Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Ookki

Quote from: rharpe on Wed 22/04/2009 18:36:27
Quote from: Ookki on Wed 22/04/2009 18:15:40
That's quite sad. :( For me that is. The first time in my life I'm trying to use as much windowy programs as possible: IE, firewall, messenger, media player etc. :D I guess I have to end this experiment or just wait for a fix to IE, I bet they know about this already.
Go back to IE6... it never had this problem. (Of course your security would surely be breached!)

To progress in this life you must make sacrifices, no matter how you look at it.

That would be even sadder. :D I loved IE 7 though you might not belive it. I don't know about opera. I had it for a short time before my latest reinstall and though it had some really really nice features, I thought it was a little slow.

I really hope there was a suggestions email to microsoft. You know big companies always listen to one persons opinions.  ;D

Andail

I've had some unanswered questions floating in my mind lately, but now I can only come up with two of them.

The first one is:
In the Simpsons Episode Lisa the beauty queen, Bart (who is, for some reason, supposed to be an expert on beauty and make-overs) confidently offers his advice on how to turn Lisa into a potential winner of the beauty pageant. He finishes off with something like "and then I will teach her the ancient art of petting".
Is this a joke that doesn't translate well, or am I just hearing wrong, but to me it sounds really disturbing that Bart would teach his sister the art of petting. I guess this incestuous concept would be funny in a South Park kind of way, but in a Simpsons episode it doesn't really make any sense to me.

The other one is:
In Led Zeppelin's All of my love, Robert Plant sings "Proud Aryan one word, my will to sustain". What is this supposed to mean? To my knowledge, Plant isn't a racist, or a neo-nazi for that matter, and I doubt he had the original Indo-Iranian meaning in mind. A weird place to find the word "Aryan" either way.

Any thoughts?

Hudders

It isn't "proud Aryan", it's "proud Arianne".  ;)

EDIT: I've just realised that you also misheard the Simpson's quote. It's "the ancient art of padding", (i.e. padding a bra).

Quote from: "url=http://simpsons-scripts.wikidot.com/lisa-the-beauty-queen]Bart Simpson[/url]"]Later, I'll teach you the tricks of the trade: Taping your swimsuit to your butt, petroleum jelly on your teeth for that frictionless smile, and the ancient art of padding.

I had no idea there was a website where someone has transcribed every single Simpsons episode!

EDIT2: I just reread this thread and realised nobody ever answered the original question. Here's a website for you, Stupot; hope it helps.

Trent R

Hudders, you're wrong about Stupot's original post, although mail.com does have tons of subdomains to choose from. (though I have always stuck with plain-old mail.com)
He's talking about a different service... but I can't recall the name either.

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

Hudders

I don't think such a service exists anymore. I know what you mean, but I think mail.com is the closest available right now.

Either that or a paid for service, such as this.

Stupot

I've got a big feeling it might have been 'another.com'.

These days they are a regular domain-buying site that offers hosting etc like easily and godaddy.
But I'm certain that they (or whoever I'm thinking of) used to hoard the domain names for themselves but just dish out email addresses using the domain names they owned.

Bulbapuck

I have a question, and since it's far too simple to be worth a whole thread I decided to revive this one ;)

My question is this: I've created some sound effects in .midi format. Now I realise that I can't use these for my games. :=
Does anyone know a good converter from midi to mp3/ogg/wav/voc ?

arj0n

Bulbapuck,
Maybe you should look at Direct MIDI to MP3 Converter
It's a "full featured 30 days trial program, conversion time is not limited.

Bulbapuck

Brilliant [ Arj0n ]!

Thanks a million ;D!

Stupot

Is anyone else not able to get Facebook today or is it just me?

Babar

Interesting use of this thread :D.

And no,  it is just you.

Also (despite my use of this thread not being successful before), does anyone remember this show?
It seemed to have several "skits" in each episode, and I remember one of them being this kid selling all sorts of weird, nasty stuff on the street, calling out the names (stuff like scabs and acne in jars). And it also had something to do with a TV on in a dark room. Another sketch involved this guy helping out this group of people on some island, who thought their noses were too big, but then he told them to not play checkers in the rain, so that their sweaters would not shrink.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Atelier

:-\ What were you watching? Anybody who does remember probably wants to forget...

rharpe

Has anyone here heard of Swap Tree? Have you tried it? http://www.swaptree.com/

What do you think about it? All comments welcomed.
"Hail to the king, baby!"

Nikolas

Quote from: rharpe on Fri 26/06/2009 05:33:01
What do you think about it? All comments welcomed.
Haven't tried it but I think it's an awesome idea, an awesome way, for example, to battle piracy, and a great way to also battle the greed that goes on in all companies! A legal sharing site! Hell YAY!

A pity it's not universal (then again shiping fees would be ridiculous really).

TerranRich

OK, this one will stump most of you, I'm sure. I'm remembering a song, definitely from the 1970s. It's an instrumental song, with a little bit of "funk" feel to it. I do remember that on Conan O'Brien's former show (Late Night) his band played it during the transition from monologue to first guest, I'm sure of it, so it might have been a hit once.

Either the band name or the song title had "Detroit" in it. I may be wrong, but for some reason "Detroit" sticks out in my mind. I wish I could find a clip, but hours of Googling brought up nothing. Even if I tried to hum it or vocalize it and have you all hear it, it wouldn't really sound right.

The best I can describe is a mostly "funk" feel to it, kind of fast-paced, entirely instrumental. I remember it from a cassette tape I used to have of classic rock songs from the 70s. Can anybody help?

Tuomas

I don't suppose you mean Detroit, the band, that recorded one album in the 70's? I actually only know them playing a Lou Reed cover though, "Rock and Roll". This is all wikipedia could also tell us about them :( No videos on youtube either, the Lou Reed song is there, if you wanna check it out.

Probably not Bowie's "Panic in Detroit" either? Both of these have words in them. If you could record a piece of the melody or anything, it might help us a bit.

Oliwerko

Does anyone have any experience with this "touch scroll" thing Genius mice came up with? My Logitech middle wheel is dying and from what I see, Logitech mice are either expensive or have shitty wheels.

The touch scroll thing looks interesting, but having no chance to try it, did anyone do so here?
I use the wheel/I press the wheel a lot, so it looks like a nice change.

Anyone?

m0ds

Not a question, but still an ask...

Bit of an odd request granted, but if anyone has/can get Summer Heights High theme tune in MP3/HQ format for me, please let me know - thanks! :)

monkey0506

InCreator

Few scientific ones I thought about while trying to sleep:

1) How does temperature (heat energy) act in vacuum? Let's say, we put a bowl of hot soup into airless room. Since there's no air to absorb heat, does soup suffer from any temperature loss at all (after giving some to the bowl)? I believe thermos uses vacuum somehow to keep liquid warm..?

2) Let's say there's no air on earth and I'm standing ontop of mount everest or tallest skyscraper. I throw a baseball. Can I make it orbit earth? Would lack of air friction make my throwing speed high enough to achieve needed speed? Also, since there's no air friction in space, why do astronauts in suits move so damn slow?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk