Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgil

http://www.youtubedoubler.com is your place. Just mute the video you don't want sound on. You'll be watching the second video but it'll work.

Mati256

If you are running windows just try the "Windows Movie Maker".
My Blog! (En Español)

Tuomas

So I'm looking for a couple of games again, I get so nostalgic at times since I no longer have my Amiga 1200 :(

The game had a direct sky view, though, kind of like SimCity originally had. I remember the scenery was rather dull. You were what might have been a different planet, setting your base near a lake of black liquid (oil?) that was used as a resource. You were to build your own roads between the buidings you had, and there'd be traffic also, shown on the roads as moving tiny blocks, just as in Sincity 2000. Basically I first thought it was a strategy game, but I can't remember any fighting/wars in it. Just a terribly hard city-building simulator for a kid like me who, at the time, didn't speak English at all. Anyway, this is really vague, but I'd love to see some screenshots again, maybe read about it and play it. I should mention that to my knowledge, this was not a mainstream game, I remember getting it from a collection CD, we had a lot of those.

Another one was a turn based assault kind of game that reminds me of Fallout. You'd have 4 guys going around a place which I never quite figured out (the game was rather hard). The 4 guys would be far apart to begin with, and you'd move each one in a turn. We'd play it with 2 players, just taking turns with my brother. Each character had a name and a weapon or two, and you'd go around this maze-looking building killing bad guys. Nothin original there. This one was also a view from straight above, so the characters would be more like round balls with a gun stiking out of them, showing which way he's looking. I remember this game had a bug in that there was no weight limit to your inventory, so once it got full you could start stuffing backbags inside one another. You pick up keycards and knives and firearms as you went along... I think. :D The scenery was either post-apocalyptic or a space-one!

Man. Thinking of all these games made me thing of a couple of great games I used to play.

Virus was a great game.
Elite was the first game I ever played with my dad and my sister. One would steer, one would shoot and... I guess one would translate the text to others. My dad was a real gamer back in the 80's.
Then there was this one where you'd go about a huge level with a space ship shooting missile bases and stuff. My sometimes you had to land to pick up stuff, so you'd find a smooth spot on the ground and go on with a smaller vehichle, pick it up and return to the space ship. The game was really hard and huge, I never got through it... I wonder what it was :S
And then there was Gravity Force, but we all know that one. Sorry for getting all nostalgic here :D

OneDollar

Quote from: Tuomas on Tue 13/07/2010 12:11:16
Another one was a turn based assault kind of game that reminds me of Fallout.
Only thing that comes to mind is Jagged Alliance, though I'm only going on screenshots because I've never played it. Don't know if it was on Amiga though.

karja

Quote from: Tuomas on Tue 13/07/2010 12:11:16
Another one was a turn based assault kind of game that reminds me of Fallout.

The game that pops up in my mind is Space Crusade

But I cant remeber that you started of far apart though..

Stupot

Quote from: Mati256 on Thu 08/07/2010 04:26:11
If you are running windows just try the "Windows Movie Maker".

Hehe, well I decided to make it in Movie Maker (the reson I never tried befroe was that for some reason I though Youtube didn't accept WMV format... but it does... so I did...

And the end result was okay, but lasted on Youtube for about 10 seconds before being swiftly blocked for breach of copyright... oops, haha.. still, it was a bit of practice.

Mati256

Yep, they are pretty strict this days.
I used to watch some series there, but now I can't cause they are blocking them for copyright violation.
My Blog! (En Español)

Babar

Things are still blocked for breach of copyright?!
I thought they had eased up now. I had something on youtube for a while, which I had put some commercial music over, and it was "contested" or something. I contested the contest (or whatever), and it was blocked. But now, just recently, it came online again, but has ads.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Bulbapuck

I just realised I made a huge mistake.

I was planning to have the votes for the OROW just be a poll I set up. I just realised the downsides of this. (Especially the fact that you can see how the votes are going while the voting is still going on)

I'm really embarressed :-[ Does anybody know of a way to set up a voting system? (Last minute, I know..)

EDIT: Nevermind, Al_Ninio helped me in #ags (Thanks Al :))

m0ds

Hi folk, I have an emergency issue. I just re-installed Vista onto my c drive and although I didn't choose any format drive options or see it formatting anything, my C drive appears to be completely empty now apart from the new windows install.

Last time I did thisI'm sure it didn't erase everything off the drive, but it is now showing my HD as being practically empty. Is there a way to access an old partition, or have I really done the bad here?

Yours sadly, mods  :'(

who am I kidding, its all gone now isnt it :(

Wyz

Ouch! That really sucks. Since vista was installed on that partition it looks like it created a blank partition on top of the existing one and did happily overwrite chunks of the existing data. You can have some luck with disk recovery tools, but there are no guarantees. For the best results, don't touch it! Boot from a different partition or use a live CD. Every time you start from the new partition it will corrupt your old data even further. Good luck! :(
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Buckethead

Does anyone know of a program that gives a proper alarm when the laptop battery is low? Vista doesn't seem to do anything.

m0ds

Quote from: Wyz on Mon 26/07/2010 17:05:05
Ouch! That really sucks. Since vista was installed on that partition it looks like it created a blank partition on top of the existing one and did happily overwrite chunks of the existing data. You can have some luck with disk recovery tools, but there are no guarantees. For the best results, don't touch it! Boot from a different partition or use a live CD. Every time you start from the new partition it will corrupt your old data even further. Good luck! :(

Cheers. I've tried a few things, it's definitely not bringing any old material back from that HD. sigh

paolo

I'm looking for a module that will allow me to save and restore from my own GUIs. Pablo wrote such a module but the links to it have expired.

I'm looking for a "Type a name for savegame"-type module rather than a screenshot-style one (there are a few modules of the latter variety around). Can anyone recommend something suitable? Thanks.

Chicky

Quote from: Stupot on Tue 13/07/2010 14:31:29

And the end result was okay, but lasted on Youtube for about 10 seconds before being swiftly blocked for breach of copyright... oops, haha.. still, it was a bit of practice.

That's what you get for messing with Gregory House ;)

Dualnames

Quote from: paolo on Mon 26/07/2010 20:49:45
I'm looking for a module that will allow me to save and restore from my own GUIs. Pablo wrote such a module but the links to it have expired.

I'm looking for a "Type a name for savegame"-type module rather than a screenshot-style one (there are a few modules of the latter variety around). Can anyone recommend something suitable? Thanks.

http://www.mediafire.com/?gpb4gvc4b6xzu6b

Here it is. It probably works on AGS 2.72 so make a game there, port the guis,  and port the game to 3.0 to get them into a 3.x.x game.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

arj0n

Quote from: Mods on Mon 26/07/2010 17:30:36
Quote from: Wyz on Mon 26/07/2010 17:05:05

Cheers. I've tried a few things, it's definitely not bringing any old material back from that HD. sigh
Sorry to say but when [re]installing on a partition, windows cleansweeps it first.
There seems to be no way to get your stuff back that was on that partition...

m0ds

yup. there is some recovery software but all of them cost money. oh well, fucked up days!

Jim Reed

Quote from: Mods on Mon 26/07/2010 16:53:42
who am I kidding, its all gone now isnt it :(

I get spasms of laughter when reading this line for some reason.

m0ds, look at it from the bright side, you now learned that you should backup data! =P

Babar

And to never store data on the Windows (C:) partition.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk