box now allows the user to type in extended chars like éíñ when the textbox is using a TTF font
* D3D driver now automatically tries 640x400 if your monitor doesn't support 320x200, like the DX5 driver already did
* Removed Setup option to use the "wrong" resolution.
* Changed winsetup so that it doesn't pop up the Administrator prompt on Vista.
* RunAGSGame now shows an error if you try and use it while running with the debugger, since it doesn't work in this situation
* Moved the inventory hotspot marker settings from the inventory panes to the General Settings area since it makes more sense there and should reduce confusion
* Removed the room height limit of 1400 pixels.
* Removed the 30 character limit on hotspot descriptions
* Obsoleted InventoryScreen command, which is no longer supported.
* Editor now prompts you if you modify a script file in an external application while it is open in the editor
* On Windows XP and earlier, AGS will now create a "My Saved Games" folder in My Documents and then create individual game folders underneath, to avoid clutter
* When clicking the "..." button to go to an event script, AGS will now zoom to the line after the { rather than the "function" line itself
* Renamed String.Contains to String.IndexOf to reduce confusion with other languages such as Java and C#. String.Contains will continue to work as well for the foreseeable future
* Removed obsolete InventoryScreen usage from the Default & Empty Game templates
* Improved import of 2.72 games to ensure that unhandled_event is called with Use Inventory interactions
* Changed Default and Empty Game templates to 16-bit colour by default
* Changed error message when unable to initialise graphics mode to say the real resolution rather than game resolution when using a graphics filter
* Editor now gives error if speech file number > 9999 rather than leading to in-game File Not Found errors
* Fixed alpha-transparent dynamic sprites losing their alpha channel when you restored a save game
* Fixed object image not being refreshed properly if it had a dynamic sprite which you deleted at the same time as making the object invisible
* Fixed autocomplete popping up when it shouldn't do if you pressed space after typing a member property/function
* Fixed problem with Mouse.SaveCursorUntilItLeaves if the original mode was now disabled when it tried to restore it
* Fixed error starting up editor if you closed it while minimized
* Fixed dialog options text window edges with transparent parts not drawing correctly with D3D driver
* Fixed crash restoring save game if there was an active dynamic drawing surface created by CreateCopy
* Fixed Mouse.DisableMode crashing if cursor mode 4 (UseInv) was set as a Standard mode
* Fixed some music skipping problems when using ShakeScreen and during room transitions
* Fixed translations not working on script lines that had embedded speech marks
* Fixed GUI editor to not draw the background colour outside the actual GUI size
* Fixed error trying to save a game to a network share
* Fixed sound numbers over 999 not playing
* Fixed D3D driver smoothing all sprites, not just scaled ones, when "Smooth scaled sprites" was selected
* Fixed problem where if you closed a window and chose not to save changes, when you opened the window again the changes were still there
* Fixed script changes being lost if you opened a room script, made some changes, didn't save them, then opened the room itself, then created an event handler
* Fixed sprite import colours messing up if there were index-0 pixels on the image but index 0 was not being imported as the transparent colour
* Fixed Display() not working if the game had no GUIs
* Fixed changes to blink interval not always being applied immediately
* Fixed crash in Character.Say if the character's talking view had been set to an invalid view number
* Fixed PlayVideo restarting the music after the video finished, even if it was set to play game music
* Fixed the debug console being drawn behind characters and objects
* Fixed duplicate entries in autocomplete if you set an enum value to equal another enum value
* Fixed ListBox.RowCount always returning 0 until the GUI had been drawn for the first time
* Fixed Characters pane chopping off bottom of view preview when run at 120 DPI

Grab it from the download page!
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk

Trent R

Yay!!!! Absolutely love it CJ!!

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

Dualnames

Yay, yay, as for the blue screen of death, yep it's media manager..ANYWAY glad this is final..
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

edmundito

Man, I hope you don't mean that media manager I wrote years ago that only worked on my computer. ¬¬
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

TheMagician

CJ, thank you so much for your hard work on this editor. It was and is a source of inspiration in my life and it only keeps getting better and better.

Rocco

Totally agree.
To see how much effort and work are you putting in AGS, is a great motivation.
Specially if the working on a game stucks on some points.

Big Thx, CJ.  :)

edmundito

Quote from: Dualnames on Wed 05/11/2008 11:14:35
I don't know if you wrote it..

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=32937.0

I'm talking about this one.

Nope, but I tried something similar years ago under the same name:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=19045.0

I didn't know there was a new one! that's cool!

abstauber

Even if I feel a bit hypocritical, posting here again after such a long time... Thanks a lot for this great release. I really really like the 3.x branch of AGS!

Electroshokker

Great job! On to AGS 3.2 it is!  ;D

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 05/02/2007 21:42:22
"break" can be simulated as monkey_05_06 has demonstrated (though I would like to add support for it in future).
"switch" can be simulated by using "else if"s (thoug again, I agree it's not as nice and it would be good to add switch support in future.

I can't say how many times I wanted to use a switch in my code. (I mean, all the if's and else if's are ugly and make the code unclear and bulky.)

Pretty please with sugar on top look into this for the next version! Thanks!  :=

Pumaman

Glad you guys are enjoying the new version :)

I've now uploaded it to the website, and if no issues are found in a couple of days I'll set the Check For Updates feature to recognise it and send out the e-mail.

QuoteI can't say how many times I wanted to use a switch in my code. (I mean, all the if's and else if's are ugly and make the code unclear and bulky.)

Pretty please with sugar on top look into this for the next version! Thanks

No promises I'm afraid -- I appreciate that not having it is a bit messy, but it's not top of my priority list at the moment.

edmundito

Code: ags

switch (Pumaman.Status) {
case eBusy:
     Frown();
     break;
default:
     RequestSwitchFeature();
}

Lt. Smash

I got this error while testing my game in debug mode:

Error: The length cannot be smaller than 0 (null).
Paramname: length
Version: AGS 3.1.0.60

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: The length cannot be smaller than 0 (null).
   at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy)
   at AGS.Editor.DebugController.ParseCallStackIntoObjectForm(String callStackFromEngine, String errorMessage)
   at AGS.Editor.DebugController._communicator_MessageReceived(XmlDocument doc)
   at AGS.Editor.NamedPipesEngineCommunication.MessageSenderThread()
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

What cause this error: It seems that I was running my code into something like a loop. Function A calls Function B. Function B calls Function C. C calls A. A -> B....
What could the errormsg mean: Shouldn't the callstack open? Instead I got this error message and when closing it AGS hung up.

Question: Where can I see the call stack? When I get an error message, it says at the bottom check the call stack.

Trent R

Where can I delete the search history? I have stupid things in there such as "on_ev", figuring I could delete them by pressing the delete key while selecting from the pull-down.

I assume that it's stored somewhere in the install folder... right?

~Trent

Another thing I noticed. I have high-res coordinates in scripts turned on. When I use FaceLocation, the ~box shows high-res, but Walk and WalkStraight shows low-res (Start move to x, y). I don't know about other functions, as I've only used these two so far.

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Pumaman

Quote from: Lt. Smash on Sat 08/11/2008 19:36:11
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: The length cannot be smaller than 0 (null).
   at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy)
What could the errormsg mean: Shouldn't the callstack open? Instead I got this error message and when closing it AGS hung up.

Ah... I can reproduce this error if the call stack has more than 5 functions in it. I'll look into a fix.

Question: Where can I see the call stack? When I get an error message, it says at the bottom check the call stack.

A new window should open at the bottom of the editor with the call stack in it. However, if it's crashing with that error that you just posted, this probably isn't happening as a result.

QuoteWhere can I delete the search history? I have stupid things in there such as "on_ev", figuring I could delete them by pressing the delete key while selecting from the pull-down.

You can't delete entries from the search history, however it will only remember the most recent 20 so it won't go on adding entries forever. I strongly recommend that you just leave it... if for some reason you really have to delete those entries, you'll need to dive into the registry which I wouldn't recommend.

QuoteAnother thing I noticed. I have high-res coordinates in scripts turned on. When I use FaceLocation, the ~box shows high-res, but Walk and WalkStraight shows low-res (Start move to x, y). I don't know about other functions, as I've only used these two so far.

Thanks for the report. The Debug Console hasn't had much love recently so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit dodgy, I'll take a look.

Trent R

Search entries: It keeps 20 entries? I didn't figure that out, I just noticed that it was keeping some of my 'pointless' searches. Thanks for the reply.

Debug Console: Ya it's old, and as soon as Dualnames can upload it I hope to be using the Console2b module instead. But right now I'm coding my battle system and I show the console as an extra tool. It doesn't get in the way for me, so I just leave it there.

~Trent
PS-One thing that annoys me with the new search is that focus priority goes to it when it's visible. I'd like to be able to search, and then click the script and edit it--while leaving the search still open to search for the next thing.

rbaleksandar

First - thanks a lot! :)

Like the new things added to AGS :)
Second - I have question, that may sound dull, but anyway I am going to ask it  ;D
How can we upgrade AGS without uninstalling the previous version. And one more thing. I opened AGS this morning, with the thought of continuing my project. Then I decided to make a short visit on the website just to see that a new version is available. So with AGS running (stupid I know, but I forgot to turn it off) I uninstalled it. Well surprisingly it uninstalled some things...But AGS was still running and no warning message occurred. The main application was still standing in the installation folder after uninstalling it along with other files like the NativeCompiler.dll (Demo game was missing) How is it possible to uninstall a running application, to get it uninstalled and there it is still running and kicking  ???

PS: How do you get the blue screen of death from the media manager? I don't have problems with it and AGS 3.1 ...  ::)
I am a mighty pirate. Arrrrgh!

Lt. Smash

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 09/11/2008 00:28:13

A new window should open at the bottom of the editor with the call stack in it. However, if it's crashing with that error that you just posted, this probably isn't happening as a result.
Now I changed my code a bit and got a normal error (with that 'I've finished examining the error'-button):
Error running function '...':
Error: Script appears to be hung (a while loop ran 150001 times). 
The problem may be in a calling function; check the call stack.

But there is no call stack. I haven't ever saw something like that in AGS. (I'm running the editor on a 1680x1050 display.)

Lt. Smash

Debug feature request:
It would be really useful for debugging if we could see the content of specific/all variables.
There would be a list with the current stored variables and their values.
At the moment I have to put a Display command everywhere when the content gets changed, to see where the error could be.
The list would have an ideal place where the normal output window normally is.

Pumaman

QuotePS-One thing that annoys me with the new search is that focus priority goes to it when it's visible. I'd like to be able to search, and then click the script and edit it--while leaving the search still open to search for the next thing.

Well, you can close the window, edit the script, and then just press F3 to find the next match...

QuoteHow can we upgrade AGS without uninstalling the previous version. And one more thing. I opened AGS this morning, with the thought of continuing my project. Then I decided to make a short visit on the website just to see that a new version is available. So with AGS running (stupid I know, but I forgot to turn it off) I uninstalled it. Well surprisingly it uninstalled some things...But AGS was still running and no warning message occurred.

You don't need to uninstall the old version of AGS first. You can have both versions installed at the same time if you want.

As for uninstalling while it's still in use ... looks like a quirk with the installer, I'll see if there's anything I can do to prevent that.

QuoteHow do you get the blue screen of death from the media manager? I don't have problems with it and AGS 3.1 ... 

It sounded like Dualnames' problem was related to some sort of driver that he has installed, it's not a general problem with the Media Manager plugin.

QuoteNow I changed my code a bit and got a normal error (with that 'I've finished examining the error'-button):
But there is no call stack. I haven't ever saw something like that in AGS.

Are you saying that this Call Stack window doesn't appear:

QuoteDebug feature request:
It would be really useful for debugging if we could see the content of specific/all variables.
There would be a list with the current stored variables and their values.

Yes, this is something I'd like to do -- however it would require significant changes to the script compiler and interpreter, and is a very big job that I haven't had time to do yet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk