Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Babar

The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Stee

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 12/02/2009 23:37:35
Could anyone from the UK answer this question for me?
Feel free to answer it if you are from elsewhere but I'm particularly interested in UK results...  it's for a Linguistics exercise.

What word do you use for carbonated soft drinks?

Some people say 'soda', 'pop', or 'fizzy drinks'.
What term do you use? Is it something else entirely?

I'm plotting the results on a map of the UK so could you also please say which county or city you are from.
Thanks in advance guys. :)

im from the wirral (NW) uk. And the term I use is BEER. Although we used to say pop when we were kids and drank lemonade/orangeade etc.

Coke is coke.

Soda is different. Its an american equivalent to pop, but it has far more sugar, caffeine and other "you're going to die before you reach puberty" ingredients.  ;D
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

cat

Question

I've already asked that on leo.org but didn't get any satisfying answer:

What do you call a booth at the fair where you shoot balls at empty cans and get prizes?
Does this game even exist in English-speaking countries?

The German word for this is "Dosenschießen".

Stupot

Hey Cat.
Not sure about everyone else, but I'm pretty sure I used to refer to it as the 'shooting range'.  I'm in UK if that's relevant.

cat

Ah, I used google image search with 'shooting range' but this is not quite the thing I am looking for. The thing I want to know is some kind of children's game where you throw balls at a pyramid of cans and try to crash it.

Edit: Oh well, seems this game only exists in German speaking areas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_shy#Other%20countries
Damn, this was part of a major puzzle in my game, now I have to find something different.

GarageGothic

If you google for "tin can alley", you'll see that's a fairly common term for this kind of game.

Ghost

No no, such a booth can be found at many American fairs too, it's called Tin Can Alley.

edit:
Almost beat you, Garage!  ;D

cat

Hm, I'm not sure, according to the wikipedia entry this is a game with some laser rifle  ??? Or is this just some high-tech version of this game?

Another edit: google revealed that this is probably both. So I think I can go with it. Thanks guys!  :D

link

Stee

I have a question. At the risk of sounding stupid, wtf is a hidden object game? Is it someones idea of an adventure game that takes 5mins to make and consequently complete like it think it is, those stupid pixel hunt puzzles people put into games to annoy you all combined into one game?

Im too scared to actually try one as it sounds like something that will make me want to blow my own brains out.
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

GarageGothic

I must admit that I've had more fun with casual hidden object games than with any "real" adventure released last year. But it's definitely an acquired taste. They're not really pixel hunts, as you are usually allowed a limited number of clicks (if there's a time limit, clicking randomly more than 5 times or so will usually deduct a few minutes from the countdown) and all items are visible on-screen, only "hidden" among other junk in the background.

The genre seems to be evolving though (not necessarily for the better - the first Women's Murder Club game was much more challenging that the second), with more variety, mini games, logic puzzles and dropping the arbitrary searches for 5 flowers or the letter 'Q' in the middle of a crime scene investigation.

They're not bad games, but definitely no adventure games, and certainly a very casual gaming experience. Most adventure fans will hate them, and most hidden object fans will find "true" adventure games quite boring (as evidenced by the response to Dave Gilbert's Emerald City Confidential). If you want to give them a try, I recommend Dr. Lynch: Grave Secrets written by Jane Jensen. There should be an hour of gameplay in the demo version, more than enough to make up your mind about the genre.

DISCLAIMER: Neither I nor Oberon Games can in any way be held responsible in case you actually do blow your brains out. To be on the safe side, you may want to read a review instead of becoming another casualty of hidden object game related suicide.

Stee

thanks for the response, I'm glad I was notified before i did something stupid  ;D

Ookki

Hi! I just upgraded my IE 7 to IE 8 and came up with a problem I've read on some of the posts on critics section. Every stretched pixel art picture that used to look like it had been zoomed in Paint (which was like they were ment to be) now show up as ugly blurry images. Any idea how to fix this?  :-[

Hudders

It's because it, (and FF3), use a bilinear filter on upscaled images. This is fine for 99% of the time but for pixel art it sucks.

I'm not aware of a reliable solution at present.

rharpe

Quote from: Ookki on Wed 22/04/2009 14:25:05
Hi! I just upgraded my IE 7 to IE 8 and came up with a problem I've read on some of the posts on critics section. Every stretched pixel art picture that used to look like it had been zoomed in Paint (which was like they were ment to be) now show up as ugly blurry images. Any idea how to fix this?  :-[
Uninstall IE8 then get the IE Tab plug-in for FireFox 3.0.* (You'll be happy you did.)
"Hail to the king, baby!"

Ookki

Quote from: rharpe on Wed 22/04/2009 15:05:29
Quote from: Ookki on Wed 22/04/2009 14:25:05
Uninstall IE8 then get the IE Tab plug-in for FireFox 3.0.* (You'll be happy you did.)

However, Hudders here just said that FireFox 3 has the same problem too. :D So I'm convincied that will help me too much.

Tuomas

Well it does, but it has the plugin to fix it too. I recommend switching to Opera myself ;)

Hudders

The newest version of FF3, (3.1.0.9), fixes the problem to some degree. It's not perfect but it's better than it was.

Ookki

That's quite sad. :( For me that is. The first time in my life I'm trying to use as much windowy programs as possible: IE, firewall, messenger, media player etc. :D I guess I have to end this experiment or just wait for a fix to IE, I bet they know about this already.

rharpe

Quote from: Ookki on Wed 22/04/2009 18:15:40
That's quite sad. :( For me that is. The first time in my life I'm trying to use as much windowy programs as possible: IE, firewall, messenger, media player etc. :D I guess I have to end this experiment or just wait for a fix to IE, I bet they know about this already.
Go back to IE6... it never had this problem. (Of course your security would surely be breached!)

To progress in this life you must make sacrifices, no matter how you look at it.
"Hail to the king, baby!"

Oliwerko

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk