Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Thomas

Quote from: InCreator on Thu 07/03/2013 04:02:01
Does anyone know how does CG mastery happen?
Here is my point of view on this:

Might look like a joke, but it's more then less true

No, I don't think you need any formal education.. But you can't expect to draw/paint/design something you don't understand, so you do need to study and understand. Attending to classes/courses/activities helps a lot since you can have a more experienced artists(teachers) point out what you need to work on, and of course they share their knowledge and have a plan for you(the class) how to achieve and understand what ever it is you're trying to learn.

The master artist who create those breath taking pieces has it all, knowledge, skill, devotion. It's not really about be able to handle a pen, even those 3D Sculpts the artist has a excellent understanding of anatomy and aesthetics, it's not about the tools but the knowledge and experience he puts in to his art piece.
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

Anian

So I'm looking for a movie/series, sf in nature. The plot was connected to a teleport device where stuff did teleport (or maybe just disappear and then reappear, can't remember exactly), but with a delay. Soon the main characters figure out that stuff actually goes into another dimension or something similar.
If anybody might know the name of this, would be appreciated. It's probably something obvious, but it just escapes me for the last two days. :(
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Khris

That reminds me vaguely of Michael Crichton's Timeline. (Tech Company builds teleportation device, accidentally discovers time travel, Archeology students in France go back in time to the hundred years war to rescue their professor.) Pretty cool book, mediocre but enjoyable movie with Paul Walker.

Anian

Quote from: Khris on Wed 13/03/2013 21:25:33
That reminds me vaguely of Michael Crichton's Timeline. (Tech Company builds teleportation device, accidentally discovers time travel, Archeology students in France go back in time to the hundred years war to rescue their professor.) Pretty cool book, mediocre but enjoyable movie with Paul Walker.
Heh, I actually have the book and the movie wasn't all that good. But no, it's not that.

Gilbert

BTW Timeline was featured in the movie guessing thread, and no, I didn't enjoy this crap movie either.

Sylvr

I have an unimportant trivia-finding question:

What is the longest this forum has gone between new members joining?
| Ben304: "Peeing is a beautiful thing, Sylvr" |

bicilotti

So, I have a question for web programmers.

I have a small website (+ space); I would like to upload some photos to share them with friends. As those pics are meant to be private, I was fiddling with some authentication method to allow only folks with user/psw see the pics.

Problem: I have no problem "blocking" unauthorised access to, say, example.com/picpage.php .
But what about example.com/pic01.jpg ? <-- This loads the picture without invoking any javascript/php/html, so it is effectively bypassing the login.

I asked a friend and he told me every client request sends headers, so it should be possible to 'vet' the request before serving the resource. But I don't know how to check those when the resource asked is a .png instead of .php .

Maybe with apache config?

Khris

Something like this in your .htaccess should do the trick:

# Turn on the RewriteEngine
RewriteEngine On

#prevent outside image access
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(.+\.)?domain.com/.*$ [NC]
RewriteRule .*\.(gif|jpe?g|png)$ http://domain.com/no_hotlink.gif [R,NC,L]

This will redirect all image file requests not originating from within *.domain.com to http://domain.com/no_hotlink.gif

Cerno

Quote from: Anian on Wed 13/03/2013 19:04:28
So I'm looking for a movie/series, sf in nature. The plot was connected to a teleport device where stuff did teleport (or maybe just disappear and then reappear, can't remember exactly), but with a delay. Soon the main characters figure out that stuff actually goes into another dimension or something similar.
If anybody might know the name of this, would be appreciated. It's probably something obvious, but it just escapes me for the last two days. :(

You're not talking about Primer, are you?
Awesome movie, that. But it's more about time travel than teleportation.
123  Currently working on: Sibun - Shadow of the Septemplicon

Anian

Quote from: Cerno on Tue 09/04/2013 18:27:15You're not talking about Primer, are you?
Awesome movie, that. But it's more about time travel than teleportation.
I don't think so, unless it was from the beginning of Primer or something.

Cerno

I guess it's not it then.

Primer is about two guys who spend their off-time inventing stuff in their garage and inadvertently invent time travel.
The time travel mechanism is really complex and very hard to grasp on the first few viewings
Since you put in stuff in one end of the machine and take it out at the other, your description kind of reminded me of that. On second thought, that's not similar at all.  :undecided:

But the movie is very realistic, has a very unique time travel mechanic and achieved an impressively professional result on the very tight budget of $7000.

Anyway, sorry, can't help with your question ;)
123  Currently working on: Sibun - Shadow of the Septemplicon

kconan

What is the largest scrolling room size (in pixels) ever used in an AGS game?

Ponch

Quote from: kconan on Fri 24/05/2013 03:15:43
What is the largest scrolling room size (in pixels) ever used in an AGS game?

Well, in Barn Runner: The Rich Dame Who Cut The Cheese...
Spoiler
I used one that was 6,560 pixels wide.
[close]
Do I win a prize?

Anian

There's a boom of Kickstarter projects and something is f-ed up with it's videos (the ones on the front page of each project). I've tried in Chrome (which is updated) and FF, but both give me just a picture instead of a button and video player.
The weird thing is that if I press the "Embed" link below the video, I can play the videos from there and I can play videos which are linked (like from RPS or some other site). Which is really weird. I also can extract the link to the video file with Inspect element viewer and play it in a new tab (but this is really annoying).

Now it might have something to do with iframes and or html5 support check. In the Inspect element view I saw that the page checks if I have the html5 capable browser (which I should since it's the latest update of Chrome) and instead offers the .jpg (which is apparently what happens).
Oh, btw everything else, like youtube etc., works fine (as far as I am aware).

Now why I haven't tried googling this problem? Because if you f-in google anything with "kickstarter" you get just a bunch of project pages.
So anybody might know what the trouble is?

Khris

Have you tried updating your Flash player? It's definitely not Kickstarter's fault because everything works fine for me, in FF as well as Chrome.

Anian

Quote from: Khris on Fri 31/05/2013 12:38:15
Have you tried updating your Flash player? It's definitely not Kickstarter's fault because everything works fine for me, in FF as well as Chrome.
I've checked the version already and it's the latest.

Khris

Do you have a second Windows account on the same computer? Or try the guest account. Maybe it's due to some account specific setting.

Anian

Quote from: Khris on Fri 31/05/2013 15:38:04
Do you have a second Windows account on the same computer? Or try the guest account. Maybe it's due to some account specific setting.
Well if it's that, I'll probably leave it (nothing but trouble with multiple accounts in my experience). Since it's just Kickstarter, that's probably not that though, but thanks for the suggestions.

EDIT: well for some reason, today KS decided it will show the videos...for some reason.

MiteWiseacreLives!

You guys know of any way to restore to a previous save on a file?  Twice now I've gone a long ways into the same background and while saving the program crashed and destroyed the file. ARRRGGG!

Monsieur OUXX

I hate photoshop! Help me!

Once again, I'm baffled by Photoshop's weird behaviours at pixel-level. And I'm unable to find why it's acting like that.

I have Photoshop CS3. I've selected an area of a layer, using the magic wand and then finishing with the lasso. The "anti-alias" box is unticked. The tolerance is 0.

Then, I hit "del" to erase what's in the selected area.

That's where trouble kicks in: Despite "anti-alias" being unticked, it seems like Photoshop tries to smooth the deletion, and erases pixels OUTSIDE the selected area (some pixels located at the selected area's border, in every place there is dithering).
Additionally, it doesn't completely delete those extra-pixels. It just increases their transparency a little more every time I hit "del".

So, how do I make Photoshop strictly delete the pixels I've selected, all of them, only them, and completely? Like in any regular drawing application?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk