Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

On the other hand, The Silver Lining did run into problems, and was almost forced to shut down.

Another point is that the Leisure Suit Larry license is has remained more active than most of the other Sierra series, what with those crappy 3D games and now the remake of LSL1 just released. It's owned by Activision, so they're the ones you would have to get in touch with. I don't think you'll have much luck, though. It would probably be easier to just go ahead and take the risk of a cease-and-desist.

Adeel

Yes, I don't like 3D Larry too.

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 12/07/2013 17:58:45I don't think you'll have much luck, though. It would probably be easier to just go ahead and take the risk of a cease-and-desist.

The amount of time spent and dedication on this project is going huge. But it will not be of any worth if we have to put the game down :(. Sadly, I will have to abandon this project...

But I am happy that I asked you all first. In this way, I don't have much regret.

Snarky

As everyone always says, don't start out trying to make a huge game. Even a short little game is surprisingly time-consuming to make, and the practice will give you a better sense of what you can and cannot do.

That said, there's nothing stopping you from making a LSL-like game, just with a different main character. What about...

A game (set in the 70s, maybe) where you play as Harry Hefner. Your cousin is a famous playboy/publisher, but even though he's your role model, you've never managed to live up to the Hefner name. However, you've recently landed a job as a reporter for a small-town newspaper, moved out of your mother's home, and you know that this is the start of your new life as a sophisticated ladies' man and swinging bachelor! You'll fill the paper with sexy articles and features, your cousin will notice you, and bam! you'll be living in the mansion as his second-in-command and wingman. Unfortunately, your single-mindedness, obliviousness and naiveté makes you miss the real story of what's going on behind the small-town facade...

Adeel

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 12/07/2013 19:01:51
As everyone always says, don't start out trying to make a huge game. Even a short little game is surprisingly time-consuming to make, and the practice will give you a better sense of what you can and cannot do.

Originally, the plan was to start working on that project after I had released my short game, so that I would have more experience.

BTW, your story seems a nice starter. I am going to think about it, planning out details. The real intention behind the promotion etc...

Stupot

Cat lovers!
Not sure this needs its own thread so I'll plonk it here.
My friend is emigrating to Australia, possibly in the next few months, and she can't take her gorgeous 5-year-old kitties with her.
If anyone reads this and might consider adopting two cats (she would prefer they stay together, as they are siblings) then click on the link below.
Scroll down and find Winnie and Pugsley, the two black kitties.
http://www.northbirmingham.cats.org.uk/northbirmingham/adopt-a-cat/adopt-via-our-direct-homing-scheme/

P.S. Click only if you are a kind-hearted animal lover.  I'd hate for my friend's cats to end up eaten by a crazy guy from the internet.

------------------------------------------
[Edit]Here is the relevant section in jpg form :)

selmiak

the link is not working, not even with .co.uk or just .org

Stupot

Quote from: selmiak on Tue 16/07/2013 21:51:43
the link is not working, not even with .co.uk or just .org
Weird, it works fine for me. Nevertheless, I have copied a screenshot of the relevant section and put it the post above :)

selmiak

sweet, how much for shipping to mainland europe? :D

AGA

Works for me too.  Perhaps they have some bizarre country filter in place to stop foreigners stealing their cats.

selmiak

today the page works for me too. Strange...

Myinah

I re-homed a five year old cat when the owner developed a chronic illness and began having allergic reactions to her fur. It's honestly the best decision I ever made. She's a bit old and fat now, but she's the loveliest girl. I hope they find a good home.

Nikolas

Ok.

This must be one of the weirdest questions ever, but here goes...

I want to create a video (with premier) that has a scrolling score. The tempo (speed) remains the same, so "all" I have to do is to make a long enough image and arrange for it to move from one side to the other, right? right! (I've done it before and it works fine)...

The problem in this case is that the work in question is HUGE! Like 48 pages of a normal book.

So, while working on Finale (notation software), I managed to make it into one HUGE portrait format page. The size is 2500 cm x 15 cm! ;D

And I've managed to make it into a PDF file fine (after many attempts...). Finale will not export such a large image, and generally speaking such a large image (which is about 90,000 pixels wide x 1181 high! ;D) will create various problems.

So question time:

1. How can I turn this pdf file into an image file (png, tiff, bmp, whatever)? Acrobat pro doesn't like anything above 72 dpi, which turns the image into shite
2. Once this is done (I did make an empty page to try it), how can I import it into premier? Premier doesn't allow such size images into it... :(
3. Other than reducing the size of the image all together, is there another idea perhaps? I can't cut the image in half, or anything, cause it's continuous music and as such I'd like to keep it rolling...

Thanks...

EDIT: Bliah... Premier will accept images of up to 32,768 pixels in any direction. So I need to shrink it thrice for this to work... Oh boy...This is going to be fun...

jwalt

On sale today, only $19.95. But is it art?

Without the intention of starting a 3D vs. 2D argument, I do have a question. I consider myself a better modeler than artist, which pushes me in the X,Y,Z direction, instead of just X and Y. I can usually make inorganic stuff that looks okay, but organic forms like men and beasts have proven illusive elusive. I've been buying stuff from DAZ 3D recently. When do I truly cease being an “artist” and become a set director? Most of the stuff in a scene will still be mine, and animating the characters still requires my input, but is there some cross over point? Just curious.

Edit - Spelling/usage error.

Gilbert

Quote from: Nikolas on Tue 20/08/2013 23:07:19
1. How can I turn this pdf file into an image file (png, tiff, bmp, whatever)? Acrobat pro doesn't like anything above 72 dpi, which turns the image into shite
Or try to use PDFXchange (which replaced [Acrobat] Reader completely to me). Most useful functions are still available without paying for it. One function I use very frequently is File -> Export -> Export to image... which prints selected pages into image files of customisable sizes. I don't know whether there is some size limitation in the exported image though.

Nikolas

Thanks... Downloading pdfxview right now...

But my problem still lies.. I have an image which right now is simply too wide. I need to cut it three ways in order to fit inside premier and the music does NOT allow for such thing to happen. If I shrink it x3 it will also shrink the height, so from 720 (which is the normal height for my videos) it will go down to 250 or so, which is simply too small... :(

The more I think about it, the more I think that I should cut the image three or four times, simply to make the image files managable...

Gilbert

I've never used Premier (and any "serious" video editing programme to this matter), but about cutting up the image into three parts, why can't it work? You may need to place the 2nd image carefully such that its left edge sticks to the right edge of the 1st one when the video plays to the cutting part (and the same with the 3rd image) for the scrolling to be seamless. Is that very difficult to manage?

Nikolas

heh... Actually no, it's not too difficult to pull off I think. Just some serious cropping to do at such size images, but none the less doable!

I'm a moron: for some reason I only thought of cropping the images INSIDE Finale, which is moronic. I can do the same thing in gimp or PS or wherever really... Gosh...

Thank you ^_^

Gilbert

I just have a crazy idea. I think Premire can take a batch of still image files as frames and generate a movie from them? Otherwise, there are definitely other software to do this quickly.

So, what about making all those frames yourself from the loooong original image and then import them? I know there will be A LOT OF frames but you do this only once.

I quickly pieced together a small programme to do this. You may download it from here. A quickly generated 70000 x 720 tested image is included. You can double click  test.cmd  to see how things go. Beware that for moving 100 pixels per frame in that test case around 700 images will be generated and it will take some time, and it will take even longer if you need more frames. Also it's poorly written, and not thoroughly tested, so it may fail.

Nikolas

Ok.

This is almost too much!

THANK YOU KIND SIR! THANK YOU!

Gilbert

I've actually updated the tool a bit:
https://files.myopera.com/gilbot/junk/Image_Scroller_V0.80.zip

You can now use a floating point number for the displacement per frame (in case you want more precise timing, so that say, exact 1000 pixels passed in 1 second, then for a 30FPS movie you need to scroll 1000/30 ~ 33.333 pixels per frame). The real displacements are still integral values though for obvious reasons (so if you set it to say 1.5, the image will move like 1px, 3px, 4px, 6px, etc.). You can also set it to a negative number for the image to scroll from right to left.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk