Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Khris

The first thing I'd try is replacing the power supply. They're pretty cheap (though you should consider getting a not so cheap one) and it sounds like yours is currently dying of consumption.
A friend of mine had to do the old powering on and off to get his PC to work and the problem disappeared once got a new power supply.

I have this one; it was 50â,¬ and it's pretty quiet and most important of all delivers a steady 500 Watts.

Domino

Thanks for all your input. I had purchased another back-up computer, but it crapped out on me and is being shipped back for a refund.

Shawn

RoliX

Hello,

I need somebody with decent english knowledge! :)
I wrote a short letter to my english class and I need somebody to read it and fix some grammer mistakes. It's very short, I think you can read it in 1-2 minutes.
If you can help, please PM me!

Thank you very much! :)

Babar

Unless it is something private, I'm sure you can just post it in here.

Unless you're trying to get us to do your homework for you!
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Nikolas

Well... it appears that he is trying to get us to do his homework, but anyhow... We're kind enough... Go ahead post away!

Now, on my problem.

I'm an idiot. There...

I did a survey a couple of years ago, which can be found here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHJEbHNvMmQzYUhHVWRKMHBncmR6Q3c6MQ The survey is alive, so it's still collecting date!

HOWEVER, I'm NOT sure with which account I made it happen, and none of my current accounts has the right file (google docs). I'm wondering if there's a way to see which email I used to create this and then I can recover the password and all that...

Hilfe?

selmiak

*uses internet shoppping for FURNIOTURES and get srejected from the sourvey!*
ohm man I'm feeeeeling so rejected on my opionions on modern shopping .. shop more onions!!!

Ali

A flash animation question from someone more used to After Effects: I'm using the motion editor in CS5.5 and I want to adjust the keyframe type (smooth/corner) for the X property of a symbol but not the Y or Z property.

I can't seem to do it. They are linked and I can't find an option to unlink them. Surely it's possible?

DoorKnobHandle

Do we have people here at least somewhat experienced in/familiar with composing music for orchestras? If so, let me know please, I have a couple of questions!

Nikolas

Quote from: dkh on Sat 10/11/2012 10:42:58
Do we have people here at least somewhat experienced in/familiar with composing music for orchestras? If so, let me know please, I have a couple of questions!
Oh come on...

I still frequent this forums, even in silence...

Just PM me with any questions you may have and I'll do my best to reply in a speedy manner! ;)

DoorKnobHandle

bicilotti

I just broke my nth pair of earbuds and am pretty pissed off (to elaborate a bit: right earbud sound went off). I read on the net that this problem is pretty common.
This weekend I am going to shop for a new pair, I would like to buy something that will last me more than six months without breaking: do you know of sturdy earbuds? Is it a good idea to buy bluetooth ones (the rationale being that the cable is the weakest part of ordinary earbuds)?

Calin Leafshade

I like Shure earbuds.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-earphones

Expensive but they have detatchable cables and a 2 year warranty.

InCreator

Simple and quick:

What's the formula for this graph?
y = ...?

What for:
to change the value of a variable from 1 to 0 as represented with this curve in a for-loop - starting off slowly, then quicker, and then slowing down again. Note that X goes steady +1 in every cycle.

P.S. I hate every math teacher I had: stuffing my young brain with this crap BEFORE I actually got into game making and found actual use for it. And now I don't remember squat.

Anian

*rant*I hated my math teachers (the one in grammar school was basically eyeing the girls and the one in college would make it all seem clear in class but when you got home it dawns on you that you don't understand anything) and my music teachers - the one in elementary school was drunk 90% of the class and the one in grammar school was teaching advanced stuff along with dictating every detail of a composers lives which was mostly irrelevant to music). It was mostly me being uninterested in math and music theory, but they're the ones that kept it uninteresting. :grin:
*/rant*

So anyway, I suck at math, but wouldn't you need a cosinus curve y=cos2x (that way it has the value of y=0 when x=pi/2). Now to get all the values positive, you cut y in half y=0.5cos2x (you make the amplitude half so it goes from +0.5 to -0.5)  and then add 0.5 to make it all postive so y=(0.5 cos 2x) + 0.5

That'll make it so when x=pi/2 y=0, but we need x=1 and y=0 so maybe we multiply x with 2/pi so in the end it should be y=(0.5 * cos(4/pi*x)) + 0.5
I'm sure somebody is better at math than moi, but it does feel good to get the brain working a bit.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

selmiak

looks good.
To have the minimum at 1 you use
y=(0.5 * cos(pi*x)) + 0.5
for every other userdefined value for when the curve reaches 0 use
y=(0.5 * cos(pi*x/(x_value_for_touching_zero))) + 0.5

InCreator

Nice, my little tile-based light engine (sort of) works now.
Edge falloff still feels rough, but I don't think formula's to blame, but redrawing same area

E: Yeah, a bit of adjustment and it's perfect.

Thanks!

bicilotti

Quote from: InCreator on Wed 28/11/2012 12:32:40
Thanks!

Looks nice, but I wonder: it is efficient? will it scale gracefully?
Once you found a 'perfect' value for all the parameters you might want to apply something like Taylor's approximation. Just computing sin and cos lookup tables would help.

InCreator

Wikipedia gives me headaches. I cannot understand a symbol on this page :(

Anyway, given that "engine" was just few creatively wasted hours on experimenting, I think it turned out pretty lovely :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhxImIat0uI&feature=youtu.be

Nikolas

Hello,

I'm baffled beyond belief! I have 2 hours of video in avi format (which isn't quite a format, but whatever right now)... The video plays fine on both my computers,in VLC and in chrome (just tried it), but does NOT work in premier, or after effects, or windows movie maker (!!!!). They just grab the audio.

I've uploaded a small file (6 MB more or less) here: www.nikolas-sideris.com/AGS/avi.avi

If someone (or more) could download, take a look and tell me what the heck is wrong and how to fix it, I'd appreciate it hugely!

Thanks!

selmiak

works fine in AE CS4 and VLC. Firefox stutters on it when played directly in the browser.
not that it should matter for adobe video editing software but I'd try reencoding it to xvid as this is the standard basic avi codec (with worse compression and more artifacts than avc h264 but maybe it works).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk