Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAM

Quote from: Tuomas on Wed 02/03/2011 15:41:50
Sounds like you should go and change your timing belt as quick as possible. Though I'm no mechanic, but I can ask my step bro, he's a professional. :)

And THAT's what I like about the AGS community. A place for anything and everything! =D
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

mode7

Do you have servo steering? I know little about cars myself but the hint with the steering wheel could mean that it's the pump of the servo steering.
Depends if its really loud so you can hear it from far away it could also be the V-Belt rather than the timing belt. The later would probably very expensive to fix.

WHAM

I've been reading peugeot forums and the symptom seems to point towards the servo steering. It seems that it may start to leak some oil, or the tubes begin to crack / leak, letting air into the system.

We've been having -30C temperatures for weeks and now we've had -3 to -7C temps for a couple of days, so that may have caused issues as well.

I've also contacted a car repair shop to see if they can take a look at it ASAP.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Mati256

Hello!
I am thinking in buying a 500GB External Hard Drive.
I have two options, Hitachi and Samsung. I know Samsung is a well known brand in TV and other stuff, are their HD good to? Hitachi is a lot cheaper.  ;D
Are there any computer geeks with an opinion on this subject?
My Blog! (En Español)

Anian

I'm looking at a crossroad in my life and while I want to go study abroad (mostly UK, USA etc.) and the requirement is usually some certificate that rates your knowledge of english language. Mostly it's connected to Cambridge evaluations, and as far as I could figure TOEFL and Cambridge ESOL (CAE and CPE) are the ones that are most wanted/worth. But it seems TOEFL is worth more in universities (at least in Europe) but it lasts for 2 years (why a time limit? I have no idea, probably money and greed) and CAE supposedly goes in a CV and can be used when seeking employment.

So, I'm wondering, if somebody has experience with it, how are CAE certificates generally accepted in UK/USA universities? (you can pm as well)
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Moresco

Quote from: Mati256 on Thu 10/03/2011 00:02:25
Hello!
I have two options, Hitachi and Samsung. I know Samsung is a well known brand in TV and other stuff, are their HD good to? Hitachi is a lot cheaper.  ;D

I think it depends somewhat on the model, but for the most part I would avoid Samsung....and Hitachi if there are any other options?  Otherwise, just as a shot in the dark because they're both pretty much as good, I'd go with Hitachi.  I've had several Samsung drives, all with one sort of problem or another.  If you can find a Western Digital or Seagate, might be better choices.  That's all based on experience with those drives.   Sadly, even the best company will now and then put out a dud.  Do a research on the model number for both drives you are considering.  Google them and you'll get feedback.
::: Mastodon :::

Dataflashsabot

If a sentence of speech begins with an ellipsis, is it correct to capitalise its first letter?
Quote"...maybe not."
or
Quote"...Maybe not."
?

m0ds

If anyone from Mittens spain (benidorm) passes this, can you please remind me what we did when we went to Barcelona. I remember bars, having a stroll, and then I just remember being in a car the next day heading toward Peniscola. Where did we stay in Barcelona? Or did we just walk about all night? This is troubling me. :P

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Dataflashsabot on Sat 12/03/2011 17:46:14
If a sentence of speech begins with an ellipsis, is it correct to capitalise its first letter?
Quote"...maybe not."
or
Quote"...Maybe not."
?

I couldn't tell for sure in English, but if it's the same as in French, then in theory, you're not supposed to start a sentence with "...". This is some incorrect syntax inherited from the comic books. Having said that, let's accept this form and let's pretend that we don't see the suspension dots. Then it's your regular sentence : "Maybe not." (then again this can be tolerated only in a dialog, as all sentences are supposed to contain a verb, except for a few exceptions).

Since it's a sentence, then yes, you start it with a capital letter.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: WHAM on Wed 02/03/2011 17:06:13
I've been reading peugeot forums and (...) it seems that it may start to leak some oil. We've been having -30C temperatures for weeks.

HEY! We build our cars to carry around loads of cheese! Not to go out in Siberia! You crazy abominable dude!

Wyz

"...maybe not." or "...Maybe not."?

The ellipsis indicated that something has been left out, if you start a sentence with "..." you are telling you've left out the beginning of the sentence. Since this would also have contained the cap you should continue lowercase after the ellipsis.
However, as Mister Ouxx pointed out, sometimes it is used in comic books to indicate a pause, in that case the beginning of the sentence isn't left out so it should start with a cap. Though you could wonder if you should use the ellipsis at all in that case. :P
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Dataflashsabot

Quote from: Ouxxey_games on Tue 15/03/2011 09:09:54
I couldn't tell for sure in English, but if it's the same as in French, then in theory, you're not supposed to start a sentence with "...". This is some incorrect syntax inherited from the comic books. Having said that, let's accept this form and let's pretend that we don't see the suspension dots. Then it's your regular sentence : "Maybe not." (then again this can be tolerated only in a dialog, as all sentences are supposed to contain a verb, except for a few exceptions).

Since it's a sentence, then yes, you start it with a capital letter.

Quote from: Wyz on Tue 15/03/2011 12:47:07

The ellipsis indicated that something has been left out, if you start a sentence with "..." you are telling you've left out the beginning of the sentence. Since this would also have contained the cap you should continue lowercase after the ellipsis.
However, as Mister Ouxx pointed out, sometimes it is used in comic books to indicate a pause, in that case the beginning of the sentence isn't left out so it should start with a cap. Though you could wonder if you should use the ellipsis at all in that case. :P

It's speech for an AGS game, after a character tries something stupid. The ellipsis is indeed there to provide a pause, comic book-style; it's not to imply a prepended 'or'. So from the advice here, it's correct to capitalise, but somehow it 'feels' better without, so I might take some liberty. I dunno. Thanks!

bicilotti

[quote author=Dataflashsabot link=topic=36356.msg572469#msg572469
It's speech for an AGS game, after a character tries something stupid. The ellipsis is indeed there to provide a pause, comic book-style; it's not to imply a prepended 'or'. So from the advice here, it's correct to capitalise, but somehow it 'feels' better without, so I might take some liberty. I dunno. Thanks!
[/quote]

Why don't you just get rid of the ellipsis and use a pause ingame. AGS allows that and you'd be grammar compliant!

Wyz

Yes, AGS is equiped with it actually:
Code: ags
player.Say("...");
will result in a pause.
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Monsieur OUXX

Seriously, the fact that you choose to write comic-style puts you in a situation OUTSIDE of regular grammar rules. Therefore you may capitalize or not. Your rules.

And maybe in 100 years some linguists will trace back the origins of some very formal capitalization rules from your game :-D

Abisso

Quote from: Mati256 on Thu 10/03/2011 00:02:25
Hello!

I've had bad experiences with Maxtor which now's been acquired by Seagate, and good experience with Hitachi. I'm neutral towards WD since I've only used my external WD hard disk just a few times, and I've never known Samsung sold hard disks too.

My suggestion is to buy two cheap ones, and regularly mirror them. The only safety is in duplication.

*his mind goes to that time he had to manually rename 60.000 files miraculously recovered from his broken hard disk*
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

zabnat

Quote"...maybe not."
or
Quote"...Maybe not."
?
As others have said there is no proper grammar for it. But I would go with lower case. Because how I see it an ellipsis breaks the sentence therefore when beginning the line with an ellipsis it would be continuation for the previously broken sentence and should be lower case. That is how I see it. I am not a native speaker so this could be just guessing.

Quote from: Abisso on Fri 18/03/2011 17:10:31
My suggestion is to buy two cheap ones, and regularly mirror them. The only safety is in duplication.
Seconded. Hard drives today are so cheap that you can easily afford buying them double for you invaluable files.

Moresco

*his mind goes to that time he had to manually rename 60.000 files miraculously recovered from his broken hard disk*

60,000?!??! dear god man! I would have given up after 1000 files.
::: Mastodon :::

Abisso

Quote from: Moresco on Sun 20/03/2011 02:27:00

60,000?!??! dear god man! I would have given up after 1000 files.

Well, not exactly 60.000, to be honest. Some of them were automatically restored with their extension too, thanks to a life-saving application. But surely more than 10.000. The event stole my will to create AGS games too (since I was been able to recover game development files just partly), and still, 5 years after the accident, I haven't created anything else.

Back on topic though: my netbook's motherboard battery doesn't work anymore, and at the start, I'm asked to load BIOS default options to go on, which is a bit annoying. Expired batteries are a common event with PCs, and it takes just 5$ + 5 minutes to change it. But in this case, I'd have to open the netbook completely to reach the battery and this is both dangerous for its integrity and time-taking. Question is: other than having to press F2 every time I turn the netbook on, and having a wrong time and date, what are possible extra problems a dead CMOS battery can give?
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

Eggie

Ooh... ohh... I have a question! I have a question!

How would I go about asking to license a chunk of The Byrds version of 'Hey, Mr Tambourine Man' for my student film. I've searched forever and I can't find who to talk to, I think the ambiguity stems from it being a cover.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk