Background Blitz - Nov.25 - Dec.07 - Trapped - (WINNERS announced)

Started by Geratuza, Tue 25/11/2008 11:44:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Geratuza

THEME: Trapped
SIZE RESTRICTIONS: none
PALETTE RESTRICTIONS: none

---catagories---
IDEA
ATMOSPHERE
COMPOSITION
TECHNIQUE
FUNCTIONALITY

As there were no entries in the last background blitz - here's a new topic.

abstauber

Hey!
I'll take the curse off of this thread and enter.

Size: 320x200
Colors: 1

Happy holidays ;)

Daniel Thomas

yea, I have also started doing some sketching, I wont promise Ill be finnished to sunday, but I think I will have something to show.
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

Babar

A while after I started, I realised that there isn't all that much I can add to the background aside from the main idea. So apologies for the rather plain entry.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

abstauber

Yay, finished this much earlier than I thought (pls scroll up). Just imagine falling snow and animated smoke.

Nikolas

abstauber: I would gladly play a game with such graphics. What say you start one? :)

abstauber

Already did ;D
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=35304.0

That game hopefully will contain monochromatic backgrounds (as part of a parallel world), though it doesn't take place in the winter.

Daniel Thomas

Save the trapped Princess - knight attraction!

The dream for all the knights climbing up their profession ladder.
Buy a ticket and you will have the opportunity to rescue the trapped princess from the tower. But be aware of the dragon!

My idea was the principle of an roller coaster or something where you buy the ticket and take the ride, but instead you buy a ticket and get to rescue the princess(if you manage to) who has been trapped in the tower. You would of course need to turn her back so the next knight can have a try.
The setting/mood is kinda unmotivated, it was just from a Thomas Cole painting which I wanted to try. It was done in two days.

Trent R

Freakin' speachless. I so want to see your WIP.

Which isn't to say I don't love the others and their connection to the theme.

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

Daniel Thomas

Thanks Trent, here's a wip of the images I had saved: (sorry for the size, imageshack kept rescaling my image) :(

PixelPerfect

Awesome work zyndikate as always. I'm blown away everytime you post something. You should be working somewhere with six figures. Are you? 'Coz you should. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah I wanted to comment babar's work which reminds me "another world". Pretty cool background although simplistic.

Daniel Thomas

Thanks for the comments. If its a serious question, I still study :>
Hunter S Thompson, cant say I heard of him - why do you ask, was it a quote from him? :>

Babar

IDEA: abstauber
ATMOSPHERE: abstauber
COMPOSITION: zyndicate
TECHNIQUE: zyndicate
FUNCTIONALITY: abstauber

And also...I really appreciate the compliment, PixelPerfect...Another World had some incredibly awesome art.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Neil Dnuma

Idea: Zyndikate
Atmosphere: Zyndikate
Composition: Zyndikate
Technique: Zyndikate
Functionality: Zyndikate

There used to be a design category too, where did that one go?

Anyways, I think all three BG's were good, but in all honesty,and IMO; zynd was ahead in all categories.

Snarky

Idea: abstauber (I kind of have a rule against skeletons and dead bodies, mainly because I find myself resorting to them way too often.)
Atmosphere: abstauber
Composition: abstauber (I am not entirely thrilled with the colors in zyndikate's entry, which is otherwise very well composed)
Technique: zyndikate
Functionality: zyndikate (though Babar's is good too)

I didn't actually realize that Babar's tunnel was flooded until just now. That makes me like the idea more, but that it wasn't obvious pulls down my rating of the execution. It also makes the functionality more tricky.

Geratuza

Idea: Babar (goes along with the atmosphere)
Atmosphere: Babar (just the feeling)
Composition: Zyndikate (everything is at its place, yet it doesnt look fake or artificial)
Technique: Zyndikate (although I really like that of abstauber's image, too)
Functionality: Zyndikate (wide walking-area; good (character) scaling; a lot of space for objectinteraction)

IndieBoy

Idea: Babar
Atmosphere: abstauber
Composition: Babar
Technique: zyndikate
Functionality: Babar
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk