Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

LimpingFish

Thanks, guys. :)

Yeah, I cleaned most of the stuff out, leaving only a tiny amount on the inner curve of the springy contacts (an absolute bitch to get at). If it's okay to leave it there, I'll just ignore it. The Wiimote still works fine, so best not to tempt fate.

Thanks again.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Ponch

I have a question.

Why is it that I find Limpingfish's avatar slightly unsettling 11 months out of the year, but as soon as he slaps a Santa hat on him, it becomes incredibly adorable? :D

Gudforby

Well, doesn't it go for the same with your avatar as well???  ::)

But seriuously, animals with hats are always cute...

Calin Leafshade

Ok I have a physics question.

Yesterday my GF's car got stuck on some ice, the wheels kept spinning.

I put some cloths behind the wheels but still on the ice, and the tires got some traction on the cloth and she was able to reverse.

Now my question is.. why is this possible?

surely if the cloth is *on the ice*  then the friction is the same and the cloth just slips instead of the tires.

basically the friction of a system should be equal to the lowest friction within the system and since the tires are made of high-friction rubber they should be better than the cotton cloth.

Why is that not the case?

Wyz

Well I'm by no means an expert on physics but I'm going to spew out a theory:
The cloth might get wet because of the moist that is either on the ice or the tires. The water in the cloths is sympathetic to the ice because of hydrogen bonds so it sticks; Or maybe it just freezes onto the ice. However the cloth provides better traction.

Or something... ;D
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

LimpingFish

Quote from: Ponch on Sat 11/12/2010 04:49:41
Why is it that I find Limpingfish's avatar slightly unsettling 11 months out of the year, but as soon as he slaps a Santa hat on him, it becomes incredibly adorable? :D

The hairless-osity of the hamster factor is countered by the fuzzy-acity of the hat matrix.

H(hr)- * HT(f)+ =  :D

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

OneDollar

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Sat 11/12/2010 11:35:24
Why is that not the case?

Just guessing, but my theories...
1 - You slide on ice because the surface melts and provides a thin layer of water which acts as a lubricant. Maybe the cloth absorbs the water.

2 - The cloth provides a larger surface area, so more friction. The tyre is full of groves which aren't in contact with the ground, so aren't providing any grip. (The purpose of a tyre tread is to carry away water from rain or ice, to stop the tyre slipping. A bald tyre actually has much more grip than a tyre with a tread because more of it is in contact with the road, but as soon as there's water involved - rain, snow, ice - it starts to slip. If I'm right about guess 1, that wouldn't be an issue for the cloth).

3 - On a cold winter's day the rubber in the tyres is much harder, and won't mould itself to the ground (this is why winter tyres are better in the snow - they're made from a different compound that stays soft in the cold). The cloth can mould to the ice and provide more friction.

Ponch

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sat 11/12/2010 19:35:26
Quote from: Ponch on Sat 11/12/2010 04:49:41

The hairless-osity of the hamster factor is countered by the fuzzy-acity of the hat matrix.

H(hr)- * HT(f)+ =  :D

Ah! So it's science! Adorable science!

ThreeOhFour

Also you have an unnaturally strong fondness for all things Christmas, Ponch  :D

Ponch

Quote from: Ben304 on Sat 11/12/2010 20:30:35
Also you have an unnaturally strong fondness for all things Christmas, Ponch  :D

Speaking of...

I'll be hurt if you don't use it! ;)

Edit: And to anyone that doesn't love Christmas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ysfQjKKi70 ;)

Ryan Timothy B

I have a more important question..

Why is OneDollar spelling it as Tyre? Damn English.  ;D I'm Canadian and I'm not even that bad. ;)

Also... why does Barefoot use a BMP image for his avatar that is almost half a MB. Damn man. Think of the bandwidth and those poor chinese people that have to run that information to my computer... That is how the internet works, right?

m0ds

What is run > sndvol on XP sp 3? Yay

Peder 🚀

What is the song playing in this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-5BIhItn18

Been listening to it for ages trying to figure out the lyrics sung in the ending to try and search for it but no luck so far..

DoorKnobHandle

Quote from: Mods on Sun 12/12/2010 05:57:46

Hit the Windows button + R and type in "sndvol". It's your Windows mixer. :D

Atelier

Peder, look through this: http://www.myspace.com/scanners. According to one of the comments this band recorded the song for the video, not sure how reliable that is.

Peder 🚀

Yeah, checked it but haven't actually found the song. And in one of the other comments it is mentioned they never found it on there neither..

m0ds

Quote from: dkh on Mon 13/12/2010 01:20:02
Quote from: Mods on Sun 12/12/2010 05:57:46

Hit the Windows button + R and type in "sndvol". It's your Windows mixer. :D

It doesn't load by typing in sndvol, so I'm wondering if I need to type something different. The only way to open it is double click the speaker icon, but I was hoping I could type something under Run also :)

DoorKnobHandle

Oh, misunderstood the problem there, sorry. There is a way to open it in the system settings but it's easier clicking the speaker icon. Apparently "sndvol" only works on Vista and newer..?

InCreator

Since same question was horribly derailed with irrelevant notions last time, but I'm still wondering, I ask again:

setting:

let's assume that you're... God. Or Neo, and world is fully implemented Matrix... or whatever.
Anyway, it is important that you see everything, you hear everything.
And you can "zoom in" to any scale in the universe. For example, to flea level and see flea in "full size" and hear every sound it makes, etc.

Well, and you can zoom in to atomic level. See atoms close up, how they act etc.

case:

A brick wall stands in the wind. You zoom in to atomic level. You can actually see air molecules impact with the ones of materials bricks are made.

questions:

* How would it look? Would it be equivalent to sky raining asteroids, with "explosions" everywhere, some of the air molecules binding with ones of whatever-brick-clay-consists-of, atoms flying apart from impact, etc?

Logic - slight wind for us is a hurricane to an ant. How about an atom?

* Would you see surface of brick decaying endlessy all the time and simply the super minor scale of this happening causes bricks to last... seemingly forever for us? Or are things much more stable even in so microscopic world?

* How would it sound? I believe there is no sound where is no friction, and everything around us makes noise, even though we don't hear even fragment of it... But atoms are all about friction and impacts... imaging you "zoom" so close, would there be hell of a "noise" with billions of impacts happening every second? Or is there some physics law that kills sound at some point?
Well, sound is movement of air, right... Would wind blowing against brick wall cause enough force to actually make airwaves?

...again, it doesn't matter at all who or what observer is. Might aswell be a super microscope & microphone from year 3605 AD. No humanly limits!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk