MODULE: CustomDialogGui 1.9

Started by abstauber, Sun 14/12/2008 16:03:36

Previous topic - Next topic

abstauber

Does your game crash with any dialog or just a certain one? And if so, is there anything special about it, like a special char?
Or does the game still crash, if you replace that dialog?

I'm just wondering because line 103 in my module is empty and line 104 counts the numbers of options... maybe it's the best to wait for CJs analysis.

Dualnames

Cj, Leon has kept the dump file, since he reported it. There's this thing abstauber, I managed to reproduce it, If you load the game and or save the game (opening the save and load gui doesn't affect it) and then try to run the dialog, the game crashes. It crashes with two dialogs (that's the total number of them). There's not a special char inside it, when the game's about to start the dialog makes a small pause and crashes.

Edit: The line is 109. ( I updated (in case I haven't) to the newest version, and it still occurs).
        I'm using AGS 3.1.1 (just saying)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Pumaman

Well, is it only Leon that has this problem, or do you get it too? If so, can you upload the game so that we can investigate?

abstauber

Hey, I can crash the sample game too  :)

Code: ags

// Fill GUI Background
  if (CDG.bg_img==0) info.Surface.Clear(CDG.bg_color);
  else info.Surface.DrawImage(0, 0, CDG.bg_img, CDG.bg_img_transparency);

As you've already mentioned, it crashed after the game is beeing loaded. But it only occurs, if a background image has been used.

So it doesn't crash if CDG.bg_img is set to 0 and stays 0. But as soon as DrawImage is involved, the games crashes after being loaded.

@Dualnames:
In order to get rid of this showstopper, I'd suggest, you go on without a background image until this bug gets ironed out.

@CJ
Here's a crashdump (pls. remove the .doc)
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/CrashInfo.3.11.1056.dmp.doc

update
It doesn't seem to crash in AGS 3.1.2(R2) anymore... hmm... or a least I can't get it to crash.

Pumaman

Hmm, how did you make it crash? I tried loading the sample game with 3.1.1 and running it, but it seemed to work fine both before and activating the device.

Did you have to make any changes to the sample game to get it to crash?

abstauber

Hmm.. as I said, unfortunately I can't reproduce it anymore  :-\

What I did to make it crash:
1) Talk to Roger
2) Exit the dialog
3) Activate the device
3) Save the Game
4) Quit the Game
5) Run the .exe again
6) Load the game
7) Talk to Roger and vóila..

I've used the same version that I've uploaded here as well without any changes, but still it just doesn't want to crash again.

btw. I'm on vacation for the next 2 weeks, not that you think I don't care anymore ;)

Knoodn

is it possible to use an alpha blended GUI for dialogs? it doesn't work for me. there are only pink pixels instead of transparent ones.

Dualnames

Has the Bug been fixed for AGS3.1.2+ Versions?

EDIT:Actually no. If you start any custom dialog gui dialog then restore a game and try to run a new one the same error appears.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Pumaman

Quote from: Knoodn on Wed 11/02/2009 22:10:21
is it possible to use an alpha blended GUI for dialogs? it doesn't work for me. there are only pink pixels instead of transparent ones.

Currently this is not supported, however I will consider adding it for a future version of AGS.

QuoteHas the Bug been fixed for AGS3.1.2+ Versions?

EDIT:Actually no. If you start any custom dialog gui dialog then restore a game and try to run a new one the same error appears.

I still can't reproduce this following abstauber's steps, it works fine for me with 3.1.1 and 3.1.2.

Dualnames, could you upload the crash dump file from when it crashes with 3.1.2?

Dualnames

QuoteHas the Bug been fixed for AGS3.1.2+ Versions?
I still can't reproduce this following abstauber's steps, it works fine for me with 3.1.1 and 3.1.2.

Dualnames, could you upload the crash dump file from when it crashes with 3.1.2?

Sure, no trouble.
Crash dmp

Pumaman

Thanks. With the help of that crash dump I think I've narrowed down the problem, though I still can't reproduce it myself. Can you please try this new acwin:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/acwin.zip

and see if that solves the problem?

Dualnames

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 15/02/2009 14:08:50
Thanks. With the help of that crash dump I think I've narrowed down the problem, though I still can't reproduce it myself. Can you please try this new acwin:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/acwin.zip

and see if that solves the problem?

Does it? My god it does. Thanks a million bunch for that Chris.. :D

Pumaman

Glad to hear it! This fix is now included in 3.1.2 SP1.

abstauber

Hey,

just uploaded version 1.3 with three new features.

1) the GUI is now able to appear at your mouse cursor's xy-position
2) width and/or height can be auto adjusting. If you use a scaling background image, this might look a little strange ;)
3) auto alignment for the up-down arrows

'hope you'll like it :)

Dualnames

Oh..that's great. It was just perfect..but I think it just went better. Great man, I'm so using it. You still don't want money right?

abstauber

Hehe, thanks :)
And there's still room for improvements - unfortunately the more I add the more confusing it gets with all its variables.

Maybe for new features, I'd use comma seperated strings as variables ;)

abstauber

The dialog GUI strikes again: now it's time for 1.4 !

Featuring icon support, custom border decorations and lot's more.

To use GUI icons, you only have to rename your dialog topics.

For example
(d13,20)Good Bye

In the brackets:
d: tells the gui, that this topic is a dialog topic.
13: the icon to be drawn
20: the highlighted icon

Another example:
(i21,22)Jelly Beans

In the brackets:
i: tells the gui, that this topic is an inventory topic. Inventory topics can be sorted after dialog topics. You can also add a linefeed in front of inventory topics
21: icon
22: highlight icon

Just make sure stick to this syntax and don't forget the brackets.

Things, you should be aware of when using icons:
* You can't mix icon and text style in the same dialog. So if you want icons for a dialog, use have to use this syntax for the whole dialog. You can still have different dialogs of course ;)

* You have make sure to uncheck "say" in the dialog editor. If you want the topic to be said, you have to add the text in the dialog itself.

Trent R

Wow! This excellent module just got even better! The icon support looks awesome abs.

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

Knox

This is really great...thanks a lot for your work, its really cool! :)
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

xenogia

When I try and use it I get the following

GlobalScript.asc(64): Error (line 64): Undefined token 'CDG'

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk