Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Saren

Do I need to keep all of my receipts?

Tuomas

Atelier

Why does the moon shrink when you look at it through a camera?

Anian

Quote from: Atelier on Tue 08/02/2011 18:28:17
I think a quote from the pervious anwser would be in order here:

Quote from: Tuomas on Sun 06/02/2011 16:28:22
No, not all of them.
;D
I don't want the world, I just want your half

(deleted)

(deleted)

Tuomas

Good question.

Dutch is in fact very close to German, well, both are Germanic languages. The difference is, that at one point, when the German language developed so, that certain diphthongs, such as ei, eu, äu were pronounced as differently, where as in Dutch most letters are pronounced the way they're written. The Dutch also have only 2 genders, one for he and she, and one for it, whereas German has der, die & das. There are quite a lot of differences between German and Flemish, but they do look the same. The thing is though, I bet most Germans could easily read a text written in Flemish, they couldn't understand it spoken. There's a funny classic story about this written by Johann Peter Hebel from 1808 called Kannitverstan.

In the story, a German man is in Amsterdam(?) for the first time and can't understand anyone. He finds beautiful, gorgeous things and asks people, who does this belong to. People always answer "kannitverstan", which ist the equivalent of the German "kann nicht verstehen", which means "I don't understand". But he doesn't understand it even though the pronounciation is close - he thinks this Kannitverstan is a happy, rich man who own everything.

Ok, I don't speak German as a native language, I just study Germanic languages, so I can't really say if some people find it easy or hard to understand on another. But I know a lot of Dutch people who speak good German.

Tuomas

I'm going to double post because I have my own question:

My green audio jack (hole) popped off the motherboard of my laptop. It's just loose there, and rattled for a while, but now nothing works. There's a connection failure (no shit), and it claims, that I have a plug connected to it. That's why it sends the sound into imaginary earplugs and not the laptop speakers. I should believe, that it were possible to just go around the green jack and play everything through the speakers.

They're both controlled by the same driver, so uninstalling the earplug driver didn't help. Yes, I know, I should buy an USB-audio card or something, but for that, I'd have to go a long way, there's no electronics stores in the centre, or the ones there are are dead expensive.

Well, nevertheless, any suggestions how to disable the hole in the front and to use the speakers? I realised this silence is killing me, especially when people keep linking me youtube videos.

Monsieur OUXX

This is only a hypothesis:
When you watch it with your real eyes, you have a certain angle of vision. That is, you can see the moon and stuff on its right and on its left. However your brain has atendency to igonre that side information.
But the camera takes everything that's within the angle and projects it "as is" onto the picture. Once you see the scene 2D, your brain doesn't filter anything out, and the moon appears as a tiny element part of a wider scene.

Long things shoirt: I don't think it has mainly a geometric cause, I'd say it's more of an information processing illusion caused by your eye/brain.

Then again, I might be wrong, I got this answer from the top of my head.

zabnat

Quote from: Tuomas on Fri 18/02/2011 11:52:42
My green audio jack (hole) popped off the motherboard of my laptop...
Open it, check if the jack is fixable, probably not, and then take the whole jack out. If the machine says that plug is connected there might be a short circuit or something. This should be fixed when the whole jack is removed from the motherboard. If not, then the short has caused some damage to the board and the only thing left to do is probably getting that USB-audio.

Moon also shrinks when it goes up in the sky. When the moon is near the horizon its huge, but when it's directly above its tiny. This is a common illusion and I bet with a camera illusion breaks. See wikipedia about moon illusion.

movti

i need your help finding an ags game which was released about 3 to 4 years ago.
generally it was a comedy game. there was a pipe smoking moon and as i remember there was blues music during the game. unfortunately i can't remeber anything else atm but i guess you'll know which one i mean.

think i found it... the long trip

m0ds

Every time I use Hotmail it freezes and I get this error:

QuoteScript: https://js2.wlxrs.com/_D/F$Live.SiteContent.Messenger/4.2.61210/release/Microsoft.Live.Core.LocalStorage.FF.js:39

In Firefox, is there a way to disable this script/all scripts somehow? Thanks

Tuomas

Quote from: zabnat on Fri 18/02/2011 21:18:14
Quote from: Tuomas on Fri 18/02/2011 11:52:42
My green audio jack (hole) popped off the motherboard of my laptop...
Open it, check if the jack is fixable, probably not, and then take the whole jack out. If the machine says that plug is connected there might be a short circuit or something. This should be fixed when the whole jack is removed from the motherboard. If not, then the short has caused some damage to the board and the only thing left to do is probably getting that USB-audio.

yeah, I opened the whole thing, but realised the jack was under the motherboard, so I couldn't get to it. Soooo... I took my spike and hammered the thing in. The only problem, my HD connection is just right behind it, so I don't want to mess up the whole 'mputer. Anyway, the green stuff and a metal ring fell out of it, all shattered. Sadly it didn't work. But, at least my laptop still works, though now it's got a hole in the front panel.

arj0n

Quote from: Mods on Sun 20/02/2011 16:17:09
Every time I use Hotmail it freezes and I get this error:

QuoteScript: https://js2.wlxrs.com/_D/F$Live.SiteContent.Messenger/4.2.61210/release/Microsoft.Live.Core.LocalStorage.FF.js:39

In Firefox, is there a way to disable this script/all scripts somehow? Thanks

NoScript

WHAM

Quote from: Tuomas on Sun 20/02/2011 17:40:23
yeah, I opened the whole thing, but realised the jack was under the motherboard, so I couldn't get to it. Soooo... I took my spike and hammered the thing in. The only problem, my HD connection is just right behind it, so I don't want to mess up the whole 'mputer. Anyway, the green stuff and a metal ring fell out of it, all shattered. Sadly it didn't work. But, at least my laptop still works, though now it's got a hole in the front panel.

From my own experience as a Fujitsu Siemens warranty techie, the situation is like this:
You need a new motherboard, which costs a lot of money. If you take it in for warranty, they will most likely state, that the damage is due to "physical damage" and not covered by warranty, as in most cases such damage is caused by having an audio plug connected while transporting the laptop, which causes bending, stress and breaking.

I would recommend disablind the integrated audio chip altogether and getting a separata USB sound "card" if at all possible. Cheapest and easiest solution.

EDIT: Oh, and about the hole: red or black (whichever colour you prefer) electricians tape. Keeps dust out and sticks forever.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

m0ds

theo

The new version of JD will be featuring characters with nice fancy 24 bit alpha transparencies. Being rather frame-heavy, this will most likely leave the game immensely large (mb wise). Is there some easy way of compressing these assets? "Compress the sprite file" yields no results, and I see no point trying to compress them before sticking them into AGS.

edit: to my great relief I just noticed the game compresses beautifully when I zip the whole thing. I guess file size while unzipped isn't really a big issue nowadays so maybe there's no cause for alarm. Any thoughts?

theo

lolz I just did some searching and these came up. I'll try to remember to do my research before asking next time. Thanks:)

WHAM

What is wrong with my car?

I have a 1999 Peugeot 4D 406 SEDAN 2.0I, which has developed some kind of screeching syndrome.
The engine makes a screeching noise that gets louder as the revs go up. The noise approximately doubles in strength if the steering wheel is turned, and I can feel slight tugging on the wheen as I turn.

Wait, what forum am I on again?

This isn't the peugeot forums!

. . .

Oh well... *click*
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Tuomas

Sounds like you should go and change your timing belt as quick as possible. Though I'm no mechanic, but I can ask my step bro, he's a professional. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk