Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Timothy B

Many years back we had a CRT monitor that would black out randomly whenever you wobbled the desk lightly.
I believe it was the connection on either the power cable or the VGA cable that was wiggling loose from the inner parts of the monitor itself.  I imagine it would have required some soldering, but we ended up getting a replacement anyway.

Houchin1012

Here's my question:

What is a good example of a difference between real love and infatuation?

MrColossal

An infatuation is something that is fleeting, transient. Real love is usually defined by humans to mean something that doesn't go away.

As I understand it
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

MillsJROSS

An good example of said infatuation is that girl you masturbate to in the bushes. A good example of love is your significant other pretending to be the girl who you masturbated to in the bushes.

It's a subtle difference, but it's there.

-MillsJROSS

MrColossal

Oh by the way, Mills, those new shades you got as a present for the holidays are pretty and all but can you leave them open when you get out of a shower... Kinda putting a damper on my infatuation...
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I've always wanted to know...

What exactly is your avatar holding, MrColossal?

Oliwerko

A toy horse, I guess?
I have definitely seen an original photo, this is just a pixel interpretation of it.

Stupot

Is it a second-hand sanitry towel?

Ghost

Quote from: ProgZmax on Tue 30/12/2008 11:20:42
What exactly is your avatar holding, MrColossal?

A sandwich, isn't it?

Stupot

If the System requirements for a game say 'Pentium III' surely that doesn't mean that ONLY an exact Pentium III processor will run the game.  Short of buying the game and trying my luck, how do I know if the 'Pentium Dual T2370 1.73GHz' processor on my laptop is going to run the game?

monkey0506

If the system requirements show a Pentium III, they mean, "Pentium III processor or equivalent."

According to Wikipedia's article the maximum clocking speed of any Pentium III processor would be 1.4 GHz. Also this site grades your CPU much higher than the Pentium III.

I'm not familiar with the exact processor you're using, but I'd say that as far as your CPU goes, you should be fine. Other factors would include your graphics card and RAM. Note that just because it meets the "System Requirements" listed doesn't strictly mean it will work either. You could be running 1 GB of RAM but if you're running a media player, Windows, MSN, etc, etc, etc...basically you would also need to consider how much of your system's resources are already allotted to your normal functions (those which you would run during gameplay).

LimpingFish

I want to know if Stupot is the same Stupot who sometimes has messages posted on Channel 4's "GameCentral" teletext service? :D
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Oliwerko

Stu - from my experience, I was sometimes really, I mean REALLY surprised, what my old 1Ghz Athlon, GeForce2 MX400 and 256MB of ram could handle. And, the other way around, it couldn't run some games I was convinced it should. Anyway, the minimum reqs that are shown are usually over-estimated a bit. But sometimes also underestimated.

My advice - always try a demo. After a few experiences and surprises, I don't believe the reqs anymore.

Stupot

Thanks guys.
It's nice to learn that my processor might just be able to cope with at least some games.
I'll try and get into the habit of finding demos before I buy games... it's the logical thing to do really, and can save good money.

LimpingFish - I haven't posted on teletext for about 8 years, haha.

Stupot

New question -
I want to play DotT on my Vista, but it says 'This system does not support full-screen mode' and won't let me continue.

Is there a way around this, by any chance?

Gilbert

Trent R

I recently played DOTT on my Vista laptop using ScummVM, and it worked just fine.

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

Stupot

Yeh... sorry... don't mind me... every time I play an old Lucasarts game on a different computer I forget about ScummVM... I think last time it was the sound on Sam and Max... and the solution was the same.  Thanks guys.

[EDIT]
Actually I still have a problem.
ScummVM will let me play Maniac Mansion because it runs straight off the Disc, but to play DotT, I have to install it on my computer first, and that's where the problem seems to be.  It won't let me get that far. Can you remember what you did to get it working Trent?

Mantra of Doom

All you  need to do is to copy these files off of the CD and put them in a folder on your hard drive
    * MONSTER.SOU
    * TENTACLE.000
    * TENTACLE.001

"Imitation is the sincerest form of imitation."

Dualnames

Ask something eh..?
Ok, can anyone tell me where to get a midi version(not the chorus, the full song) of the Journey of the Sorcerer ORIGINAL(there's a remix of the hitchhiker's theme which I don't want)?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk