Chronicles of Captain Cringe

Started by Montague, Tue 11/11/2008 23:15:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Montague

Chronicles of Captain Cringe

This is a very short game about an unsung hero who walks around helping people in need without asking anything - hardly anything - in return. It features (slight) violence against children and jokes that should be considered offensive on account of being very bad.

Game page
Download

Shouldn't take you very long to finish. Hope you enjoy it! :)

-Montague
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.

rbaleksandar

I am a mighty pirate. Arrrrgh!

Leon

Congrats!
Another cool game. Graphics again perfect, humor enough and great puzzles.

[update]
Found a small bug..
Spoiler
Using the rock (which has no mouse-over) on the cigarettes make the mouse pointer disappear leaving the game unplayable..
[close]
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Montague

Quote from: Leon on Wed 12/11/2008 00:51:49
Congrats!
Another cool game. Graphics again perfect, humor enough and great puzzles.

[update]
Found a small bug..
Spoiler
Using the rock (which has no mouse-over) on the cigarettes make the mouse pointer disappear leaving the game unplayable..
[close]
Ah, seems I've performed the old animate-repeat-block-trick. Thanks for letting me know, it's fixed now.

- Montague

Potch

The download link isn't working for me. :-(

Edit: Nevermind.  It worked.  :-\
The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ghost

Quote from: Montague on Tue 11/11/2008 23:15:56
Shouldn't take you very long to finish. Hope you enjoy it! :)

It didn't. I did.

Nice game all round, thanks for that!

Potch

Nice little game.  I had a hard time with some of the puzzles because I just wasn't thinking in that direction, but it was pretty funny once I figured it out. 

I did find a bug though. 

Spoiler
  I was standing close to the mother.  I clicked the cd on the girl before knocking her out, and my guy put the cd on the floor in front of the mother.  After that, the cursor wouldn't recognize it, and the kid wouldn't walk that far to stand on it, so I had to restart.  :( Also, it took me forever to realize that I could pick up the rocks outside, because there was no description when the cursor was on them.
[close]
The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

Montague

Quote from: Potch on Fri 14/11/2008 16:53:09
Nice little game.  I had a hard time with some of the puzzles because I just wasn't thinking in that direction, but it was pretty funny once I figured it out. 

I did find a bug though. 

Spoiler
  I was standing close to the mother.  I clicked the cd on the girl before knocking her out, and my guy put the cd on the floor in front of the mother.  After that, the cursor wouldn't recognize it, and the kid wouldn't walk that far to stand on it, so I had to restart.  :( Also, it took me forever to realize that I could pick up the rocks outside, because there was no description when the cursor was on them.
[close]
The first one is weird.
Spoiler
He puts the CD down wherever he's standing when you use it with the walkable area, it's got nothing to do with the girl. The CD is then a character which he should be able to interact with regardless of where he is. Did some object or character block it completely?
[close]
The second is an oversight.

Potch

Spoiler
Yes!  Actually, the chair was blocking it.
[close]

I hope you don't think I was picking on your game, because I really did enjoy it!

jrp

It was a bit confusing for me at first, but eventually got the hang of it. Though I have to admit I solved the crying girl, and the mother's puzzles by complete accident. I guess it was because (and here comes my constructive criticism) there were too few things to do in the game: too few inventory items, too few hotspots, etc. The game world had just what was needed for the puzzles, and little more, so randomly clicking around was a viable alternative.

Leon

Which makes it also playable for non-native English speaking people, since the puzzles are mainly based on the language.
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

saluk

Except for the last puzzle, which I doubt I would have ever found on purpose, this was a very enjoyable game.  I liked and hated the abstract nature of the puzzles, pretty much for the same reasons.  I thought the thing with the dad was a bug for half the game until I realized it was a joke, lol.  A bad joke at that.  In fact I cant think of any jokes in the game that were any good.  But you knew that already.  This game is well named!

Montague

Potch: Glad to hear that.

jrp: Fair enough, but the puzzles are more like little jokes rather than brain-teasers. The game was quick to make and it's supposed to be quick to play :)

Leon: lol

saluk: Yeah, the jokes are pretty bad. You should see the ones I scrapped, heh :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk