Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Mati256

I think you want to use the Pattern Stamp Tool.

PS: Khris thanks for the font.
My Blog! (En Español)

InCreator

No that's not it. I want to

turn leaf into batch of leaves, which means basically, spray same leaf around while it changes a bit of brightness, has random rotation and size

Hudders

I have done that before but only by accident! I have no idea how to reproduce it!  :-\

Oliwerko

Okay, here we go with another "guess the song" request.

The night before last, approx. 3 am some nutshell around the block kept playing this song over and over again loud as hell in their car (probably). It was a slow ballad sung by a female vocalist. It stuck in my mind after hearing it like 20 times (before the police shut them down), but I couldn't make out the words.

What I know is that the most recurrent word was "you". Nothing surprising in love ballads, I know. I remember that there was a phrase "about youuuu" with a falling pitch in the chorus (I'm talking only about the chorus here, the rest was too far away to hear), and then something like "I remember (to saayy)" - the part in the brackets may be completely off, it's just there for the rhythm's sake, it was simply two syllablles sang over 4 falling notes.

Now I guess this is too little to identify, but maybe I'll be lucky. Anyone?

Stupot

Oh man.  I need help.
So the other day I wanted to switch off my built-in microphone, and I did this by going to 'manage my audio devices' in Vista, and selected 'Don't use this device (disable)', assuming that I would be able to 'enable' it again at a later time.

I just went to do that because I wanted to play around in 'Midomi' after reading this very thread, and now it looks like there is no sign of my mic, at least not in the 'manage my audio devices' section nor the 'Realtek manager'.

Have I unwittingly uninstalled the mic?  because to me 'disable' and 'uninstall' are two very different things.

Any Idea how I can get it back?

Khris

Look for it in the device manager. Press Windows+Pause, then click the menu option at the top left. You should be able to re-enable it in there.

Stupot

Thanks Khris. I managed to do it a different way.  I didn't realise that in the 'manage audio devices' window you can simply right-click in the empty space and check 'show disabled devices'.

Crisis averted :D

Dualnames

Quote from: Oliwerko on Tue 17/05/2011 14:38:34

The night before last, approx. 3 am some nutshell around the block kept playing this song over and over again loud as hell in their car (probably). It was a slow ballad sung by a female vocalist. It stuck in my mind after hearing it like 20 times (before the police shut them down), but I couldn't make out the words.

What I know is that the most recurrent word was "you". Nothing surprising in love ballads, I know. I remember that there was a phrase "about youuuu" with a falling pitch in the chorus (I'm talking only about the chorus here, the rest was too far away to hear), and then something like "I remember (to saayy)" - the part in the brackets may be completely off, it's just there for the rhythm's sake, it was simply two syllablles sang over 4 falling notes.

Perhaps it was Alone by Heart?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Tabata

I don't think, that it's that easy to find, but sometimes ... so possibly it's  Roxette's "A Thing About You"?

Well, there are a very lot "about you" 's in it, but no "I remember" and only once we have "youuu" with 4 falling notes (at 2:17) and twice with 3 falling notes (at 2:01+3:08)  ::)

LRH

Okay, a few questions:

1.) Is it possible to use some sort of phone to send video in real time to a computer? If so, which models, etc?

2.)Does anyone know of any legitimate writing/transcription jobs that allow telecommuting? I don't mind grunt work...I could use something though.

Snarky

1. The iPhone lets you do video chat, and I'd guess some Android phones too. (I actually thought mine did, but I can't see an option for it in Skype.) Then you can be on a computer on the other end, and even record the video.

m0ds

2. You mind find something of interest at peopleperhour.com, or other 'freelance writer' job sites. However on all of them you bid for jobs which can make it a bit harder in the early stages but the sites never seem short of work.

Grim

Quote from: Oliwerko on Tue 17/05/2011 14:38:34

Was it Adelle's "Someone like you"? It's on the radio all the bloody time... I figure if someone was to listen to some track over and over again it would be that these days.

NickyNyce

I have question regarding game design and how to go about doing it,

I have a couple characters at the moment and after some puzzle solving I would like to switch to the second one, but now I would like all hotspots and objects to say something different. These character's will not share inventory or even see each other, but i want the room states to stay the same.
I figured I would just make new rooms using the same backgrounds as the first character, and figured this would work, I'm sure using global variables would be the other way to go about it.....if not the better way.....like using if (This player) say this....or if (that player) say that.....can someone give me a push in the right direction here....

thanks

Scarab

Quote from: NickyNyce on Tue 24/05/2011 12:47:17
I have question regarding game design and how to go about doing it,

I have a couple characters at the moment and after some puzzle solving I would like to switch to the second one, but now I would like all hotspots and objects to say something different. These character's will not share inventory or even see each other, but i want the room states to stay the same.
I figured I would just make new rooms using the same backgrounds as the first character, and figured this would work, I'm sure using global variables would be the other way to go about it.....if not the better way.....like using if (This player) say this....or if (that player) say that.....can someone give me a push in the right direction here....

thanks
Although technically you should be posting this in Beginner's Technical Questions, it's easier to just answer you here. Just keep in mind to go there in future for questions like this. :)

You'll be glad to hear that this is quite simple to do.
Under each description for the hotspots you put an if statement.
Code: ags

if(player.ID == cEgo.ID){ 
  cEgo.Say("Cool, an XBox! Can't wait to play!");
 }
 else if(player.ID == cGirl.ID){
  cGirl.Say("Sigh, an XBox. I hate those things.");
 }
 else{
  // If the player character is anyone but cEgo or cGirl
  player.say("An XBox. I have no strong opinions on it.");
 }

Note that if you simply want the new player character to repeat the same line, you can use the player.Say() command.

To set the player character you can simply use the SetAsPlayer command.
Code: ags

/// put this in the code for a GUI button or however you plan to change it
cGirl.SetAsPlayer();
///Seeing as the characters have different inventories, you might want to call this command on the InvWindow
invMain.CharacterToUse = cGirl;

Hope that's all you need to know, PM me if you have any troubles.

NickyNyce

Thanks a bunch Scarab, I was going to place this in the beginner's section but unfortunatley placed it here instead....I always lose these coin flip situations.  :P

This was very helpful and I appreciate the reply, Thanks again

Stupot

Quick question.

I'm probably one of the few people left who has never used Steam.  But they're offering the three Sam and Max seasons for 66% off.  I only want Season 1 at the moment, and it's only £5.79 with this offer.

The difference between Season 1 and Seasons 2-3 is that Season 1 is not marked as "Steam Play", which I gather meand that you can buy once and down load as many times as you want, for the benefit of people who have PCs and Macs?  Is that right?

But Season 1 doesn't have this label.  Does this mean that if I buy the game now and my laptop rejects it I will have to rebuy the game if I ever wanted to download it again for a new computer?

That's why GOG is so awesome.  I've bought a couple of games on there that havent worked on my shitty laptop, but I don't mind waitng til I have a better computer before I paly them because I can just download it again, since I paid for it already.

Cheers.

P.S. Okay, maybe that wasn't such a quick question, but I'm sure the answers will be ;)

LimpingFish

@Stupot http://www.shacknews.com/article/63793/steams-pcmac-steam-play-game

Also, if you just want to download a game again, after setting up Steam on a new computer, you won't have any problems. Steam games are tied to your account, not to any specific computer. You can only play them on one computer at a time, though.

Basically, Steamplay Sam & Max will be available to you on either PC or Mac, depending on when and where you want to play them. You only pay for it once.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Stupot

Ahh okay so the Steamplay thing is just for the PC/MAc issue, and simply downloading the game onto two PCs wont be a problem?  That's what I wanted to hear.  Thanks LimpingFish :)

[update]
I couldn't resist it.  I bought all three seasons for £11.90.  Even if this laptop can't handle them I'll have them ready to play when I get a new pooter.  I love a good bargain, me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk