Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Fri 14/01/2011 10:11:18
Quote from: cat on Thu 13/01/2011 16:20:18
Did you mean MrFlibble? http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?action=profile;u=2068

Yeah that's him. I misspelled his name.
I also mispelt "misspelled"
I also misspelt "mispelt"

On a totally unrelated note:  I'm glad he changed his avatar, the old one (with the weird guy holding a puppet) was weirding me out. :-)

That was the most awesome avatar! Apparently you've never seen RedDwarf. Anyhow, you're acting strangely a lot lately. Posting like a total maniac. I'm fine with posting, and I'm not the one to judge anyone's posting, but I just wanted to say that, cause you didn't use to act that way. Now you seem to be overexcited about something. Just that, don't be angry or anything, you know I like you. Just wanted to say that after seeing your epic triple post :P
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Dualnames on Fri 14/01/2011 10:16:15
That was the most awesome avatar! Apparently you've never seen RedDwarf.

Well because of him I googled it some time ago. But it doesn't make it less freaky :-)

Quote from: Dualnames on Fri 14/01/2011 10:16:15
you're acting strangely a lot lately. Posting like a total maniac

Just to clarify: My very last post was just to say "Thanks" (because I believe it's not cool to ask for something and then omit to aknowledge the answer that was kindly given).
Also, the reason why I asked what happened to MrFlibble was not just to comment on his Avatar, I had something to tell him.

I must admit, though, that my posting has changed a bit. Since it seems weird to you (and many others, according to the response I've been having lately), then here is a non-exhaustive list of reasons :
- I've been living in Ireland for 3 years and I still can't get used to the English-speaking way of interacting (passive-agressive rather than bursting anger like we Latin poeple do when we disagree). That reflects in my posts, as I've started perceiving it in written interactions (in the past, I had no clue, so I was more happy-go-lucky).
- Sadly, even though I master the English grammar, I still don't master my written tone, therefore I've got this skill to immediately offend everybody about anything on forums. That's depressing, believe me.
- That Gobliins post was indeed out of the blue, I was exhilerated by the tune
- I'm excited by the progress of the Dune Revival project
- I'm frustrated by the total stagnation of the AGSH project, and the fact that it will become completely useless the day the community will start refactoring the Engine if ti becomes open-source (the clock is ticking!)
- I'm bored in my job.

I'm in no way starting a conversation about my private life - But like any sane person, I feel like I have to explain when someone openly tells me "hey, you act like a weirdo". I'm in no way offended, but rather grateful that you tell me.

PS: What triple-post?

Dualnames

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=36356.msg565235#msg565235

This one, btw I can't believe I've ever had a more satisfying and full answer in my life.  So just for that, cheers.  :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Dualnames on Fri 14/01/2011 14:11:18
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=36356.msg565235#msg565235
This one

Oh, OK.
First one = an answer for some dude
Second one = Thanks for answering my own question
Third one = A new question

I have a tendency to post several times when it's about unrelated things. Moderators have often blamed me for that bad habit. I'm taking some pills to fight it ;)

tzachs

Monsieur, I actually kind of like it when you sometimes post 'frantically' and sometimes you're relaxed. You're unpredictable, and that makes you an interesting character.
In the same way as Dualnames is also unexpected...

I also liked the Gobliins post, and enjoyed the music, it was nostalgic. I didn't reply because I didn't have anything productive to add to that, it didn't mean that I didn't appreciate your post.
Carry on with the good work!

Wyz

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Fri 14/01/2011 13:56:54
- I'm frustrated by the total stagnation of the AGSH project, and the fact that it will become completely useless the day the community will start refactoring the Engine if ti becomes open-source (the clock is ticking!)

That is actually true, also I was planning on creating a STL implementation for AGS which would also be useless however:
The code will be useless, the ideas will not be, it would just mean you'll get to try them out directly on the engine! Wheeeee!  :D

I don't know if that makes you more, or less excited, it makes me very excited though.
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Peder 🚀

theo

Is anything stopping me from making a game in AGS and selling it on steam?

If not, is anyone doing this?

If nothing is stopping, and no one is doing it, why is that?

ThreeOhFour

If I remember correctly, both PuzzleBots and Time Gentlemen Please are both sold on Steam, both being AGS games.

I also seem to recall Dave Gilbert and Grim getting their applications to have the Blackwell games and Downfall respectively declined by Steam, but I very much doubt that has anything to do with the engine, my guess would be it had something to do with content.

There is a section in the manual regarding making commercial games, and the things you should know with regards to licensing, but this isn't directly Steam related.

So, yes, AGS games can be and are being sold on Steam - although they're sometimes a bit picky about who they accept, so this is another reason more people aren't doing so.

Edit: Also, I think Ben There, Dan That! is on Steam as a freebie, if I remember rightly. I don't actually use Steam, but I am quite sure this is the case (feel free to correct me if I am wrong here)

OneDollar

Quote from: Ben304 on Sat 22/01/2011 11:17:51
Also, I think Ben There, Dan That! is on Steam as a freebie, if I remember rightly.

Ben There, Dan That! and Time, Gentlemen, Please! are sold as a double pack (Ben There, Dan That! being freely downloadable elsewhere). So it's sort of free, but only if you buy Time, Gentlemen, Please!.

Igor Hardy

Besides TGP Steam also has Puzzle Bots.

I remember reading somewhere that the reason behind the fact so many games are outright rejected is because negotiating with Steam is such a lengthy, complicated (and apparently boring) process that even Steam itself is not keen on it. If you're a small indie, you need to dazzle them with important awards, or past financial successes, to get them invest their time in talking with you.

ThreeOhFour

I did mention puzzle bots!  8)

But yes, I've also heard that getting a game on Steam can be a pretty tedious process.

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Ben304 on Sat 22/01/2011 14:30:22
I did mention puzzle bots!  8)

Sorry Ben, my eyes must have been distracted by some passing Airwave.

ThreeOhFour

theo

Steam does seem random in many ways.  :-\ Anyhow, thanks for your thoughts on this, guys! Confusingly enlightening!  ;D

So another question then: Many players have widescreen monitors, many don't. Is there a common solution to this issue when building AGS games? I'd like to be certain my assets aren't being squashed and stretched at random.

Igor Hardy

Quote from: theo on Sat 22/01/2011 22:14:29
So another question then: Many players have widescreen monitors, many don't. Is there a common solution to this issue when building AGS games? I'd like to be certain my assets aren't being squashed and stretched at random.

I'm troubled with that fact too - even the modern re-scaling low resolutions to full screen with proper aspect ratio technology sucks - it all goes blurry. :(

I guess, the only solution for not distorting the image without the user being able to temper with the settings is playing in windowed mode.

Speaking of which, I have my own related question... Most people have at least 1280x960 resolution capability in their monitors by now, right? So I can pretty safely spread Snakes with the default setting of windowed, 1280x960?

theo

I can't even select 1280x960 in the general settings pane of my game. Can you? What am I doing wrong, lol?
I'd like to run my game at 1280x720. A nice resolution in my eyes. I wonder if monitors in general can handle it in full screen...

I think as long as you're going for windowed you're fine. Most people should be able to fit it onto their screen. I think it's a real shame not to run games in full screen though... For me, windowed really ruins the immersion.

Calin Leafshade

AGS supports 2 aspect ratios.

320x240 gives 4:3
320x200 gives 16:10

I recommend (if youre going low res) to go with 320x200 for 2 reasons:

1) alot of people have widescreen monitors with 16:10
2) If they dont letterboxing looks much nicer than pillar boxing.

Igor Hardy

Quote from: theo on Sat 22/01/2011 23:00:37
I can't even select 1280x960 in the general settings pane of my game. Can you? What am I doing wrong, lol?

You can multiply the resolution of your game by 2, 3, or 4 times in the winsetup file's settings.

Anian

Well if it was movie, there would be no doubt, but since most games last longer than 90-120 minutes to playthrough, it wouldn't be very good for the monitor to have two black lines linger on after you played the game. (still "pillar boxing" looks better I think) On the other hand, as theo mentioned, windowed playing usually breaks immersion somewhat.
On some level, you might want to think about "the future" and the trend shows more people getting widescreen monitors, so I suggest going with widescreen and so people can play it in a few years as well.

[unimportant part]As tv program, it's silly when tv networks emmit 4:3 picture, when you basically can't buy a 4:3 tv for the past few years. To add to that, they make money from advertisements, so their target is people with money, people with money usually buy a new tv in some intervals...ok, ranting now, but the problem is I think that doesn't relate to pc monitors so much.
Adventure games with old style GUI actually profit from 4:3 since in the end the art is about 16:10 anyway, but GUI is minimizing all the time so the argument in modern games doesn't stand.[/unimportant part]
I don't want the world, I just want your half

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk