Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

bicilotti

Tabata

Quote from: Chicky on Tue 13/03/2012 21:55:17
Chicky has chicken pox D:

It's the most annoying illness of my adult life.

Fix me? You said you could help!

Edit: Worth noting that i have consulted a doctor and am not actually looking for a cure on the AGS forums, more of a plea for sympathy  :=

Maybe it would help you to get some company?

Let's try this:

Poor guy - looking like a crumble cake isn't that appealing ;)

Stupot

Sucks to be you, man.  It's supposedly much worse if you're an adult.  Get well soon.

Chicky

anain: Thanks for the kind words, I keep telling myself that it's just my body playing minesweeper, and the game'll be over soon.

Bici: You see what I did there?  := It actually didn't occur to me until I started typing.

Arj0n: Thanks, but that could take a while!

Tabata: I win, I have more face pox. Talking of company, it sucks pretty bad because I live alone and can hardly go out for supplies,  I've lost my appetite anyways.

Stupot: Thanks man, very kind words  :) It's been pretty hard, bit of a shock to my usual life.

Anyway, I won't steal the thread any longer. Consider my question answered :)

Nikolas

Silly question for some but perhaps worth asking it...

my personal website is hosted on hostfolio.com for 80$ per year. I've decided that I don't really want to pay that much and one.com offers 5 GBs (and some traffic, which either way has never been an issue) for 15 euros per year (which is a hugely discounted price).

So the question: Can I 'move' my website to another hosting company (it's in flash completely). and if so any ideas on how to go about it?

selmiak

absolutely do it. 80$/y is way too much.
if you use relative links and no absolute links on your webstuff it should be no problem at all. When you use absolute links you have to adjust them to point to the corrects pages and that your files are embedded from the correct address.

InCreator

Simple (?) math question:

How to implement rolling motion in a game? Can any math geniuses give me simple code?

x = ...?
y = ...?

quick sketch

Of course, the rolling should be uniform, like tracking a point on rolling ball, and not my lousy freehand drawing.
Whoever explains this so I could use it, gets credited in new, awesome game coming out next week or so!  :)

Victor6

Is this something spinning through the air, or rolling like a ball?

If it's the latter. you want:-

Snarky

InCreator

Not the latter, I need spiral like I drew, not arches. And yeah, it's something moving through the air

TomatoesInTheHead

These arches (as shown in the wikipedia article, too) are only a special case of cycloids, you can get more spiral-like cycloids if you let the circle spin faster.

Basically, you just add a uniform horizontal motion to a uniform rotation.
The horizontal motion is:
x = xspeed*t
y = 0
The rotation is:
x = radius*sin(rotationspeed*t)
y = radius*cos(rotationspeed*t)
Add these, and a starting point, and you get:
x = start_x + xspeed*t + radius*sin(rotationspeed*t)
y = start_y + radius*cos(rotationspeed*t)

Then you can fiddle with the speed values to get the spiral you like (increase rotationspeed or decrease xspeed to make it more spirally)

InCreator

Eh, rotation. It does work but after hour of trying, I decided to scrap the idea; I have no clue how to dampen it, values must be very specific towards each other to get good result, direction and speed I use can be totally random and even when balanced out at best  it feels very unnatural and blinks like hell. It's easier to just make some rotating sprites.

Thanks anyway.

E: What did I needed it for? Well, my weekend accidentally found me remaking old DOS game Paratrooper...

I thought about different, upgradeable weapons and one gun would shoot flak, which I thought would be awesome if clusters of flak would rotate like angry bees (very wip pic yet):

nihilyst

Hey guys,

for ages, I've been trying to find out the artist and the name of the painting that (in form of a tapestry) hangs in our living room. Here it is:

My father is sure that, when he bought it ages ago, he had been said that this is based on a painting by some painter. I myself have absolutely no idea about that kind of stuff, so I hope one of you does. It's not an important question, to be honest; I just wanted to know it.

An image search via Google didn't bring up valuable results. I guess the colour of the tapestry has worn off heavily over the years.

sonneveld

Quote from: nihilyst on Mon 19/03/2012 14:37:47
I've been trying to find out the artist and the name of the painting that (in form of a tapestry) hangs in our living room.

Used tineye, apparently it is an 18th century painting by Guardi Francesco of some Italian port.  That should give you enough to go on. :)

tineye search: http://www.tineye.com/search/a353ce3a9247a3c0eae0c28b7066129bce44236b/

results: http://www.crofteuropeantapestries.co.uk/tapestries/Mercanti-307.htm
http://www.medievalwalltapestry.com/mercanti.html

bicilotti

Mhhh, I was going to say William Hogart (or one of his numerous epigones, like Longhi).
Doesn't really seem like Guardi's (or Canaletto's / Bellotto's ).

I would be a bit wary of a site who states
QuoteBring a romantic spirit of the Middle Ages to your home with this wonderful tapestry!
referring to a XVIII century painter ;)

Nontheless, incredibly nifty little site, sonnenveld!

edit: does anyone recognize the city in the background? It could be a nice lead!

Snarky

A number of sites seem to agree that it's from a painting of Venice by Francesco Guardi, some identifying it as "Mercanti 1738" (if that's the year, it must be mistaken, since according to Wikipedia Guardi's first signed work was ca. 1739). This seems to be the full version (or at least the most complete I've found). It doesn't actually match any paintings of his I could find online (and the composition doesn't seem like his style), though most elements are found in various of his paintings.

Tabata

bicilotti

Quote from: Tabata on Mon 19/03/2012 17:28:04
Yes, the painting the tapestry wallhanging is based on should be the Capriccio with a Seaport and Classical Ruins from Francesco Guardi (Italian, Venice 1712â€"1793 Venice).

v 2.0 of the capriccio here. That seems quite different from the tapestry, though.  ???

This riddle is getting me mad!

Anian

18th century paintings in general would make for good game backgrounds...the mix of different architectural styles makes it weird though and hard to place inside a story...stupid romantics.  :P
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Anian

How does one spell check your post on these forums? I see people using it (says at the bottom of the message that the post was spell checked), but, as far as I can tell, that function isn't turned on on this forum...I am so confused.  ???  <-- see
I don't want the world, I just want your half

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk